James Bond's Omega not good enough for the Watch Snob (Askmen.com)

toutbruntoutbrun Washington, USAPosts: 1,501MI6 Agent
http://ca.askmen.com/fashion/mens-watches_500/546_watch-snob-do-real-men-wear-louis-vuitton-watches.html

I read a few of his posts. He seems to make a show of each questions he gets, but he also seems to know his stuff. What do you think about his response?
If you can't trust a Swiss banker, what's the world come to?

Comments

• urhashurhash USPosts: 984MI6 Agent
    Seems like he's against the Bond Seamaster almost solely because of it's marketing, regardless of the quality of the brand and the watch itself. While it's true that it does get a lot of print and airtime whenever a Bond movie comes around, I still consider it a niche market. I tend to notice details like what person a watch is wearing, and I've only ever seen the Seamaster on someone's wrist three times in my lifetime.

I also think 99% of the people you meet will not be uptight (or even have any insight) about your choice of watch, so it seems silly to make a choice based on what a preening watch snob will think.
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    Odd you should say that Urhash, at least 5 of my close friends wear a Seamaster, and only two of those are Bond fanatics. I also wear one, but it's away having a service at the moment and I really miss it, Got to put up with a GShock for the meantime.

GM -{
  • dak212usdak212us CaliforniaPosts: 63MI6 Agent
    edited January 2010
    Funny that he said the Seamaster was a better watch but he wouldn't own one. There is a separate review for the Omega on the site that says it's a great watch. Some watch snobs say nice things about the Seamaster but criticize it for having "James Bond Editions" saying a company like Rolex would never do that.

It depends on individual taste. There are many clothing & style snobs who say it is completely wrong to wear a Rolex or Omega style bracelet watch with a suit or tux and say it shows poor style for James Bond to do it. I personally plan on getting an Omega, probably the Black face Seamaster but not the 007 edition.

Due to my own snobery I'd never get a Tag Heuer watch, I view Tags as younger, sporty, clunky style watches. I find it funny that the Tag watch is associated with McQueen because of a deal with one film he did. Steve McQueen actually wore a Rolex Submariner in his private life.

I love Rolex too but I feel no watch is worth 6K. If you love Rolex that much you can get a fake with good quality movement and donate the other $5,800+ and save lives in Haiti or elsewhere. Again just my own snobery.
  • 000-7000-7 EnglandPosts: 78MI6 Agent
    What do I think about his response; perhaps the Clarkson of watches!

I need not say any more.

However, there is SO much beyond the obvious. The Tag is waterproof to 50m, the Omega to 300m. The Tag is a reference to the original, the Omega IS the original. Both have played a game of association, yet one offers something really quite special….

And only those who know about watches (or are proficient with Google!) will actually understand.

That is why you read the comment “The quality of the Omega may indeed be superior to the Monaco”. It is.

Ultimately you buy a watch because you like (love!) it. IF you buy a watch purely for show, then you have missed the point completely and that says a LOT about the person.

The models referred to were Tag WW2111.FC6204 (£1795) and Omega 2220.80.00 (£1860).

This one is special to me....
    :x

1ZJAM0.jpg
    These days it takes three kills...!
  • dak212usdak212us CaliforniaPosts: 63MI6 Agent
    We like the same model 000-7. Nice, though as I mentioned without the 007 on the second hand.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    I think the Omega Seamaster is a very good watch. I held off buying mine until the advent of Die Another Day. I guess the marketing ultimately got me. The problem for me wearing it on a regular basis is indeed the marketing. It's so associated with Bond that in my line of work I feel a little foolish wearing it. My Seamaster also needs to be regulated because it's running fast. I much prefer to wear my vintage Submariner's if I'm feeling in a Bond mood. Usually my big crown 6538 and 5510 escape notice because they are obviously old and smaller by comparison to modern watches. Coupled with a NATO or alligator strap they are quite understated and for the most part escape notice. The only time I can remember either getting noticed was when I wore one to a Tourneau, and one of the salesmen complimented me on it. Most watch salesmen don't know squat about vintage watches unless they sell vintage or happen to like vintage watches so I was pleasantly surprised.

The Omega Planet Ocean is a different matter. I don't think it's been as hyped as a Bond watch as much as the blue Seamaster. Of course when I get mine, it won't have all that James Bond logo crap all over it, but that's me. However, in the end you should wear what you like without bothering about what some so-called expert thinks. If you lay your money down, and you worked for it, you make the choice. Would Bond behave any differently?

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • toutbruntoutbrun Washington, USAPosts: 1,501MI6 Agent
    I also wear one, but it's away having a service at the moment and I really miss it, Got to put up with a GShock for the meantime.

How are you holding up? Remember, it's all for the best. She's gonna come back in top shape..
    Just curious, does anyone wear theirs 24/7 the way Brosnan appears to? lol The only time mine ever comes off my wrist is to rinse the bracelet and clasp.
  • Monza860Monza860 USPosts: 501MI6 Agent
    No, I worry about banging it against my bed at night when sleeping.
    Away at Boot Camp, won't be back until April the earliest.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj258/monza860/
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    Toutbrun

It's difficult, but I know she'll come back :(

Monza860

I worry about banging it against my bed when I'm awake...... :p

GM -{
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    kinky buggers :v
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Just some eye candy to augment this thread. I bought my Omega Seamaster in December 2002. I've included pictures of my Seamaster along with the box and assorted paperwork. The red box surface has just disintegrated over time. I've also included the international lobby card set for Die Another Day as well as the Omega/DAD marketing fold out from the theatre.
    Enjoy.

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • Coldheart96Coldheart96 Florida , USAPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    I've had my Seamaster since Jun 96. It is without a doubt the best watch I've ever owned. It has accompanied me everywhere, from the desert, to the central american jungles, and some of the remotest places on earth (haven't been to to the south pole...yet). Similar to DG, I purchased my watch after I saw GE and have never regretted it for a moment. Recently it has started to run fast so it's time to take it in for a well deserved "tune up". It's been said many times by the members here "If it's good enough for Bond then it's good enough for me". Wouldn't trade it for the world!!!!
    Bond: "Who would spend $1 million to kill me?"
    M: "Jealous husbands. Outraged chefs. Humiliated tailors. The list is endless!"
    I'm rather dissapointed they've discontinued the 2541.80 and the 2531.80 (e.g. Brosnan-era models) in favor of the Seamaster redesign. Granted, it's not much of a major change, but I find the added colors a bit tacky compared to the originals.
  • toutbruntoutbrun Washington, USAPosts: 1,501MI6 Agent
    urhash wrote:
    I'm rather dissapointed they've discontinued the 2541.80 and the 2531.80 (e.g. Brosnan-era models) in favor of the Seamaster redesign. Granted, it's not much of a major change, but I find the added colors a bit tacky compared to the originals.

You can buy a vintage watch, can't you? I don't have a first clue about vintage watches, though.