Pulsar P2

Have just again watched "Live and Let Die" I have decided to bring my P2 out of the closet and yes it lid up 5:48 (just kidding).
In the early 70's I was a store manager for a Birks store in Canada (Calgary AB.) and had an opportunity to pre purchase one of the first Pulsars. It was by the way the same price as the stainless, Rolex Submariner. Being a dedicated JB fan it hurt like hell to break protocall (and the bank) and buy the P2 over the oyster.
However when "Live and Let Die" hit the screen and I saw my watch as big as ever, I new right there that I had made the right decision.
My first oyster came to be some 25 years later, I bought the two tone Sub. Now I should probally go out and get an Omega.
My P2 is stainless, model #2900, serial #66891A, with it's magnet still intact.
I wonder what this true classic is worth to a collector today?
HPLP0.jpg

Comments

• thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    Peter,
    After watching "LIVE & LET DIE" I saw, in the credits, that the watch used was a Pulsar.
    I walked out of the theatre and across the street to a very prestigious jewelry store (Baily, Banks & Biddle) and bought the watch.

It was very innovative and I constantly had people staring at it as it was not something anyone had ever seen before.

I had a lot of girls asking if they could push by button...which I, of course, allowed them to do so!! LOL!!

I have to say, however, that it was not a very precise watch as I had to have it repaired 3 or 4 times (too many girls pushing it I suppose) The salesman at the store explained they were having a LOT of problems with the Pulsar watches and they simply popped out the entire module and replaced it with a new one. I saw him throw my broken module into a box that must have had about 25 other broken modules.

I still have mine to this day and it does work. Guess I'll take it out and wear it again for old times sake.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Peter,
    After watching "LIVE & LET DIE" I saw, in the credits, that the watch used was a Pulsar.
    I walked out of the theatre and across the street to a very prestigious jewelry store (Baily, Banks & Biddle) and bought the watch.

It was very innovative and I constantly had people staring at it as it was not something anyone had ever seen before.

I had a lot of girls asking if they could push by button...which I, of course, allowed them to do so!! LOL!!

I have to say, however, that it was not a very precise watch as I had to have it repaired 3 or 4 times (too many girls pushing it I suppose) The salesman at the store explained they were having a LOT of problems with the Pulsar watches and they simply popped out the entire module and replaced it with a new one. I saw him throw my broken module into a box that must have had about 25 other broken modules.

I still have mine to this day and it does work. Guess I'll take it out and wear it again for old times sake.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

Wow Ed, I did not know that. I'd love to see pictures of your P2. Thanks for sharing the story.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    My older brother purchased his first digital watch - a Seiko - in about 1975, and I was extremely envious. His purchase was inspired by Bond and as he was still living rent-free at home at the time, I think it cost him the entirety of several pay cheques! I don't think it lasted him more than a couple of years, but as was Ed's experience, it was always a point of conversation and an attention-grabber even though they'd been out for a few years at that point. I wonder how many digital watches were sold because of Bond!
    I wonder what this true classic is worth to a collector today?

Welcome to AJB, Peter.

Dell Deaton who has written some teriffic articles on Bond watches
    See: http://www.jamesbondwatches.com/
    has contacted me with the following info:

Ed: Got a message through CBn that you were wondering about Pulsar
    pricing (current). Range over last two years of my tracking is $123.50 to $635.00,
    altho between $300 and $400 is probably right.

Thanks for your info, Dell.

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
  • Peter FettingPeter Fetting Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    Thanks Ed,
    I appreciate the input and you gotta love all the girls who wanted to push your button, hope it didn't wear (you) it out.
    I say we put on our watches and hit the ladies NCAA basketball court for some real post time action.
    Peter
    Hmm, I think I see a specter. Very sad. So much for self imposed exile.

Can you say transparent?

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    Hmm, I think I see a specter. DG

"You mean the Spectre of defeat"

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    Hmm, I think I see a specter. DG

"You mean the Spectre of defeat"

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

LOL. That's exactly the line I was thiking of Ed. That's what happens to us when we watch these movies over and over again.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Here are some pics of my Pulsar P2
    The lighting makes it appear goldish but it is all silver.
    Notice the small door in the clasp that holds the magnet used to set the time.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

Ducks009.jpg

Ducks008.jpg

Ducks011.jpg

Ducks013.jpg
    Now all you need is Miss Caruso. Very nice Ed. Thanks for sharing, it looks so nice!

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Peter FettingPeter Fetting Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    Welcome to AJB, Peter.

Ed: Got a message through CBn that you were wondering about Pulsar
    pricing (current). Range over last two years of my tracking is $123.50 to $635.00,
    altho between $300 and $400 is probably right.

Thanks for the info. I would like to sell my Pulsar any idea how to post it on this or other sites?
    Asking $400.
    Thanks
    Peter
  • theweymouththeweymouth Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    Hi
    thought i would post the original from the film.
    roger gave this to my dad p e weymouth who was the props master after filming.
    The watch does not work now but i still have if anybody is interested in buying.

link below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16803491@N02/2515400738/in/set-72157622972989506/
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,710MI6 Agent

I thought this was quite fun: courtesy of Thunderballs on Twitter, a photo from the filming of TMWTGG with Roger Moore and Luisa Mattioli with their son Christian- and what's that on her wrist? 😁

Roger's own swiped from the set, a gift from Seiko, or did they maybe just like it after trying it?

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

There's also a BTS

still from TMWTGG showing, Britt Ekland wearing it.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,710MI6 Agent

How random- everyone was having a go!