AVTAK music from OHMSS

thenoisydrumthenoisydrum Posts: 84MI6 Agent
In this review it states that some music was updated from OHMSS and used in AVTAK. Which music is he refering to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V1B3FdWMWM&feature=related

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    The thudding base used in the title track of OHMSS gets reused in AVTAK, I think it's called Snow Job or something. It's used in the snowy pts and also the climax on Golden Gate Bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PNmeL2wybM
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,349Chief of Staff
    It was John Barry's habit to write an action theme distinct from the main theme for some of the Bonds (eg "007" filled that role in FRWL) or sometimes write a love theme instead (the most obvious example being "We Have All The Time In The World" from OHMSS), giving him more choice for various scenes to avoid overuse of the "James Bond Theme".

The action theme for AVTAK (which appears on the album under the titles "Snow Job", "He's Dangerous" and "Golden Gate Fight") is a good example of this. He does use the main theme in the score as well, usually slowed down as a love theme ("Bond Meets Stacey", "Wine With Stacey") but not always ("Fanfare", not on the album).

This action theme does have strong similarities to the OHMSS theme, most noticeable perhaps during the PTS where it underlines skiing- so much so that Nic Raine blended the pieces into a medley on the "Bond Back In Action" album.
  • thenoisydrumthenoisydrum Posts: 84MI6 Agent
    Very interesting, I'd never noticed that but yes I can hear it now
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,349Chief of Staff
    Thanks, we aim to please! You might also like to compare "Try" from OHMSS with "Tiffany Case" from DAF- they're very similar in mood and instrumentation. (Barry also wrote a similar piece around this time for a non-Bond movie Midnight Cowboy, which if memory serves was called "Fun City".)
  • hegottheboothegottheboot USAPosts: 327MI6 Agent
    You know you're right about "Try" and "Tiffany Case"-even in the films they sound similar. Makes one wonder what a Barry scored DAF with Lazenby would have been like...
  • thenoisydrumthenoisydrum Posts: 84MI6 Agent
    Yes I know what you mean about Try and Tiffany Case and I even think you could mention the instrumental Thunderball (Track 7. on the CD) without risk of getting shot. It's a certain mood that is being created by Barry that I see similarities in.
    Regarding DAF and OHMSS, I hear sections from Bambi and Thumper that sound very similar to the overall feel and mood of OHMSS, specifically because of the flute and the Bond theme being played on the synth.