The silliest sequence in a Bond movie EVER??

2»

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,994Quartermasters
    Far too many to choose from, IMO, especially from the early Seventies to the late Eighties :#

My own personal touchstone, however, has to be the double-taking pigeon in MR. And being 'dated' has nothing to do with it. It was as embarrassing in 1979 as it is in 2010. Some silliness truly stands the test of time ;)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Ricardo C.Ricardo C. Posts: 916MI6 Agent
    Far too many to choose from, IMO, especially from the early Seventies to the late Eighties :#

My own personal touchstone, however, has to be the double-taking pigeon in MR. And being 'dated' has nothing to do with it. It was as embarrassing in 1979 as it is in 2010. Some silliness truly stands the test of time ;)

MR is an encyclopedia of idiocy. I don't consider it a horrid Bond film but it's chock full of stupid, stupid moments.
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    Two words: invisible car
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,700MI6 Agent
    Even though it never happened, the whole thought of packing a fault line full of explosives so it will trigger an Earthquake and flood a small portion of a community is silly. I do hope it's not possible. Living in the SF Bay Area I don't want to go through another earthquake.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • DangerMouseDangerMouse Benfleet, EssexPosts: 235MI6 Agent
    DaltonFan1 wrote:
    Two words: invisible car

That and being able to stop a jet going at break neck speed by a small pick in the ground.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,780MI6 Agent
    In chronological order...

Goldfinger. - Bonds "Romper Suit" In Miami. Looks God awful!
    Diamonds. - Blofeld in Drag. Works for Charles Gray - but not the character!
    LALD - Sheriff Pepper. A weak chgaracter - that they brought back!
    TMWTGG - The offensive whistle over the car roll stunt. Ruins the scene!
    AVTAK - The aforementioned California Girls. Also the "Looney Toons" Taxi!

Every film has little niggles, even CR, but these are my major gripes.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • mrbain007mrbain007 Posts: 393MI6 Agent
    Just re-watched DAD and yeah its still pretty silly. I think the Iron Man high voltage suit is a strong contender as is the whole change-of-DNA plot. Shame because the first 40 minutes of the film are actually really good.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,871MI6 Agent
    -Kananga's death in LALD
    -Jaws becoming a good guy and falling in love
    -Surfing the melting iceberg in DAD
    -The stuffed bird on connery's head in GF
    - Most of MR
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    Not liking some clothing (the blue terrycloth outfit in GF) is one thing. But saying it's the silliest sequence in a movie is just....silly. We all know what happens when Bond is wearing that outfit, and the scenes themselves are not silly.
    Personally, I think people have read someone's condemnation of the beachwear and have jumped on the snob bandwagon.
    I never heard or read anything about it when the movie premiered. Yeah, it can be considered dated, but it's almost 50 years old. Kind of amazing that something as minor as that is a "major gripe".
  • Richard--WRichard--W USAPosts: 200MI6 Agent
    The character of Jaws utterly derailed the Bond franchise in TSWLM. Instead of telling action-adventure-thrillers with an element of tongue-in-cheek humor, Jaws plunged the series into buffoonery, farce, slapstick, and kitsch. The Bond films had made mis-steps before, but not like this. After Jaws, anything goes, and nothing matters. It's a free-for-all from now on in which good writing, good directing, good acting no longer mattered. I don't care how successful the film was; the art and craft was gone, replaced by the middle finger of Jaws.

Richard
    The top 7 Bond films: 1) Dr No. 2) From Russia With Love. 3) Thunderball. 4) On Her Majesty's Secret Service. 5) For Your Eyes Only. 6) The Living Daylights. 7) Licence to Kill.
  • JamesBondJuniorJamesBondJunior Posts: 67MI6 Agent
    Richard--W wrote:
    The character of Jaws utterly derailed the Bond franchise in TSWLM. Instead of telling action-adventure-thrillers with an element of tongue-in-cheek humor, Jaws plunged the series into buffoonery, farce, slapstick, and kitsch. The Bond films had made mis-steps before, but not like this. After Jaws, anything goes, and nothing matters. It's a free-for-all from now on in which good writing, good directing, good acting no longer mattered. I don't care how successful the film was; the art and craft was gone, replaced by the middle finger of Jaws.

Richard

I agree with you. I also can't stand the "California Girls" bit in AVTAK. I think that the little whistle noise during the car flip in TMWTGG is terrible. Such a beautiful stunt just murdered. DAD is full of bad choices like naming a character Mr. Kill, Jynx pulling a knife and lime out during sex (?) and the invisible car. But I still find Kanaga inflating and exploding to be terribly unnerving in a good way. Horrible way to die.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I always wondered at Q giving Bond an Invisable car for a snow covered location,He could of saved "the over burdened British tax payer" some money by simply letting him take the White Lotus. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • JamesBondJuniorJamesBondJunior Posts: 67MI6 Agent
    I always wondered at Q giving Bond an Invisable car for a snow covered location,He could of saved "the over burdened British tax payer" some money by simply letting him take the White Lotus. :))

The white paint job slipped Q's mind in his old age : ) Only less ridiculous would have been a car made of ice. I think John Cleese must have gotten to contribute to the script, the mad prankster that he is
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Absolutely agree! Dated apparrel isn't even worthy of mention when the question relates to the silliest sequence in a Bond flick. Somebody missed the boat on that one!
    RJJB wrote:
    Not liking some clothing (the blue terrycloth outfit in GF) is one thing. But saying it's the silliest sequence in a movie is just....silly. We all know what happens when Bond is wearing that outfit, and the scenes themselves are not silly.
    Personally, I think people have read someone's condemnation of the beachwear and have jumped on the snob bandwagon.
    I never heard or read anything about it when the movie premiered. Yeah, it can be considered dated, but it's almost 50 years old. Kind of amazing that something as minor as that is a "major gripe".
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Dalkowski110Dalkowski110 Posts: 1,314MI6 Agent
    DAD's invisible car. An already bad film totally went down the pipes for me at that moment.
    By the way, are you gonna eat that?
  • Q and MQ and M IrelandPosts: 171MI6 Agent
    the romantic sequence in on her majestys secret service. not bond at all
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,323MI6 Agent
    As good as the corkscrew stunt is, it's very quickly over and hard to emphasise, tin whistle or no tin whistle. In a cheap kung foo type film they'd sort of show it again from different angles! Maybe a noisy soundtrack then silence for the stunt itself. Or ta! ta-da! brass at the moment of turn.

Silliness is all sort of relative isn't it? MR is in a different league, but sometimes stuff jars. DAD jarred because it gives the impression early on that it's a serious-ish movie. So the first real inkling is the way Bond can slow his heartbeat down to induce cardiac arrest. But of course it gets worse.

Oh! I know! Lippe's death thru having urine thrown in his face in NSNA! Now that HAS to be a contender, because it's simply impossible and furthermore out of place in a Connery film.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Ricardo C.Ricardo C. Posts: 916MI6 Agent
    Oh! I know! Lippe's death thru having urine thrown in his face in NSNA! Now that HAS to be a contender, because it's simply impossible and furthermore out of place in a Connery film.

And how could he have possibly been killed by merely bumping into glass containers ? I mean look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBcFfQvg0Rs

How did all this crap get into his back ? :))
  • bigbychoicebigbychoice United StatesPosts: 27MI6 Agent
    I know there are a lot of silly things that happens in Bond movies and, this may be just a little off topic here, but the Roger Moore era Bonds had the silliest of all by far. Maybe its just a product of the time period because looking back on it now, things look silly. So Im sure back then it was just awesome to people. But to watch it now, most of the stuff is just so corny it makes me laugh. Not to say that Roger Moore was a bad Bond, just that his movies were the silliest by far.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Pierce Brosnan's rear-projection chasing of the airplane in Goldeneye . . . which actually made me cringe because people were laughing in the theater and not with the movie which more or less had been "serious" up until that point.
  • Okay. Are we talking silly or just bad movie making?
    Someone said the death of Mr. Big was silly, but its not. Its just bad movie making because you don't see the blood. Movies weren't as violent as now. You can't hate on 'em for being old. In that case we would never have gotten anywhere. You have to start somewhere.
    Here are my top three of silliest Bond moments...
    1. Laser battle in **** space (Moonraker)
    2. Invisible car (Die Another Day)
    3. Clown disarms nuclear bomb (Octopussy)
    Okay. Are we talking silly or just bad movie making?
    Someone said the death of Mr. Big was silly, but its not. Its just bad movie making because you don't see the blood. Movies weren't as violent as now. You can't hate on 'em for being old. In that case we would never have gotten anywhere. You have to start somewhere.
    Here are my top three of silliest Bond moments...
    1. Laser battle in **** space (Moonraker)
    2. Invisible car (Die Another Day)
    3. Clown disarms nuclear bomb (Octopussy)

Everyone keeps going on about the clown bit but, tbh, that never really bothered me. Why? Well because when the serious moment came and Bond had to diffuse the bomb, Rog played it completely straight.
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    What I actually liked about the clown suit (silly as it is), was the foreshadowing with 009's death in the beginning of the film. 009 is found dead, with a Faberge egg, dressed improbably in a clown suit, baffling mi6. Then, near the end, 007 ends up at a circus, and goes undercover in a clown suit... and the pieces come together.
    What I actually liked about the clown suit (silly as it is), was the foreshadowing with 009's death in the beginning of the film. 009 is found dead, with a Faberge egg, dressed improbably in a clown suit, baffling mi6. Then, near the end, 007 ends up at a circus, and goes undercover in a clown suit... and the pieces come together.

I agree. No one seems to bring up that scene when they mention the idea of Bond dressed as a clown. The sequence with 009 was pretty tense and the fact he was dressed the way he was didn't matter. If anything it made the scene even more intriguing.

I think the scene in the gorilla suit/the head being cut off was a little too silly however.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I too agree the clown suit fitted with the eariler scene,while the gorilla suit was a little silly, but alovely bit of editing with the head being cut off to show Bond escaping through a roof hatch.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The gorilla scene is silly because ... just how did he get out of it, without beeing seen? A gorilla suit is tedious gear to remove!

Then again, he did have time to apply full clown makeup, (including the tear), in a minute of time. So yeah, just a little bit silly. (Though I still love OP's entire second half set in Germany)
  • jeffchjeffch Posts: 163MI6 Agent
    An old Roger Moore bedding Grace Jones...eh, more awkward that silly I suppose
  • SidewinderSidewinder HollandPosts: 14MI6 Agent
    LALD/TMWTGG - Sheriff Pepper. lame, very lame...
    YOLT - The Japanese hairstyle of Bond :(
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    The gorilla scene is silly because ... just how did he get out of it, without beeing seen? A gorilla suit is tedious gear to remove!

Then again, he did have time to apply full clown makeup, (including the tear), in a minute of time. So yeah, just a little bit silly. (Though I still love OP's entire second half set in Germany)

I prefer the first half of Octopussy, in India. The second half in Berlin kind of dragged on a little, especially with General Orlov's scenes.

With A View To A Kill, I definitely prefer the second half, by miles. It is one of my favorite Bond movies, but I guess not that much happened at the Château. Once the film heads to San Francisco, it is pretty awesome in my opinion.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan