Black Bond Actor?

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited October 2011
    This such a stupid topic, designed to evoke strong feeling and defensive behavior. I don't want a black Bond. It's not what it's about. Bond is a white British agent. And to be honest, he should not have blond hair either.
    I am not racist. Not in the slightest. I was with a black woman for years, I loved her, and I miss her. I miss her brothers too.
    If a new film came out with a good black actor in it, I would watch it without question. The fact that they are black means nothing to me either way - if it's good, it's good.
    I have watched Hamlet with an all black cast, and to be honest, it made no difference - accept for the fact that most people were there because of the fact, which either made 1/2 the audience "reverse" prejudice, and the other 1/2 race curious. I was there because I wanted to sh*g the girl who had the tickets and would have sat through anything. The play was good BTW. The sh*g was bloody amazing... :v

+1 without the sh*gging. I have never had one :#
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
    This is a very interesting topic because I have often thought of the direction the film industry is headed. I'm completely fine with black actors, LALD was a great example of wonderful acting. I just feel that in this case James Bond should not be black because of the tradition that's been carried on for nearly 50 years now. CR brought in a black Felix Leiter, which i thought was very interesting. I believe Bond 23 will have Naome Harris (name?) as Miss Moneypenny, a black actress. I'm not so sure if making these changes is the right move because it goes against the tradition and legacy Bond has built up over the years.
    "Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE
  • WordsAndDreamsWordsAndDreams Posts: 93MI6 Agent
    Completely off topic, but while i was reading this thread the Nebraska marching band started playing the james bond theme during the Nebraska/Michigan State game. A really weird coincidence that i thought i'd share.

Now back on topic. I'm in the camp that very much believes James Bond (and other established characters) should stay as the character was written because that's just who the character is. This is especially the case with a character like Bond, where so much of his look and personality is well documented. With that said, i wouldn't oppose any bond actor whether he be black, white, american, whatever, as long as he was the best and most qualified actor to play bond at the time. The only thing that might upset me a little is if they hired a certain actor with the only reason being to make a political or social statement.
  • pyratpyrat Posts: 260MI6 Agent
    So far we've had M become female, Bill Tanner and Felix Leiter played by black guys. I actually liked all three of these moves, but it seems to me they may be getting carried away with Miss Moneypenny.

As to making Bond a black guy, there are two films that come to mind, The Absent Minded Professor and The Wild Wild West, both of which bombed at the box office largely because the public was very familiar with these shows and just didn't buy into the character change.

I've also never been particularly fond of blond Bonds, having started my Bond experience with the Fleming novels and Sean Connery. I guess I'm a traditionalist, my favorite films tend to be those which update but otherwise stick fairly closely to the novels.
    Pyrat
    Reflections in a double bourbon...
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    1 without the sh*gging. I have never had one :#

The thread has merit as long as it remains objective.....

Race and color are always tricky ground, but in this context (entertainment branding and packaging) really no different from the point about viewer acceptance of hamlet or for that matter whether Aston martins in bond films should be silver!

It should matter to all fans, and certainly the producers, whether a particular variation of bond ( or for that matter any other major character - eg a female Q ?) would work and improve the franchise, or not.... And certainly shouldnt be tried as just a gimmick...

I for one would have given colon salmon a chance .... My wife agrees... But some feel it muddles the filmography for an actor to go from one part to another in a series.
    That said few notice the example of Charles gray...

I've developed a lot of respect for TSA's contributions, and while I don't agree this time, I think his viewpoint is important.

As to bond toys, well all I can say is, mate, you don't know what you're missing, and if you're nice to the wife you might get your first tonight... :007)
    :)) how did I know, that I couldn't win on this.

Happens, when a non-native tries to get around the term "black" in that context :D

• thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    ke02eww wrote:
    I for one would have given colon salmon a chance .... My wife agrees... But some feel it muddles the filmography for an actor to go from one part to another in a series.

colon salmon - sounds like Heston Blumenthal is cooking up a new low... :))
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    ke02eww wrote:

colon salmon - sounds like Heston Blumenthal is cooking up a new low... :))

Lol..... I meant when he was in the running for Bond...

http://commanderbond.net/2606/colin-salmon-bond-6-betting-dismissed-as-publicity-stunt.html

That was 8 yrs ago and now he's 50ish and too old...

:007)
  • ronaldad28ronaldad28 Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    I think there should be one . . . playing James bond character in future movies as all of James bond character and still played by white guy actors. I know there are many black male actors who can play James bond character much better than first ones.
    ronaldad28 wrote:
    I think there should be one (url removed)Black Male Actors playing James bond character in future movies as all of James bond character and still played by white guy actors. I know there are many black male actors who can play James bond character much better than first ones.

and surprisingly you are one of them? :v
    Digging out a 1 yo thread just to spam your webpage - welcome to the board!

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I still think Adrian Lester would make a great Bond.

A_Lester.jpg
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    ronaldad28 wrote:
    I think there should be one (url removed)Black Male Actors playing James bond character in future movies as all of James bond character and still played by white guy actors. I know there are many black male actors who can play James bond character much better than first ones.

and surprisingly you are one of them? :v
    Digging out a 1 yo thread just to spam your webpage - welcome to the board!

Ronnie Cash?! RONNIE CASH?!!! :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

FFS, that's gonna make me laugh all day at all the wrong moments.

I bet your pub-style rendition of 'walk the line' is stunning, is it a mix of vic reeves and Lenny Henry?

Back on the terrible topic subject, a black james bond......

Jesus, who brings up this crap and why? Is it brought up like a proverbial hair ball to instigate the age old bickering of 'you must be racist' or something? I can imagine a group of bond fans in a bar, some trouble starter sticks their head round the door and shouts 'bond should be black!' and then legs it, leaving a chaotic brawl.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    I can imagine a group of bond fans in a bar, some trouble starter sticks their head round the door and shouts 'bond should be black!' and then legs it, leaving a chaotic brawl.

How about a couple of Bond prop makers and I stick my head around and just say:

"Moonraker Cam" :D

• PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I still think Adrian Lester would make a great Bond.

A_Lester.jpg

I think he would be great in a Bond movie, he could be a great 00, but I don't think he should be Bond. I don't want to get mixed up in this discussion, but seeing Adrian Lester mentioned I had to reply.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    I don't really want to get too deep into this discussion as well, it pops up
    now and then. But when it does I like to throw old Adrian's name in. As I
    think he's a brilliant actor. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Bondtoys wrote:
    minigeff wrote:
    I can imagine a group of bond fans in a bar, some trouble starter sticks their head round the door and shouts 'bond should be black!' and then legs it, leaving a chaotic brawl.

How about you STFU? :o

If having a black bond is such a politically correct idea, why not go the whole hog and have a black ginger haired gay overweight one legged buck-toothed blind deaf and dumb woman play the part next?

Oh and if you don't agree, you must be a racist, homophobic, gingerist, fatist who holds grudges against disabled people and females.

Discuss for the next 12 pages without coming to any sensible agreement or conclusion...
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    I agree with minigeff. This topic, IMO, is silly. Bond shouldn't be black. And that don't make me a racist.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Why so hostile, friend? This is a discussion that crops up from time-to-time and although I think it was raised by a numbskull this time, there are differing and legitmate views about this issue. Although I am Black myself, I have weighed in before to say that I think Bond's ethnicity and nationality are essential parts of his character. For that reason I don't think he would be Bond if he were portrayed by a Black actor. On the other hand, I have no problems with a Black Felix Leiter or a female M because to me the race and gender of those characters are not as essential, and it didn't long for me to get comfortable with those changes. But that's just me.
    minigeff wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

If having a black bond is such a politically correct idea, why not go the whole hog and have a black ginger haired gay overweight one legged buck-toothed blind deaf and dumb woman play the part next?

Oh and if you don't agree, you must be a racist, homophobic, gingerist, fatist who holds grudges against disabled people and females.

Discuss for the next 12 pages without coming to any sensible agreement or conclusion...
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • GordoLeiterGordoLeiter Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    edited September 2012
    I dont think it should matter what race Bond would be in a future movie.
    Just so long as he's not American. :p
    Why so hostile, friend? This is a discussion that crops up from time-to-time and although I think it was raised by a numbskull this time, there are differing and legitmate views about this issue. Although I am Black myself, I have weighed in before to say that I think Bond's ethnicity and nationality are essential parts of his character. For that reason I don't think he would be Bond if he were portrayed by a Black actor. On the other hand, I have no problems with a Black Felix Leiter or a female M because to me the race and gender of those characters are not as essential, and it didn't long for me to get comfortable with those changes. But that's just me.
    minigeff wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:

:)) the 'STFU' comment is a joke, Bondtoys knows that, its our banter ya see. He is an arse though. Back end of horse etc.

Anyways, the reason I hate this daft 'should bond be black' question is it never ever comes to a conclusion, and those (like me) who don't think it is a good idea, risk being pointed at and called racists.

I don't think Bond should be black. There ya go, I said it. Its a crap idea.

The reason why is because Bond is not a mere character dreamt up over night. The character has more history than any other in the world of film, and he was written as being a white englishman.

Making Bond black would be along the same lines as changing his sex, or ethnicity. Its NOT a matter of me disliking any particuarly colour, race, creed, religion or gender, its just me thinking that his character shouldn't change.

You say Iron man, people think of rich white guy, say blade and you think hard-arse black guy, you say Bond, you think white english dude.

I believe that change is great, and thats one of the fundemental things thats allowed the Bond character to move with the times and continue being successful. Some things though should stay the same.

Hope this answers your question, and that you, nor anyone else immediately jumps to the wrong unfounded conclusion that I'm racist etc etc, cos i aint.

MG :x
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    not a racist but a t*t because calling kind and peaceful members here bad things :#

Bondtoys wrote:
    not a racist but a t*t because calling kind and peaceful members here bad things :#

:x
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Never said, nor implied you are a racist. As I said, I happen to agree that a Black Bond is a bad idea, and racism has nothing to do with it. I just thought your first response was a tad bit of an overreaction, but now I understand that you were (1) joking with a friend and (2) expressing your frustration over a seemingly never-ending topic. So we're good, right?
    minigeff wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

:)) the 'STFU' comment is a joke, Bondtoys knows that, its our banter ya see. He is an arse though. Back end of horse etc.

Anyways, the reason I hate this daft 'should bond be black' question is it never ever comes to a conclusion, and those (like me) who don't think it is a good idea, risk being pointed at and called racists.

I don't think Bond should be black. There ya go, I said it. Its a crap idea.

The reason why is because Bond is not a mere character dreamt up over night. The character has more history than any other in the world of film, and he was written as being a white englishman.

Making Bond black would be along the same lines as changing his sex, or ethnicity. Its NOT a matter of me disliking any particuarly colour, race, creed, religion or gender, its just me thinking that his character shouldn't change.

You say Iron man, people think of rich white guy, say blade and you think hard-arse black guy, you say Bond, you think white english dude.

I believe that change is great, and thats one of the fundemental things thats allowed the Bond character to move with the times and continue being successful. Some things though should stay the same.

Hope this answers your question, and that you, nor anyone else immediately jumps to the wrong unfounded conclusion that I'm racist etc etc, cos i aint.

MG :x
  • GordoLeiterGordoLeiter Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    *looks at BlackLeiter and Minigeff*......kiss and make uuupppp.
    Cool. I'll make up - but I ain't kissing! :D
    *looks at BlackLeiter and Minigeff*......kiss and make uuupppp.
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww go on! Just a peck...no tongues!!!

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
    Will you please post photos of Blackleiter and minigeff In make-up. :p
    Or would that be far too upsetting for most AJBers. :o
    Jesus Christ, I leave you chumps for 5 mins and you've match made me up with some guy!! :o

And yeah, I'm 'cool' with everyone. -{
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    And yeah, I'm 'cool' with everyone.

MMMMUAAAAH! :))