Henry Cavill as Bond when Craig has had his run?

14567810»

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,619Chief of Staff
    I see you've not used my full quote where I said I am a fan of a more realistic Bond. I find Craig's Bonds Full of silly moments, I'll not list them all but here's a few. :))

Why don't the air bags work on the Aston Martin ?
    Given the choice of a small maneuverable light aircraft or a big lumbering antique, what does Bond choose ?
    Telling your leading lady the guy who lent you said aircraft would make more money when he sold them out. hardly the making of a suprise attack ! why didn't Bond knock him out at least ?
    Why when M keeps telling Bond about all the people he's been killing Like an undercover Policeman. Does Bond not set her straight.
    and of course the Crappy CGI , the plane on fire looks like an oil painting.

I'll leave it at that. as I really don't want to go on knocking QOS, I did say that I did like a more realistic Bond, And stated that this scene was out of place in the movie Harking back to the Moore era and not in keeping with the feel of the rest of the movie. I'm sure Others are very happy with it, and think it fits nicley with the rest of the action sequences.
    As for the lazer, I always thought the spinning Buzzsaw from the novel more scary. :)) But I've never been able to eat a scotch egg ever again. :))
    I'm merley point out that SOME people seem to turn a blind eye to some minor faults in Craigs Bonds, yet seem to rush to point out the faults in Others.And this scene goes against everthing the movie and its predecessor has layed out for us for Craigs Bond, He's more Human, vunerable , Not a superman. Ahh now that gets me on to Henry Cavill ................................... :)) :)) :))

No I didn't quote you in full....didn't think I needed to as that wasn't the part I wanted to discuss....

As for your 'silly points'....

The airbags are a fair point...but it's only a film and airbags seldom seem to deploy in films...
    Was Bond given a choice of plane to use ? I don't recall him being given a choice....so I don't agree with that point.
    He told her so she would expect an attack....she IS a field experienced operative and could handle the truth...and even, heaven forbid, help ;) ... :)) And are we certain there is only one person there when he rents the aircraft..?...but I can see your point....
    Why doesn't Bond set M straight..?...I guess you mean the killing of the bodyguard...?...do you think Bond thinks that M would even listen to his explanation..?..she told him to 'come in for a debrief'...my take is that Bond thinks it doesn't matter if he expains or not...she'll still tell him to come in...
    I don't really think the CGI is crappy....but then I am old and my eyes aren't what they used to be :))

As for 'rushing out to point out the faults of other(s)" Bonds....I guess as SOME like to point out the minor faults in DC, then SOME will point out that the others aren't exactly lacking in minor faults either :D

Nice discussion... :)
    YNWA 97
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I do so enjoy our little visits Sir Miles,However potentially painful they may be.But this one has come to an end. :)) But I shall return with more half baked ideas on Bond.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I do so enjoy our little visits Sir Miles,However potentially painful they may be.But this one has come to an end. :)) But I shall return with more half baked ideas on Bond.

And I shall look forward to them -{
    YNWA 97
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

And I shall look forward to them -{

Good debate guys.....plenty of realistic fight scenes and even a bit of Moore irony.... :p

But topped off with a handshake.... -{

Btw the cgi sucked..... Only dad cgi ranks worse in my book. :s
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    The parachute jump in QOS really stood out like a sore thumb because it was so out of charactor for the re-boot.
    Two people on a shute designed to support the weight of one person are gonna hit the ground hard, sure, but survivable (especially for that guy named Bond :007) ). The magically exploding bathroom in the CR precredits is more annoying to me, but whatevs.
    ke02eww wrote:
    Good debate guys.....plenty of realistic fight scenes and even a bit of Moore irony.... :p

I'm going to have to re-watch this part again....can't say I noticed if it was that bad or not....just that scene...not the whole film obviously ;)
    YNWA 97
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    ke02eww wrote:

I'm going to have to re-watch this part again....can't say I noticed if it was that bad or not....just that scene...not the whole film obviously ;)

An example.... As TP says, shades of an oil painting...

http://screenmusings.org/QuantumOfSolace/pages/QoS_1511.htm
    Thanks for the link....I understand the part you mean now....actually, I seem to remember - on my first viewing - I had a similar opinion....poor CGI.....I just guess that on repeat viewings I don't notice it as much.... :))
    YNWA 97
  • WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    As a suggested rule of thumb for future films; go back to grass-roots. If they need to use CGI for anything then they're already quite detracted.

They only do it to make the movies more appealing to the portable audience and to raise their profile against competitors.

Regards,
    Wilde. -{
    Wilde wrote:
    As a suggested rule of thumb for future films; go back to grass-roots. If they need to use CGI for anything then they're already quite detracted.

I'm sure I read that when they started CR they decided to 'do it for real' where ever they could, only using CGI where they had too....and I'm all for that... -{
    YNWA 97
    Unless they can get the CGI spot on I'd rather they would do the stunts/action in camera.I think alot of audiences respect it when film makes do things for real with the stunt/action work. It should be used to help a scene ( like moving fighters closer to each other during very dangerous moves, or to enhance an explosion or two, But should not be an answer to an entire scene in a movie.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Stand-In SpyStand-In Spy Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    Let 007 "retire" after Daniel Craig's run. A few years later, start anew with Henry Cavill who should be in his mid 30's. Perfect age, for a new Bond era.
    HenryCavill.jpg
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    A few years later, start anew with Henry Cavill who should be in his mid 30's. Perfect age, for a new Bond era.
    HenryCavill.jpg

I agree. That picture especially makes Cavill look too young to be Bond right now, but I think that by the time he's in his early to mid 30s, he'd be perfect for the role. I think I'd like him as Bond, but not just yet.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
    I think their original idea for CR was a really young Bond just starting out as a new "00", from what I've read over the years M Campbell even thouight H Cavill had the Part. Hence the scene at the hotel where the german Driver thinks Bond is a Valet ( as he's supposed to be so young ) Doesn't work as well with Craig as he's clearly too old to be a Car valet ( unless he's had some bad Career advice ).
    I agree though that in a couple of Years Cavill would be perfect, unless after superman he's too big a star and would cost a fortune to get.
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    I think their original idea for CR was a really young Bond just starting out as a new "00", from what I've read over the years M Campbell even thouight H Cavill had the Part. Hence the scene at the hotel where the german Driver thinks Bond is a Valet ( as he's supposed to be so young ) Doesn't work as well with Craig as he's clearly too old to be a Car valet ( unless he's had some bad Career advice ).
    I agree though that in a couple of Years Cavill would be perfect, unless after superman he's too big a star and would cost a fortune to get.

Far from perfect in my view, besides I cannot imagine that EON would go with him after Superman. BTW there are rumblings in the Superman Blogesphere that he is too short to play Superman...which is kinda amusing given the same flak directed against Craig early on. Although for me DC is far from the 'Tall, Dark & Handsome mould, I would not want to go from him to such a pretty- boy as Cavill. From what I have seen of him it would be a return to a Roger Moore type of Bond, as try as he might Cavill has not as yet done 'ruthless' in a convincing way. I really hope thgat the next Bond is out 'there' somewhere and at the moment unknown and with little baggage. For the moment however roll on 23 whch I have a good feeling about and hope it will deliver the fully realised and final performance from DC.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,812MI6 Agent
    There is no guarantee Cavill becomes a star after Superman. Brandon Routh made a good superman movie, but he isn't a star now.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,290MI6 Agent
    I don't buy into the whole idea this guy is a Bond in waiting, that it's inevitable.

His voice isn't quite right to me, and he looks a bit jowelly like he's got a ruff, and his nose is a bit piggy. He's not ageing the way Connery is around the same time (i.e improving), though tbh Connery in Dr No looks a bit simian, there's a change of sorts between that and Goldfinger, I'm not sure why. I don't know that he had any work done.

Yeah, I sound like a bitch but currently what else are we going on other than looks?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    If Brandon Routh was from the UK, I bet alot of folks would have thought he might make a great Bond with a little "weathering". Interestingly, Routh's Superman film was a continuation of the films with Christopher Reeve. The film IMO was decent enough but what really stood out was that Routh physically and performance-wise really embodied Reeve's charactorization of Superman without it coming off as an impersonation; it was almost like they had cloned Reeve. The Superman that Cavill is playing is a re-boot and ironically from what I have read almost sounds like what EON did with Bond and Craig: grittier and with a harder edge.
  • james362001james362001 Lancaster, California USAPosts: 338MI6 Agent
    I don't think Daniel Craig wants to let go of "James Bond". It's all riding on how successful Bond 23 will be. If I'm not mistaken, I think for Bond 24 (2014), Craig may have the option to be asked to return.
    As for Henry Cavill, it depends on if he will be making any further "Superman" movies after "Man of Steel" is released June 14, 2013. I think Cavill is going to be a "hot ticket" after Superman.
    EON Productions will have many handsome men to audition I'm sure once the announcement is made that Daniel Craig turns in his 007. I think Judi Dench will probably go out with Daniel Craig's last Bond movie too. :007)
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    He would be fantastic, but we need to let him age. By the time Craig finishes and they are ready tom move on, he could be the right age.
  • GaddGeneGaddGaddGeneGadd Posts: 189MI6 Agent
    Sean Connery had a great deal of dental work done between Dr No and Goldfinger. He had a pronounced overbite that he had corrected once he became a star.
    Mr Beech wrote:
    He would be fantastic, but we need to let him age. By the time Craig finishes and they are ready tom move on, he could be the right age.

Don't see it with Cavill at all. Probably moot as after Superman EON would never touch him, no matter how much Babs might like him !

He has a lot of supporters here though. It!s really interesting that there is a fair amount of comment in hyper space that he is not tall enough for Superman.
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    zaphod wrote:
    Mr Beech wrote:

Don't see it with Cavill at all. Probably moot as after Superman EON would never touch him, no matter how much Babs might like him !

He has a lot of supporters here though. It!s really interesting that there is a fair amount of comment in hyper space that he is not tall enough for Superman.

I'm not saying he is THE next Bond, just that as the only name I have seen put out there, he is a good candidate. There could be ten better ones if someone would put the list together.
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    According to Martin Campbell, Henry Cavill could still be James Bond in the future. Cavill and Daniel Craig both tested for the role of Bond and it was Craig's performance in Layer Cake that convinced Campbell he should get the part.

Daniel Craig's 'Layer Cake' Role Got Him The 'James Bond' Job
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/09/daniel-craigs-layer-cake-james-bond_n_1658211.html
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    Moore Than wrote:
    According to Martin Campbell, Henry Cavill could still be James Bond in the future. Cavill and Daniel Craig both tested for the role of Bond and it was Craig's performance in Layer Cake that convinced Campbell he should get the part.

Daniel Craig's 'Layer Cake' Role Got Him The 'James Bond' Job
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/09/daniel-craigs-layer-cake-james-bond_n_1658211.html

Good post, superb find. Amusing that Mr Grumpy won the part with his charm ! Not a quality that even his most ardent admirers would claim for DC.
    Fascinating that it came down to a close call for between 22 year old and a 38 year old, both the Wrong age for a newbie 00 in my view, but that all seems a bit moot now. I assume that timeline has now caught up and Bond is a well seasoned operative.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    I doubt that Cavill will be Bond whether Superman is successful or not. This is no knock on Cavill. He might make a fantastic Bond. But if Superman is a flop, I doubt that EON is going to bet the farm on a guy who has already flopped. If SM is moderately successful, or very successful, he'll be too well known to be Bond. EON seems to prefer to cast relative unknowns as Bond so that when the audience sees them, they say, "There's James Bond."
    I think by the time Craig is ready to leave H Cavill will be very well known and
    much more expensive. So as Gala Brand pointed out a Much Cheaper "unknown"
    will probably get the role Of Bond.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    I think by the time Craig is ready to leave H Cavill will be very well known and
    much more expensive. So as Gala Brand pointed out a Much Cheaper "unknown"
    will probably get the role Of Bond.

I remain convinced that Cavill would be an excellent Bond...and while I'm happy for his career success getting the Superman gig, it probably does end his chance to be Bond. I'd love to be wrong about that, BTW.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Unless "Superman" does well enough to warrant a sequel or two IMO Cavill will most likely end up as a "B" type leading man or on American TV (this is not a knock on Cavill, it's just a tough business) much like Alex O'Laughlin.

If "Superman" tanks, by the time DC is ready to step down in about 4-5 years (based upon him doing 24 and 25) plus another two year hiatus as EON gears up to relaunch a post Craig Bond most people will have forgotten about "Superman" and Cavill could be in a good position to be Bond, both age and career wise....of course by that time we could be all over the next flavour of the month to be the next Bond :s
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent

I remain convinced that Cavill would be an excellent Bond...and while I'm happy for his career success getting the Superman gig, it probably does end his chance to be Bond. I'd love to be wrong about that, BTW.
    I believe you are not wrong.
    Jason Isaacs would be the next Bond, his years notwithstanding, if I had my way. If he were to say no, then Cavill would be a great Bond IMO, but type casting & decisions by committee (He's so... associated with that Superman flop now...) will kill that possibility, sadly.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS