Props - Diamonds Are Forever Piton Gun

Comments

• minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    i always thought the dart gun in GF more resembled the crosman 150

Crosman-150-web.jpg

or possibly the 707, seen here above a 2nd generation 150

70715001.jpg
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    WELL…I think we’re getting closer!!!
    7289...Here's that Browning copy I think you suggested...pretty close. Even the wood texture and grain on the grip is similiar. Grip screw is pretty close too!

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

es.jpg

Unceta Esperanza Y Cia Model 1911 "Victoria" with French import marks: 1912: By the early twentieth century there were many companies in the Basque region of Northern Spain making firearms. Foreign patents were not enforced at that time in Spain, so many of the guns produced were copies of patented designs from other countries.
    One of the most widely copied guns was the 25 calibre FN Browning 1906, and in Spain they many scaled-up copies in 32 calibre.
    One of the better guns of this sort, produced in Spain before World War One, was the Model 1911 Victoria made by Esperanza y Unceta, the company that was to become Astra Unceta.

Ed,

That is exactly what I had in mind. Lot's of these "Ruby" pistols floating about .....

The perfect match would have the two pins through the trigger, which are visable on the prop gun.

Sorry SGG, this prop gun was not made by Astra or any other firearms entity. It's a "mish-mash" of at least two firearms and alot of creative welding.

Airguns are used in films because they are cheap to buy, non lethal, make noise and look good. Few folks in the audiance know a Walther PPK from a dishwasher and so they can get away with just about anything! Reminds me of "Hot Fuzz"

"Is there a place in a man's head that if you shoot it, the head will explode?"

Ed, it occurred to me that you might want to keep an eye out when viewing other UK films/tv shows with a flare guns / mountain climbing theme. This prop may have been already in the storehouse when DAF was made, and merely adapted to fire the DAF "pitons".
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    edited August 2009
    I know I’ll regret this as I’ll probably wind up bidding against you guys…LOL…BUT…
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

GOLDFINGER TRANQUILIZER DARTGUN:
    Crossman 2240

007-GF_Crossman2240.jpg

GOLDFINGER GRAPPLING GUN:
    Crossman 600 (with modifications I can’t devulge)

pix154545359.jpg

OCTOPUSSY
    BSA Scorpion

BSA_scorpion8med.jpg
  • scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    edited August 2009
    cheers Ed. Your a star...

one question though.

The GOLDFINGER Sideshow doll of Connery has him with the grappling gun and it looks a bit different to that the little model for him holding. Also the Pussy Galore doll has her with a pistol and tranquilizer gun and I am sure if my memmory serves me right.. the little model tranquilizer gun is the webley model / shape that i stated was the tranquilizer gun.

I know its not a good thing to quote dolls for refference when it comes to detail. but its just an observation. were these mistakes in detail on sideshow's part ?

but thanks a million for letting me know. Dont worry we wont ever be bidding against each other at any point for anything like this, due to the laws of me buying items like this from your side of the pond and you buying items like this from my side of the pond :) so no worries there

DAF PITON GUN Question ? the prop piton gun has a pull back hammer which i can see in your photos yes, however I have watched the parts where it was used in the film, and when Bond loads a piton into the barrel the hammer does not move or click back, and Bond does not at any point pull the hammer back. so I take it the hammer served no purpose in terms of on screen use and firing prop pitons. But i take it in the film when the barrel was snapped a gas capsual or spring was activated / armed from the snap function to fire the prop pitons. just a rough guess to be honest

I have decided to made a solid model of the Piton Gun which will take the metal pitons, but just for display no functions. Depending on how it goes and looks etc I will make a developed model with functioning parts.
    The toys are....well...TOYS!!!

Do NOT use them for reference.

The guns I posted are what was used.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    edited August 2009
    No no no Ed. Please! i was not using them as a refference, I was only pointing out a flaw in the detail of there accessories... I know you are right regarding what guns it was. as I say thanks again for sharing the info. Much appreciated :)

DAF PITON GUN Question ? the prop piton gun has a pull back hammer which i can see in your photos yes, however I have watched the parts where it was used in the film, and when Bond loads a piton into the barrel the hammer does not move or click back, and Bond does not at any point pull the hammer back. so I take it the hammer served no purpose in terms of on screen use and firing prop pitons. But i take it in the film when the barrel was snapped a gas capsual or spring was activated / armed from the snap function to fire the prop pitons. just a rough guess to be honest
    also I have another question

was it true that most of the Sterling machine guns from OHMSS
    and hand guns from other early Bond movies were converted
    and customized for use in the early STAR WARS movies ?
    Ed, the GF dart gun couldn't have been a webley tempest, that gun in the pic didn't start production until 1979, 15 yrs after GF's release.

MG
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    another reason I was sure that the GF tranquilizer gun was

the MK1 / MK2 model

Webley_20MK1pa.jpg

was the fact that there is a photo of Ken Adam is his studio at Pinewood, and around his drawing desk there is a lot of original props, the original Attache case from FRWL, Odd Job's Hat, Thunderball speargun, knifes, and this model of Webley, i have shown in the picture. so this Webley model surely featured some were in a film from DR No. to Thunderball ... and I am sure the only part that fits the description, style and look is the GF knock out gun from the lazer table and the one Pussy galore shows Bond on the plane. But after looking at it on DVD last night it does look a little bit chucky and bulky compared to the Webley model I am stating.

I am undecided on the ID on the gun now, I agree with you Ed. maybe it was an earlier model / make of the Webley Tempest
    i'm sticking with my educated guess of the crosman 150.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT4LV2QXJOY go to 2.44 :p

the barrel seems to be too fat for the webley, but there again the trigger guard is wrong for the crosman.

lol, maybe ed's right, but if the webley didn't come out until '79, how the hell did it star in GF? :s
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Well...BECAUSE...they had an advance prototype years before it was released to the public!!! THAT's WHY!!!

...Don't buy that, huh...alright...I might have posted the wrong pic.
    I have it in my files....let me see if I can find it...

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

It appears the piton gun fired a .22 blank. That would be enough power to expell the piton from the muzzle at a fair pace, it would be dangerous too, but probably not accurate or powerful enough to kill Blofeld or mountain climb in the real world.

To fire the piton gun, you would need to: Insert the piton; open the breech and insert the .22 blank; close the breech; then pull back the hammer and pull the trigger. Loading the barrel from the front would not automatically pull back the hammer. This rather simple "manual of arms" was not shown in DAF.
    Hi All,
    I replaced the photo from te previous post to show the Crossman 2240 as the Tranquilizer Dartgun. I believe the front sight was modified or removed.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

007-GF_Crossman2240.jpg

Screenshots:

007-GF_Crossman2240-Pic.jpg
    Ok I am convinced now, Regarding the tranquilizer gun

I am going to have a look around in town tomorow and
    possibly purchase this if i can get hold of one.

I have my sources :))
    I wonder if Laurel and Hardy's hats could decapitate a target :))

OF COURSE!!!!
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

007-AFM_Pic.jpg
    CLASSIC! great stuff Ed. I am sure if Laurel and Hardy were still about after Goldfinger a bit of Bond may have made it into there adventures :))

would love to see my main man Groucho Marx in a Bond style photo or poster :))
    or all of the Marx Brothers.

anyone else like the Marx brothers ?
    …Your wish is my command.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

007-Groucho-01.jpg

007-Groucho-02.jpg

007-Groucho-03.jpg
    Awsome Ed..... simply AWSOME ! great work .. love it

thanks a lot. :)) love Groucho with the knife shoe ha ha ha :))

" They say Marriage is an institution! But who wants to live in an institution "

I think ill go watch a Marx Brother movie later tonight.
    007-Groucho-03.jpg

Ed,

Would you mind if I made this my submission to the "James Bond Photo Contest"

:)) ;)
    7289 wrote:
    Would you mind if I made this my submission to the "James Bond Photo Contest"

Not at all...long as you LOOK like Groucho...LOL
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    I’m posting the following for Mick as he’s having trouble with posting the photos:

I knocked it up over the weekend in the garage. Its not finished yet, still needs
    bits buffed down and filled, the layland added to the underside of the handle,
    also still to have a replica Piton or make a few Piton's and also the barrel still
    has to be filled with the split where the piton goes in. Also some metal pins
    to be added are varied heights to the holes on the body to replicate the
    originals mechanical movements etc

Just a dummy solid display replica for reference to be honest.

007-DAF_Piton-McClusky-01.jpg

007-DAF_Piton-McClusky-02.jpg

007-DAF_Piton-McClusky-03.jpg

007-DAF_Piton-McClusky-04.jpg
    thanks a lot for that Ed. Much appreciated.

as I said to Ed, It is currently an unfinished project.

let me know what you all think ?

thanks
    Either you have very small hands or you're going to have to make the finished version much smaller. :))

The Barrel tapers by the way...it's NOT straight.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    Here you can see the measurement of the tapered barrel…

007-DAF-Piton-01-1.jpg

Here’s a little something I just finished….

007-DAF_Piton-Paperjpg004.jpg

007-DAF_Piton-Paperjpg005.jpg

007-DAF_Piton-Paperjpg006.jpg

OH…WAIT A MINUTE!!!!
    It’s just paper…LOL
    I think I just discovered an inexpensive way to replicate the props.

Seriously, Mick –or anyone else trying their hand at this prop, enlarge the photo as I did until you get the barrel to measure correctly and all the other bits will fall in place. You’ll have a perfect template to use when you make the parts.

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    Ed,

ROFL ...... :))

Mick,

You have way to much free time ..... ;)
    Glad you appreciate my "SICK" humor. :)) :)) :))
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    7289 i dont have much free time, to be honest :#

but when i do find some, this is my hobby making and
    collecting so... You know :))

Ok Ed. :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) I have quite large hands, yes I knew the gun was a bit oversized. but its just an initial display replica, to mess about with and add to etc, good to have a few things in the making and work on and improve.

I will photo shop it and shrink it :)) for use in refference photos

Anyway just thought I would let you all have a look. -{ cheers

and yes, I have employed the print out and cut out paper prop templates many a time in the past.

And yes a development replica will be made with refinments in due time. :)
    Mick,

There was a "wink" after that "too much time crack", I think you know we all admire your dedication to Bond props and the skill you bring to it.

Got to say, Ed's paper version is still giving me a chuckle!
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Ed's is the best so far :))
    Laugh if you want but it can shoot a paper piton with deadly accuracy!!! :)) :))
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com