CR on USA Network

LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
It's now occurred to me---having seen the key part of CR on the USA cable network---that they've completely omitted the "poisoned martini" scene from the film, presumably for running time reasons...an interesting decision. The last time they aired the film, I was on the computer and thought I'd just missed it...now that I've had the chance to see it a second time on cable, there's no doubt.

It certainly takes at least 15 minutes off the running time of the film...but is it the right call? Personally I don't think so...but I'm interested in other Bond fans' opinions...
Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Comments

• JimmyBond0129JimmyBond0129 United States Posts: 263MI6 Agent
    It's now occurred to me---having seen the key part of CR on the USA cable network---that they've completely omitted the "poisoned martini" scene from the film, presumably for running time reasons...an interesting decision. The last time they aired the film, I was on the computer and thought I'd just missed it...now that I've had the chance to see it a second time on cable, there's no doubt.

It certainly takes at least 15 minutes off the running time of the film...but is it the right call? Personally I don't think so...but I'm interested in other Bond fans' opinions...

It's not the right call because now Vesper's comment about Bond being almost dead an hour ago makes absolutely no sense!
    "I admire your courage, Miss?..." "Trench, Sylvia Trench."

"I admire your luck, Mister?..." "Bond, James Bond."
  • hegottheboothegottheboot USAPosts: 327MI6 Agent
    Exactly. As much as I dislike CR, I don't think that films should be cut. I'm wondering if any others on USA have been altered. I've seen bits and pieces of Thunderball and Moonraker-they looked fine, but were matted to 1:85!
  • Rick RobertsRick Roberts Posts: 536MI6 Agent

They cut what now ? This is why I only watch movies on TCM, yeesh. 8-)
  • blofeld#1blofeld#1 Posts: 118MI6 Agent
    that must be interesting." Rick Roberts" . The other night there was nothing on tv. And tuned in to TCM . They were doing there sunday silent movie. What a way to spend ones time.
  • Rick RobertsRick Roberts Posts: 536MI6 Agent
    blofeld#1 wrote:
    that must be interesting." Rick Roberts" . The other night there was nothing on tv. And tuned in to TCM . They were doing there sunday silent movie. What a way to spend ones time.

What are you, twelve ? I have had enough antagonizing brats on various forums and I don't need your snide remarks.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    There are some excellent, fascinating and very funny silent films out there. I own a collection called "Slapstick Encyclopedia," which has stuff from Laurel and Hardy, Chaplin, Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton, etc. Don't knock the classics!

But IMO there's no justifying pulling the entire poison martini sequence from CR---from the setup of the drink being poisoned, through the defibrillator in the Aston---all cut, including the classic line, "That last drink...nearly killed me."

Beware Bond on USA Network. Watch the discs.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • shaken66shaken66 california usaPosts: 155MI6 Agent
    There was also a small cut of Bond and Vesper at the Lake Como sanitorium coming out of the rain and thrashing around like a couple of weasels. ;) Funny, I thought everyone in the world had seen CR before the USA broadcast, but just yesterday an associate said he had just seen the film on USA and what a great film it is. I told him about the "poisoned martini" cut and that I thought it was a highlight of the film between DC's acting, some of the camera work (especially in the men's room), and Arnold's score. There oughta be a law! X-(
    "How did he die?"
    "Your contact?" "Not well."