From Russia With Love (Penguin Decades Edition)

Scribe74Scribe74 San FranciscoPosts: 149MI6 Agent
Greetings and a belated Happy New Year's to everyone!

My apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere . . .

In April, Penguin--as part of its Decades Edition collection--is releasing "From Russia With Love." The book is now listed for pre-order on Amazon.co.uk at http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0141046724/cbn-21. The cover art is pretty cool. Here is the official product description:
Penguin Decades bring you the novels that helped shape modern Britain. When they were published, some were bestsellers, some were considered scandalous, and others were simply misunderstood. All represent their time and helped define their generation, while today each is considered a landmark work of storytelling. Ian Fleming’s From Russia with Love was published in 1957 and made suave, steely secret agent James Bond an icon. Here 007 encounters the deadly machinations of Russian organisation SMERSH, the fiendish Colonel Rosa Klebb – and the irresistible beauty Tatiana Romanova – in one of the most thrilling classic novels of the Cold War.

Comments

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I'm glad to see that the Fleming novels are getting frequent reprints etc recently, keeping them in the public eye. I'm not too sure about the cover art on this one, the general concept is okay, but how can they have a Walther P99 on the cover of a book set in the 50s?
  • Yankee Mike BravoYankee Mike Bravo Southern PhilippinesPosts: 40MI6 Agent
    Hmmm, why do I get the feeling that we've been infiltrated by a spambot. X-(

Hey, Scribe74, how much is 1+1? What does C-A-T spell?
  • Scribe74Scribe74 San FranciscoPosts: 149MI6 Agent
    Hmmm, why do I get the feeling that we've been infiltrated by a spambot. X-(

Hey, Scribe74, how much is 1+1? What does C-A-T spell?

No, Yankee Mike . . . I am not a spambot. Check out my webpage in my signature. I was simply trying to alert other Ian Fleming fans that a collectable edition of FRWL will be available. Not sure what offended you about my post.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Peter Blake is most famous for doing the Sgt Pepper design, I think he's better at concepts than producing anything actually lovely. Certainly the gun is a misfire, esp as the Beretta has a key role in the finale. I don't find it hugely imaginative; I guess it's meant to be the Berlin Wall but the book has little to do with Russia in that sense (although if I recall, Moscow does feature in the book along with those golden tulips, unlike in the film).
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,309MI6 Agent
    Personally, that is one horrible cover.
    Ranks up with the contemporary fiction covers Penguin intorduced with a still from the appropriate movie... except they got the stills and the titles confused and they were really awful photos.
    I