David Arnold & Shirley Bassey

LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
Well, this is interesting...

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=7706&t=mi6&s=news

Hope they get on well...I think it would be fantastic to get one more Bond theme song out of her B-)
Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Well...this news has clearly set the Bond world on fire!

:))
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Prehaps Shirley is "old hat" these days, and Arnold has become Bond "wallpaper".

I would expect to see a reprise of Bassey's Bond themes on this new album. As for a new oo7 theme for Shirley?

Recently every new theme has been rumoured as a vehicle for Amy Winehouse, and they may have to hire her just to flush this notion out of the system. Fortunately up to now she never gets out of rehab long enough to record a Bond theme.

While "Goldfinger" is a classic, Bassey's other two themes are just so-so. It will take some superb and probably different talent to replicate the hit status of "Goldfinger".
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    7289 wrote:
    While "Goldfinger" is a classic, Bassey's other two themes are just so-so.

Can't agree with you there. MR might be the least of the three, but it's still a lovely tune well-sung, and DAF is (IMHO) among the three best Bond themes ever recorded.

Granted, the lady's 72 now. But if she were up to it, I'd sure love to hear her over the credits for #23 B-) But it certainly seems unlikely. I just thought it was interesting that she and Arnold would be collaborating.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Prehaps I was wrong to class DAF as"so-so", in the great pantheon of 22 Bond themes it would rank near the top.

My top three themes, are "Goldfinger", the vocal of "From Russia with Love" and lastly, the "James Bond Theme".

I always like the lastest theme, QOS is in the truck's DVD player.*

*Last two Brosnan themes excepted.
  • SB_DiamondSB_Diamond North Miami Beach, FLPosts: 126MI6 Agent
    I know I'm a bit late replying on this one, but I discovered it today and I must say that I have always wanted the Great SB to do at least one more Bond theme, especially with DC as Bond. It would be arguably the best opening sequence ever!
    *~Orbis Non Sufficit~*
  • Rick RobertsRick Roberts Posts: 536MI6 Agent
    I loved Bassey's first two songs but MR was kind of "meh". The music was great and Bassey had the right vocals but the lyrics stunk.