Is there a Bond film which is your favourite but everyone else doesn't

2»

Comments

• Q and MQ and M IrelandPosts: 171MI6 Agent
    apart from the space scenes, i thought moonraker was quite gud, a gud plot up until den. also, i thought dat the world is not enough was brosnans best film
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    Well, Timothy Dalton is my favourite James Bond actor, mainly due to his performance on The Living Daylights. He followed the Bond from the novels, and was serious.

As for films; A View To A Kill is often considered by many to be among the worst, but for me, it is in the top five. I absolutely loved the film, thanks to the amazing locales, villain, plot, entertainment and of course the action. Moore was too old I agree, but it didn't have too much of an affect, because everything else about it was terrific. It may not be my absolute favorite in the series, but it's up there.

For Your Eyes Only is my absolute favorite in the series, just ahead of On Her Majesty's Secret Service. It does kind of suck to see that no one ever seems to place it as #1 or even close, but they enjoy it just as one of Moore's better films. This film had it all for me, action, Bond girl, actors, acting, villain (well, not a real baddie, Kristatos did a fine job), locations, entertainment and most importantly a serious Ian Fleming approach, which we would not see again until The Living Daylights.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    chrisno1 wrote:
    chrisno1 wrote:
    Tomorrow Never Dies

For me the best action sequences out of all of Brosnan's films and quite funny too. While the producers missed a trick by having JUST 2 agents destroy a whole stealth boat (where were the SBS when you needed them? BB and MGW clearly learnt nothing from the less than satisfting climax to GE) it's by far my favourite from the '90s. Top 5 or 6 overall for me.

I agree. For me, Tomorrow Never Dies is Brosnan's best film.

At last! I thought I was the only one who thought this! I feel I can finally start the party {[]
    It's the best Brosnan Bond. And I prefer The Living Daylights to Licence to Kill even though LTK gets cited more often.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,274MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    chrisno1 wrote:

I agree. For me, Tomorrow Never Dies is Brosnan's best film.

At last! I thought I was the only one who thought this! I feel I can finally start the party {[]
    It's the best Brosnan Bond. And I prefer The Living Daylights to Licence to Kill even though LTK gets cited more often.

I'd second that too!
  • mrbain007mrbain007 Posts: 393MI6 Agent
    For me TWINE and LTK rank pretty highly, although I know they are often judged as weaker entries.
  • Gebruder GumboldGebruder Gumbold San FranciscoPosts: 541MI6 Agent
    OHMSS may have FINALLY received its rightful place amongst Bond fans as a great film, however, I had to endure, whilst growing up in the 1970's in the USA, every kid who had seen only the TV version deride this film, and me.
    I was the lone voice, it seemed, for years, educating anyone who would listen about how good this film was, and urging them to at least rent the Beta version!
    Then, finally, sometime in the 1990's OHMSS began to be noticed.
    Just like the SF Giants winning the World Series, I hung in there during cold, freezing summers with a losing team all those years, only to have thousands jump on the bandwagon this year.

I would like to hear from fellow OHMSS devotees who are now out of the closet, and who had been loving this film in secret suring the low points, like the 1976 US TV version...

Tom
    OHMSSDBS.com
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Can't say I always Loved OHMSS, ON first Viewing I hated it.It seemed too slow,too long not enough Action sequences.But As I got a little More mature I grew to love it and become my Favorite,Can't see anything replacing it on the top of my list.
    I even Think G Lazenby is perfect in it he's young and not so sure of himself and it shows as a more Human Bond, A man In control but vunerable.Somehow I don't think It would of been as Good if Connery had done it. Peter Hunt IMHO did a fantastic Job Directing,Wish he'd gotten the chance to do more,Only recently learned he could of done FYEO.
    OHMSS IMHO Is the Perfect Bond Film -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,274MI6 Agent
    OHMSS may have FINALLY received its rightful place amongst Bond fans as a great film, however, I had to endure, whilst growing up in the 1970's in the USA, every kid who had seen only the TV version deride this film, and me.
    I was the lone voice, it seemed, for years, educating anyone who would listen about how good this film was, and urging them to at least rent the Beta version!
    Then, finally, sometime in the 1990's OHMSS began to be noticed.
    Just like the SF Giants winning the World Series, I hung in there during cold, freezing summers with a losing team all those years, only to have thousands jump on the bandwagon this year.

I would like to hear from fellow OHMSS devotees who are now out of the closet, and who had been loving this film in secret suring the low points, like the 1976 US TV version...

Tom
    OHMSSDBS.com

Out of interst is the 1976 version the infamous bastardised TV cut of OHMSS which starts with Bond escaping from Piz Gloria and then runs in flashback, up to the ski chases, repeating some of what the audience has already seen, before the final conclusion?
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,287MI6 Agent
    Wonder if that's on youtube? Will look.

In a way, it's not that bastardised, as the book itself starts with a flashforward.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Well I think Dalton and Lazenby now are getting the respect they deserve as thir movies are some of the very best in the series so I am not going to go with those. Mine will have to be TMWTGG. I think it is the best of Roger moore movies. Even better than TSWLM and FYEO. This is mainly because of the villain whom I believe is the best villain in the series. Scaramange even manages to beat Sanchez which is amazing. Maybe Christopher Lee is just amazing as usual. But I love the plot. It is very relaxed and down to earth in a Thunderball kind of way. And Roger Moores performance is very good. He is really a bad ass. And it is maybe the only one of Roger Moore Bond movies which surprises me. I liked that the ending is a duel rather than i large scale action sequence. Eventually we get our explosions and there is a reason for it.
    I think there are some explosions towards the end of a lot of Bond movies that are not accounted for. Why does the headquarters of Alex Trevelyan blow up at the end of GE...? A pen/Grenade cannot cause that much damage. Its cool but kind of irrelevant.
    I see the flaws in TMWTGG. JW Pepper should not be in it at all and the karate girls that beat an entire karate school. They should not be in it at all. The boat chase is very dull and the music lacks in variety but its quite good. Apart from these things I think the movie is a masterpiece.
    I don't understand why people hate it more than Moonraker... How is that possible...? Moonraker is a **** spoof... The ending is a bad bad version og Star Wars which is bad enough already. The only thing about Moonraker which is better than TMWTGG is John Barry's score but not the theme song. I love the moment in TMWTGG where Bond visits Lazar.
    "You're quite right - An Inch too low..."
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    I could list a Bond movie I consider to be one of the worst, and yet not many people see it that way. This is also my least favorite outing from Roger Moore;

The Man With The Golden Gun.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan