The Ed Maggiani Collection

1235»

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    That is original. Me likey.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    DSCF5025.jpg

looks very similar to M&N Replicas Display ...

and my prototype Replica stand i made about a year back ..

still very nice though .. I tryed a few different things had the hat
    angled and straight in the bars
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,350MI6 Agent
    This is the best display I have ever seen - nothing come close - great job!
    Just received this photo that my friend sent showing a display he constructedf which shows his VERY ingenius way to display his Oddjob hat replica.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    \
    007-ge_hat-oddjob.jpg
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Hi Guys!!!
    Working on the extendable arm dagger device worn by Benicio Del Toro’s character Dario in “License to Kill”
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

007-LTK_DarioArmDagger01.jpg

007-LTK_DarioArmDagger02.jpg

007-LTK_DarioArmDagger03.jpg

007-LTK_DarioArmDagger04.jpg

Very nice Ed. Reminds me of the WWW sleevegun device. I got the e-mail from George last night, I think he did a fantastic job with OddJob's hat!

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    edited October 2009
    Ed, your friends Odd Job hat looks great, infact the best I have seen, is he doing a run ?

Makes the M&N Replicas one that Mick posted, look like a badly made toy, but at £250 / $400 a pop. I would not have been impressed if I had bought one.
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    My friend only made the display stand. He purchased the Oddjob hat from a propmaker that did a very short run.

His machining of the metal underbrim was spectacular. I know it's hard to see in the photo but the edge is somewhat beveled giving a sharpened metal look. It's also much thicker than the SD Studios version.

This particular replica was seen on the "Mythbusters" James Bond gadget myths show seen here in the States. The hosts tested out several of the myths surrounding James Bond gadgets supplied by Q-Branch such as can a magnet deflect a bullet as RM's watch in LLD, etc, etc.

Anyway, they used the prop made by this propmaker as a basis for the trial to see if a hat could sever the neck of a statue. The crew used his metal underbrim as a guide but made steel versions to replace the aluminum one used in the prop.
    Did it work....YOU BET!!!! Took that head RIGHT off!!!

If anyone is interested in getting a display stand email me at ( thefudds@aol.com ) and I'll talk to him about making some.

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    Reminds me of the WWW sleevegun device. DG

Yes, it's very similiar to it in its basic design but quite different as it's not spring activated but rather flicks out with a quick snap of your arm.

This type of device and its spring-loaded cousin is known as a "Xiphoid" It has been seen in various different styles and functions in several films (Taxi Driver, Desperado, Hot Fuzz, Tomb Raider, Maverick, SAW,etc, etc).....TV shows (Wild Wild West, Garrison's Gorillas) and even games such as Assassins Creed.

Although it looks very simple it was a pain in the A$$ to get it to work properly.
    LOT of trial and error. I'll probably attempt a spring-loaded version down the line.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    Reminds me of the WWW sleevegun device. DG

Yes, it's very similiar to it in its basic design but quite different as it's not spring activated but rather flicks out with a quick snap of your arm.

This type of device and its spring-loaded cousin is known as a "Xiphoid" It has been seen in various different styles and functions in several films (Taxi Driver, Desperado, Hot Fuzz, Tomb Raider, Maverick, SAW,etc, etc).....TV shows (Wild Wild West, Garrison's Gorillas) and even games such as Assassins Creed.

Although it looks very simple it was a pain in the A$$ to get it to work properly.
    LOT of trial and error. I'll probably attempt a spring-loaded version down the line.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

It reminds me of a Lone Star gambler's outfit that I had as a kid, with a Derringer (instead of the knife) on the business end - probably a Maverick tie-in. Had hours of fun with it.
    It reminds me of a Lone Star gambler's outfit that I had as a kid, with a Derringer (instead of the knife) on the business end - probably a Maverick tie-in. Had hours of fun with it.

I HAD THAT!!!! I loved that thing!!!
    I remember it used to swing the derringer out as opposed to sliding out.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

I HAD THAT!!!! I loved that thing!!!
    I remember it used to swing the derringer out as opposed to sliding out.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

Hi Ed, the one I had shot down the sleeve, operated by a paddle (for want of a better word) at the elbow, although I do have a slight (and only slight) recollection of one that swung out.
    Hmmm...perhaps it was a different company and possibly an entirely different toy.
    I one I remember it had a black leather armband with a plastic panther head on it.
    The mechanism definetly swung the derringer from the elbow to the hand. It was released by bending your wrist inward which pushed in a release bar.
    Tried searching Google for pic but no luck.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    Hmmm...perhaps it was a different company and possibly an entirely different toy.
    I one I remember it had a black leather armband with a plastic panther head on it.
    The mechanism definetly swung the derringer from the elbow to the hand. It was released by bending your wrist inward which pushed in a release bar.
    Tried searching Google for pic but no luck.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

Something like this? About 2/3rds of the way down - Panther pistol Derringer set

http://www.nicholscapguns.com/hubley4.htm

http://www.nicholscapguns.com/graphics/scrapbook/hubley/pantherpistol-1.htm

Still haven't found the one I had. Although I mentioned Lone Star, it could have been Crescent - the two most popular toy gun makers when I was a kid. And then again as it was a present, it could have been almost any other maker that was sold in Britain. :(
    I had suggested my friend add another “element” into his display to “Tell a story”
    He did and here is the result…I was MOST impressed.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

007-GF_OddjobHat-George.jpg
    I was lucky enough to have met Barabara Feldon – Agent “99” in the GET SMART Tv series yesterday and had her autograph a replica I made of the Control ID card she used in the show. She was very surprised to see it as I’m sure it brought back memories for her.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

GetSmart_BarbaraFeldon-03.jpg

GetSmart_ID-99003.jpg
    Something like this? About 2/3rds of the way down - Panther pistol Derringer set(

AHHH, YES!!!
    THAT’s the device I had (and possibly still do somewhere around here.!!!
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

panther-wrist.jpg

pantherpistol-2.jpg

pantherpistol-1.jpg