Tributes Thread

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Lordy, was that him? I never knew. Excellent stuff.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    I've been leafing through/reading Margaret Mitchell's Gone With The Wind of late. The prose is superb.

Anyway, it's amazing that Olivia de Havilland, who played Melanie Wilkes, is still alive at 100, many decades after the passing of her co-stars Leslie Howard (enemy fire in WW2), Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh.

23fd59cb7e95d0bfbecba337adb93645.jpg

I do hope this post doesn't jinx things, but it is kind of astonishing, as the film belongs to another era.

Her sister was Joan Fontaine, an actress who appeared in Rebecca and who herself only died recently having reached a grand old age. What's sad is that I gather they both stopped speaking to each other decades ago, not sure of the reason but one would think that having grown old together and seen mutual friends and family pass, that they would have buried the hatchet...
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Kirk Douglas and Vera Lynn are also still alive. I wish them all the best :)
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,230MI6 Agent
    edited June 2017
    RIP to Molly Peters, a very memorable Bond girl in Thunderball. 75 is a long and good life if you ask me. 007 magazine had a small clip of her acting in the 1971 movie Zeppelin posted on their Facebook page in tribute to her, since for some reason it is not listed on her IMDB page.
    RIP Peter Sallis of Last of the Summer Wine and Wallace and Gromit fame, a good innings at 96 years old but another national treasure is lost to us.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Rip Peter Sallis, for me he will always be ratty in wind in the willows
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,569Chief of Staff
    RIP Peter Sallis -{
    YNWA 97
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    RIP Peter Sallis I love all the Wallace and Gromit adventures.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Sad to hear of Peter Sallis' death. Can't believe that he was 96! The Last of the Summer Wine indeed. -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    RIP Adam West - loved you as Batman and in Family Guy -{
    YNWA 97
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Oh no!! Rip Adam West
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    RIP Adam West, another legend passes.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    The quintessential original Batman.
    Absolute legend, Mr West will be missed.

I thought 2017 wss supposed to be better than 2016? :(
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    Very sad but West , like Moore , was getting very old now.

Met him 2015 & '16 , he smiled and fist bumped me when I told him I was born Sept 19 as him :(
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    When I was a kid I'd watch re-runs of Batman with a sense of all seriousness, but when I got older I understood and appreciated the joke. RIP to Adam West, who entertained me during both stages of my life.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    RIP Adam West
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    I've probably watched Adam West's 1966 Batman movie at least 100 times. I love the scene where he is in Kitka's apartment and the other super criminals break in on them. He summons every ounce of righteous disdain he can muster as he utters "You ... filthy ... criminals!!!" That line gets me every time.

Adam West was THE Batman of his generation and I don't think I ever heard anyone say a bad word about him. For all the grief he got from being typecast he always conducted himself with grace and good nature.

I've lost a lot of my childhood heroes lately: Leonard Nimoy, Roger Moore and now Adam West. They all lived good and productive lives but their loss still hurts and their absence lingers.

Rest in peace Adam West.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited June 2017
    Adam West was My Hero - before James Bond, before anyone else. I was five years old...and here comes a TV show with the coolest guy ever...a loud, aggressive, campy spectacle...but to me, it wasn't campy, or over-the-top, or cheesy, or absurd. It was - quite simply - the coolest thing that has ever been rendered for my own eyes, and my own pleasure/delight, and it undeniably adjusted my expectations for what fun escapism would hold in the future.

I have read endless accounts of his generous nature with his fans, during signing events at mundane car shows, comic book conventions, etc., et al., and no one ever has a single negative thing to say about him. We should all aspire to such.

I have unabashedly adored Adam West, through his career ups and downs, watched him in B-movies (a favourite of mine is Robinson Crusoe on Mars), and applauded his resurgence, in his golden years, as an animation voiceover actor. His Facebook posts, where he made a Thanksgiving dinner, or simply posed for a selfie in his kitchen, were quietly wonderful.

I wrote a screenplay, for which I had a specific role for him - a supporting part, as a morning-drinker career alcoholic insurance company CEO...but alas, it never shall be.

What a prince of a man. What a Hero. A father, grandfather, and great-grandfather. An icon...and a gracious and delightful human being. My thoughts are with his family and close friends. I am merely a fan...but I shall miss him. The world is poorer for his absence.

I am heartbroken :(
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    Loeffelholz,

Well said, I couldn't agree more. That show set my imagination on fire as a little kid; Steve Austin and James Bond would further fan the flames!

I was going to meet him here in Boston this year, but alas it will never be. It makes me very happy that I took the time to meet Lee Majors, "The Six Million Dollar Man." He too is incredibly down to earth, funny, kind and generous. There is unfortunately a real shortage of these old-school, stand-up guys. Sir Roger included!!!

Tonight at 9PM Pacific, the L.A. Police Chief and Mayor are lighting the Bat Signal at City Hall in honor of the ONE and ONLY Caped Crusader!!! -{ -{ -{
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Just hearing that our former cancellor Helmut Kohl has passed.

I've never voted for him, I was strongly against his politics in my youth - but he was making Germany's reunification possible and he's one of the fighters for the EU integration and the Euro currency.

None of them was and is flawless but his visions went into the right direction.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Thought of you when I heard the news, Higgins. Condolences to the German nation.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent
    RIP Brian Cant. A lovely man that made a lot of children my age happy.
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
    RIP John G Avildsen, director of the original Rocky...

Also RIP Glenn Headley who was most famous for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Dick Tracy with Warren Beatty.
    Saddened to hear of the death of Brian Cant, RIP -{
    YNWA 97
    Yeah, I didn't realise he narrated Trumpton and Camberwick Green.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Just read that Michael Nykvist has died at the young age of 56. Most people would know him as the precursor to Daniel Craig's part in the original Dragon Tattoo film. RIP
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I learnt today Adam West died (well I have been away ) that's so sad ,he was my Batman 1966 I was 7 , we had nothing like this on TV ,unless you include Andy Pandy ,enough said .We sat rooted to the screen, in awe of Batman ,the joker ,the riddler the penguin ,
    it had it all ,Thank you Batman ,RIP
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Another kids' legend has died, Michael Bond, creator of Paddington and, it turns out, The Herbs (Parsley the lion, etc).

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Just read that Michael Nykvist has died at the young age of 56. Most people would know him as the precursor to Daniel Craig's part in the original Dragon Tattoo film. RIP

Great actor - so young! RIP
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Sad to hear of the death of the death Michael Bond, the creator of Paddington Bear, aged 91.