Put Tim Burton in the Bond 23 director's chair!

JimmyBond0129JimmyBond0129 United States Posts: 263MI6 Agent
No really I'm not joking. I actually wanna see how badly Tim Burton could screw up the current Bond franchise with his crappy directorial skills. James Bond has had his share of european directors with amateur skills before case in point most of the really bad Bond films feel like they were directed by an amateur. Tim Burton's amateur skills can't be half as bad as the people who failed to deliver a really great James Bond film experience.
"I admire your courage, Miss?..." "Trench, Sylvia Trench."

"I admire your luck, Mister?..." "Bond, James Bond."

Comments

• KittlemeierKittlemeier U.S.Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1929453

This pretty much sums it up for me.
  • little nellylittle nelly London, EnglandPosts: 152MI6 Agent
    Well he made a shocking mess of Planet Of The Apes, could he deliver a Bond film that was actually worse than Die Unother Day?
    N O I N F O R M A T I O N I S U S E L E S S
  • bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    I'm glad you see Burton's major flaws, Jimmy.

Otherwise...the asylum of Napoleons for anyone who supports that idea.

"Moneypenny, what gives?"
    "Me, given an ounce of encouragement."
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Dude, rent 'Ed Wood.'
  • Bella_docBella_doc Quantum's next target (Canada)Posts: 51MI6 Agent
    I haven't seen Burton's Planet of the Apes remake, but I remember Edward Scissorhands had some stunningly-shot scenes and I believe Sleepy Hollow was decent. Small confession, I'm actually a bit fond of the unapologetically zany Batman Returns, though I could see why EON would think his madcap kitchen sink-style directing as unsuitable for Bond (Tamahori aside, obviously ;)).

He's probably too big for EON anyway, so I really don't see it happening.
  • YouknowthenameYouknowthename Carver Media GroupPosts: 500MI6 Agent
    Tim Burton's amateur skills can't be half as bad as the people who failed to deliver a really great James Bond film experience.

Dude, if you don't like Burton's work, too bad... But don't drag it into the Bond 23 discussion, that's totally insane. 8-)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    With the slow-motion implosion of MGM, I think Bond has more than enough challenges without getting the Burton treatment---don't get me wrong, sometimes I find his work visionary and brilliant...but he's also incredibly self-indulgent (tending toward being predictably so) and has a penchant for icon deconstruction, IMO, so I'll say no thanks on behalf of Agent 007 ;)

Personally, I think Ed Wood is his masterpiece...I wonder if Tom Ford works in angora? :))

As for the swipe at recent Bond...well, suffice to say I've not felt deprived of a great James Bond experience since the mid-1980s :007) But, as always, opinions will vary.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • ghost1ghost1 Posts: 82MI6 Agent
    Tim Burton would definetly be an interesting choice as a Bond director. But, he's made some weird movies and Corpse Bride and I shouldn't judge but the previews for Alice in Wonderland looked very weird.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    As the Batman movies and the Planet of the Apes remake proved, Burton cannot for the life of him direct action. Let him make visually stylish movies about weirdos--that's his strength.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    I think Tim burton is a brilliant director and I try to watch everything he makes. I also think his style is completely wrong for Bond.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    And what's more, I'm sure he wouldn't do the movie unless Johnny Depp was playing Bond.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Tim Burton is an inventive & talented director. And a nice guy by all accounts. I love his two 'Ed' films and the early claymation ode to Vincent Price.

But he definitely has what seems to me a habit of gluing pieces back in wrong places. At least when dealing with already established cinema monuments. It seems nowadays we need to see every single scrap of shot film up there on the screen. It's okay to edit folks.. More often it's the most important aspect of film making. Not everything you shoot is genius. Pull the reigns in a little and lay off those uneccessary drum solos.

I think if EON ever decide to change their central character from a handsome, brutally sardonic, undercover agent, ... to a chalk faced Grand Guignol with terrible fake British accent, (and bad wig), Then Burton would definitely be that man. And guess who he'd cast.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Johnny Depp is a talented actor, but I'd like to see him cut the Tim Burton apron strings. I'd hate to think Depp is passing up some great scripts merely for the sake of Burton's recent 'novelty' films.