Black Bond Actor?

Comments

• BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I'm begining to think that perhaps even I may be too old now
    and the call from Michael and Barbara might not come ! :#

Keep hope alive, TP. You never know! :))
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    How many of you people here think (and maybe want) this to become reality? Now with these rumors that Sony wants the next Bond to be Black, and with the whole Idris Elba thing, as a Bond fan this leaves me concerend...

How much influence does Sony have on the movies anyway? I assumed it were United Artists and EON themselves that ultimately controled Bond..

My own opinion: Bond should be white. For the same obvious reasons that it would be just as strange if a white actor would portray Nelson Mandela. Or if a female would be chosen as the next Bond.
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
    For the same obvious reasons that it would be just as strange if a white actor would portray Nelson Mandela.

I always find these types of comparisons to be very strange. James Bond is a fictional character. To me that makes a real difference. That's not to say that there might not be significant issues with making Bond Black, but it's clearly not the same thing.
    For the same obvious reasons that it would be just as strange if a white actor would portray Nelson Mandela.

I always find these types of comparisons to be very strange. James Bond is a fictional character. To me that makes a real difference. That's not to say that there might not be significant issues with making Bond Black, but it's clearly not the same thing.

You're right, fictional characters are not real. But that doesn't mean one doesn't have a vision of what Bond should be. I think it's the same that he should never be female. Don't get me wrong though, I loved how they made both Felix Leiter and Moneypenny black in their latest incarnations. They are probably my favorite versions of those characters portrayed so far.

But I feel an actor that is playing James Bond should atleast meet certain demands. I would love to play James Bond myself as well, but even if I was a terrific actor that spoke accentless English and had the perfect looks, I would probably not get the part for the simple reason that I'm Dutch, and people have a certain vision of what the character should be. (Atleast his gender/ heritage / ethnicity etc)

But my other question remains, how much does Sony have to do with Bond anyway?
    I would love to play James Bond myself as well, but even if I was a terrific actor that spoke accentless English and had the perfect looks, I would probably not get the part for the simple reason that I'm Dutch, and people have a certain vision of what the character should be

I get your point, but I think you are overstating just a bit. Remember, Lazenby got the part despite being Austrailian and not exactly speaking "accentless" English. But he had the familiar look and ethnicity for sure.
    I would love to play James Bond myself as well, but even if I was a terrific actor that spoke accentless English and had the perfect looks, I would probably not get the part for the simple reason that I'm Dutch, and people have a certain vision of what the character should be

I get your point, but I think you are overstating just a bit. Remember, Lazenby got the part despite being Austrailian and not exactly speaking "accentless" English. But he had the familiar look and ethnicity for sure.

True, but those were clearly different times as the guy wasn't even an actor and somehow got the role. (It's still beyond me that it actually happened that a model got to follow up Connery!)

It's not to say that maybe if the next Bond would indeed be black my opinion wouldn't change, I have memories of not being fond of the choice of Craig because he didn't look like Bond. But he clearly proofed he was very good! And to be fair, there are a lot of good black and English actors out there who i'm sure could convince me too.

But as of now, I personally feel it just wouldn't be right...
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,612Chief of Staff
    stag wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    stag wrote:
    They were stretching the elastic by hiring the Toby jug that is DC yet they pulled it off

I've heard he speaks very highly of you too !

No need for childish insults...and if that's the best you can do :#

Believe me I can do much better than that but seemingly made the mistake of speaking as if I was in the pub speaking to men. I also forgot the sensitive nature of the debate, poor old Daniel, if I upset his or others sensibilities I truly apologise. Of course instead of being old fashioned I should have referred to him as 'aesthetically challenged'.

Here's waiting for the nodding dogs........................

Sarcasm and childish insults...I'm impressed 8-)

And, to clarify, this isn't a pub....just in case you were confused...
    YNWA 97
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    And, to clarify, this isn't a pub....just in case you were confused...
    ....,..;; why's the rum gone..'.,.?
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    .',; but....', why's the rum gone?.,',''
    Sounds like LCOD talk to me. 8-)
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent

Mandela is a historical figure. Audiences expect actors playing historical figures to resemble said figures. A more appropriate comparison would be Ryan Gosling as Shaft.

Anyway the motion picture industry is rather risk-averse. Look at the casting the the 2009 Star Trek reboot.
    cheld wrote:
    Mandela is a historical figure. Audiences expect actors playing historical figures to resemble said figures. A more appropriate comparison would be Ryan Gosling as Shaft.

Precisely my point! -{
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It's a suggestion in the AJB glossary from Thunderbird2, which
    I think nicely sums up some of your posts. :#

Loose Canon On Deck.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,375Chief of Staff
    Well, I must say I am surprised. I have been concerned that this thread might have caused trouble but this is not what I was fearing.

stag, there is no need to insult fellow members by calling us "nodding dogs". And I assure you that Sir Miles is not a man who hides behind his position- he would call you out on what you said anyway, and isn't trigger-happy.

Edit- oh, and there aren't too many youngsters around here...

(TP, the word is "cannon" in this context)
    stag wrote:
    It's a suggestion in the AJB glossary from Thunderbird2, which
    I think nicely sums up some of your posts. :#

Loose Canon On Deck.

Ah I see. I've always been a bit of a maverick.
    .,'', there'll be no living with him after this..',','.. 8-)
    I'm so used to camera equipment Canon is how I usually
    Spell it . :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I'm so used to camera equipment Canon is how I usually
    Spell it . :))
    Silly silly photographic man... 8-)
    Hey, somebody's got to be . ;)
    cheld wrote:

Anyway the motion picture industry is rather risk-averse. Look at the casting the the 2009 Star Trek reboot.

Yes fair enough, I understood Blackleiters point in this as well. But like I explained above, I feel there are certain requirements one would have to meet to become my vision of what Bond is. I feel Bond being white is a relatively normal attribute, much like him being male.

But, maybe I'm being a bit narrow minded then?
    I feel Bond being white is a relatively normal attribute, much like him being male.
    Back when X-Men came out I had a REAL problem with Wolverine being over 5'5"...
    But Jackman made Wolvie his own.

Look, we all have our preconceptions, but the main thing is a great performance in a great film IMHO.

Basically, my favourite Bond films were made in the 20th Century. I'll always have them at my beck & call.
    A short, blond Bond? Cool. A black Bond? Go for it. A female Bond? Haywire showed it might be done.

My last word here: if not period pieces, the films move on. As Spock said, "Change is the essential nature of all existence."
    chrisisall wrote:
    I feel Bond being white is a relatively normal attribute, much like him being male.
    Back when X-Men came out I had a REAL problem with Wolverine being over 5'5"...
    But Jackman made Wolvie his own.

Look, we all have our preconceptions, but the main thing is a great performance in a great film IMHO.

Basically, my favourite Bond films were made in the 20th Century. I'll always have them at my beck & call.
    A short, blond Bond? Cool. A black Bond? Go for it. A female Bond? Haywire showed it might be done.

My last word here: if not period pieces, the films move on. As Spock said, "Change is the essential nature of all existence."

Well, all I can say is, well said. I suppose you guys make some valid points here. I just find it hard to accept at this point, it's the preconceptions like you said. But like I mentioned above, to be fair I do know a lot of black actors who I think would do great and are surely able to convince me. So if it ever happens, I guess it will grow on me.

But still, seriously how much influence does Sony have on Bond anyway? Anyone?
    if it ever happens, I guess it will grow on me.
    Very opened-minded of you. But for you and I, let's face it- Dalton was the best.
    But still, seriously how much influence does Sony have on Bond anyway? Anyone?
    It's a money thing. Finance can always leverage creative content to one degree or another. It richly depends upon the integrity of the producers.
  • rclavienrclavien Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    So, why not remake Gone With the Wind and make Rhett Butler a Latino? Come on!! Ian Fleming defined a character. I have nothing against a black super spy, just don't call him James Bond. Shakespeare had Othello as black and I don't see people clamoring to have a white actor play that role. If Broccoli and Wilson want to test the waters and see how many people don't see a James Bond movie as compared to those in the past, then go for it. It will just further show they care nothing for the character and only feel the need to feed their egos. Guess their parents didn't teach them much about respect.
    rclavien wrote:
    If Broccoli and Wilson want to test the waters and see how many people don't see a James Bond movie as compared to those in the past, then go for it. It will just further show they care nothing for the character and only feel the need to feed their egos. Guess their parents didn't teach them much about respect.
    You might be missing a bit of the point here. If Bond is continually updated to reflect the present, and is not presented as a 'period' Bond, then what's to say a black (or female) Bond couldn't be? Bond born in the 90's needn't BE the Bond born in the early 20th Century with all the baggage of the time. Seriously.
    stag wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Well, I must say I am surprised. I have been concerned that this thread might have caused trouble but this is not what I was fearing.

stag, there is no need to insult fellow members by calling us "nodding dogs". And I assure you that Sir Miles is not a man who hides behind his position- he would call you out on what you said anyway, and isn't trigger-happy.

Edit- oh, and there aren't too many youngsters around here...

This is good to hear. I'm sure you also understand there is no need to insult members by making derisory remarks against them in response to comments from the POV of moderation when the 'issue' could have been resolved far more neutrally - go back a page or two & re read.

Now I shall return to topic.

The implication being that I have not been following this thread, and need to go back a page or two? Don't make such assumptions.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:

Barbel - the spelling Police recently :D :D :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    After rereading this thread I can't help but think .......
    If I wanted a conversation full of vitriol, anger, insults and nastiness.
    I'll talk to the wife ! :)) ;)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I guess that most of us are a bit bitchy when being heavily hangover'd between the holidays :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Some people start the day in learned discourse, to raise their spirits and
    To raise themselves higher to more understand the great spirit of the universe.
    I on the other hand, start it to prove I know everything and I'm the Best
    At everything, and am generally Great! :))
    stag wrote:
    I actually made no such implications, if you see my post you'll notice I requested a re read. Not good to make assumptions!

Mm-hm... no re-read required, this thread is at present the most closely watched on this site.

(and Higgins, you started the spelling thing)