QoS Theme sung by Shirley Bassey

minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I randomly stubbled upon this today, was it genuinely rejected by EoN?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Liy0rR3fkQ0

Imo, its way better than the keys/white cack, but I was curious if it really was seriously considered by EoN for QoS's theme.

Cheers,

MG
'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Hmmm, hadn't heard about this one. As for the song, it's not as good as Bassey's three Bond tunes and it's a little derivative; that said, compared to the White/Keys song, this is Mozart.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,385Chief of Staff
    There was a discussion on this wonderful song here - http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/34141/dame-shirley-bassey-the-performance/ -albeit with some long & winding sidetracks.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,290MI6 Agent
    Well, it came out around the same time (less than a year later) and has the word Solace in the lyrics, it's written by David Arnold and fits in totally with the themes of QoS, especially the last verse if I recall. ("Think of the consequences") It would seem perverse for Arnold to write a song like this and not have it in mind for the movie, but I think he's insisted that it certainly wasn't ready for the film or intended for it. Bassey struggled with the song on the documentary, so had it been brought forward there's no guarantee it would have turned out the same.

How odd that imo this would be the best song Arnold ever wrote for the series - better than Surrender, TWINE or anything else, and would have brought real class to a movie, it would have also worked brilliantly on the fade out in the snow too, but it doesn't get used! Then again, often what you expect from the franchise (or what I expect), it's always a bit behind the curve or out of step imo.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    tbh, imo whoever chose white/keys needs a slap.

such a shame that Arnold's and Bassey's efforts weren't ready in time.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Ricardo C.Ricardo C. Posts: 916MI6 Agent
    edited November 2010
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Hmmm, hadn't heard about this one. As for the song, it's not as good as Bassey's three Bond tunes and it's a little derivative; that said, compared to the White/Keys song, this is Mozart.

Wuz duh matta wit u yo ? U aint down wit keyz ? who diz mozart ***** ?

;)

Hey, Ricardo, I know you were joking, but someone complained about this common "gangsta" term, and I edited it out. Just remember not everyone shares your unique sense of humor. HB