Was part of the movie "TMWTGG" taken from the novel LALD (spoilers)?

perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
When Andrea Anders calls on Bond to rescue her from Scaramanga is very similar to sceens in LALD where Solitaire calls on Bond to rescue her from Mr Big. Coincidence?
"And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady

Comments

• LiamLiam Now where was I? Let me see...Posts: 50MI6 Agent
    Oh, good observation. I never looked at it this way, but now that you point it out it's really quite similar. Andrea would be the only woman in the films who acted this way, practically begging to be rescued from the dragon's lair. The film Solitaire had to be 'persuaded' by Bond and I actually found this the better solution, more credible and in line with her character. But this left the plead for rescue scene for another time. Doubt it's a coincidence.
    I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Wilde
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Yeah, interesting. That said, it shows the book Solitaire has a bit more spunk about her, she does seem more her own woman. I didn't like the smarmy Rog making his moves in the film, deflowing through trickery offends the chivarous side of my nature. Of course, as a kid the full ramifications of that would have passed me by.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Yeah, interesting. That said, it shows the book Solitaire has a bit more spunk about her, she does seem more her own woman. I didn't like the smarmy Rog making his moves in the film, deflowing through trickery offends the chivarous side of my nature. Of course, as a kid the full ramifications of that would have passed me by.

The virgin aspect of LALD's card-aided seduction of Solitaire didn't bother me at all. It had to happen sooner or later and if not for Bond's intervention it would have been Kananga who would have made the first move in that direction. Especially with a character as portrayed by Jane Seymour who never would have brought up the nerve to flee from Kananga.

Oh, by the way, LALD doesn't actually use Buonapart Ignace Gallia, does it? So that would be a villain that could still be used by Eon, if so desired.
    Wilde
  • hegottheboothegottheboot USAPosts: 327MI6 Agent
    I also didn't get the ramifications when I was younger, but that trick is just too perfect for the moment. Also, it "rescues" Solitaire from her predicament. However, in the film she seems much like an unwitting accomplice and Bond is very unconcerned with her. Going from the boat cabin scene directly to "a valuable piece of merchandise".
    I like her better as Fleming's spunky version.
    Well, they tried to get some of Solitaire's original character back with Seymour playing along when she and Bond are captured by Kananga's men. Have to say that took me by surprise the first time I saw it, a move that could have been in line with the book's Solitaire.
    Wilde
  • perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    I thought the movie was no where near as good as the novel. I am wondering where fleming got the idea and inspiration for LALD.
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Looking at the mess of QoS does make me wish they'd gone with a loose remake of LALD the novel, esp as Craig is very much Fleming's Bond of that book. Just duplicate the voodoo theme, make it darker.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    Looking at the mess of QoS does make me wish they'd gone with a loose remake of LALD the novel, esp as Craig is very much Fleming's Bond of that book. Just duplicate the voodoo theme, make it darker.

I think EON has always been afraid of the original LALD for PC reasons.. The movie LALD was almost campy.