Timothy Dalton as Bond Villian?

Q and MQ and M IrelandPosts: 171MI6 Agent
just thinking about it, he would be a good villian, a commanding presence who could no doubt be a menacing villian. What does everyone think?

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Dalton is a terrific actor and does a great villain...because of his still great looks and acting skills he would be perfect in the role of a popular member of the British government (maybe even a friend/confidant of "M") who is actually part of Quantum. M's relationship with this politition/secret Quantum member could bring about her end, either by death or disgrace. Actually another good role for Daltoncould the next "M". Dalton could be former high ranking British military with a connection to Bond from his old SBS/black ops days. A more aggressive, less politicised take on "M". That all being said, I think EON would avoid what many would consider "stunt casting" especially in light of how many other excellent British, European and American actors there are out there who could ablely fill such roles.
  • Q and MQ and M IrelandPosts: 171MI6 Agent
    i wouldnt rule out such a role for dalton considering it has happened quite alot before with the likes of joe don baker, charles gray and to a greater extent maud adams
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    But none of them were actually Bond.
  • Q and MQ and M IrelandPosts: 171MI6 Agent
    true true, but lets face it dalton does look different from 20odd years ago, in a way it could make up for him not making property of a lady. anyone agree?
  • DangerMouseDangerMouse Benfleet, EssexPosts: 235MI6 Agent
    Q and M wrote:
    true true, but lets face it dalton does look different from 20odd years ago, in a way it could make up for him not making property of a lady. anyone agree?

Yeah, I agree. Whether Dalton wants to do it or not is another thing to take into account.
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    I don't like the idea. Dalton may be a fine actor, but in my opinion, no one who has ever played Bond should play the villain in another Bond movie. Sorry.

Bond's role is to defeat the villain, which means that Dalton's character must either escape or be killed. There's a certain ... 'aura' associated with being Bond, and ... well, I'm finding this very hard to describe, but it's like the torch being passed from one Bond to another. It'll give ammunition to the Craig fans when the question is asked, 'which is the better Bond?', and their answer will be 'Craig, he beat Dalton in a fight'. To use a Star Trek analogy, it'd be like Picard burying Kirk ... it's wrong, and it shouldn't be done.

However, I'd be all for casting Dalton as M. I think he can pull off a weary old sailor with a weather-beaten face. He can pull off 'grumpy' as well as Bernard Lee, I'm sure.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • 007bondfan007bondfan Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    I don't like the idea. Dalton may be a fine actor, but in my opinion, no one who has ever played Bond should play the villain in another Bond movie. Sorry.

+1 I'd be thinking about that the entire time I was watching the movie
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Me, too! I don't like that idea at all. I felt the same way when some people used to toss out the notion of Sean Connery as a Bond villain.
    007bondfan wrote:

+1 I'd be thinking about that the entire time I was watching the movie
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    Yes I think that the problem it would come down to is that it would take you out of the movie. If he played a bad character it would be funny and if he played a good character people would start trying to create links between that character and Dalton's bond.
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    I think Tim looks great and he should be the next M.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Let him play Bond imo he looks younger and better than Craig.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) Funny superdaddy :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    Yes I think that the problem it would come down to is that it would take you out of the movie. If he played a bad character it would be funny and if he played a good character people would start trying to create links between that character and Dalton's bond.

I have to agree with your point there.

It was the same for me with the second X-files movie. Billy Conolly had the part of a pedofile catholic priest with supposed psychic abilities. And he played his part well.

But I just kept thinking: "Oh look, it's Billy Conolly! He always makes me laugh!"
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
  • spy009spy009 Posts: 57MI6 Agent
    He plays a good villan on TVs "CHUCK"...
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,970MI6 Agent
    Dalton was great as the meglomaniacal Time Lord Rassilon, making a guest appearance in David Tennant's two-part swan song as Doctor Who (BBC, Dec. 09 / Jan. 10). But because Dalton had also been (my favourite) Bond, and I was reminded of his performance as 007, I found it hard to feel alienated by his Time Lord villain in the way that I suppose one was meant to feel. For the same reason, although it's always a pleasure to see Dalton, I don't think he should be cast as a Bond villain.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,230MI6 Agent
    I agree having a former actor who played Bond appear as a villain would defiantly take me out the movie and also it reeks of stunt casting. As much as I like Tim Dalton, I don't think this would work.
    Shady Tree wrote:
    Dalton was great as the meglomaniacal Time Lord Rassilon, making a guest appearance in David Tennant's two-part swan song as Doctor Who (BBC, Dec. 09 / Jan. 10). But because Dalton had also been (my favourite) Bond, and I was reminded of his performance as 007, I found it hard to feel alienated by his Time Lord villain in the way that I suppose one was meant to feel. For the same reason, although it's always a pleasure to see Dalton, I don't think he should be cast as a Bond villain.

Have to agree he was great as Rassilon, but I felt the same way you did.

Exactly the point I was trying to make.
  • JADE66JADE66 Posts: 238MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Dalton is a terrific actor and does a great villain...because of his still great looks and acting skills he would be perfect in the role of a popular member of the British government (maybe even a friend/confidant of "M") who is actually part of Quantum. M's relationship with this politition/secret Quantum member could bring about her end, either by death or disgrace. Actually another good role for Daltoncould the next "M". Dalton could be former high ranking British military with a connection to Bond from his old SBS/black ops days. A more aggressive, less politicised take on "M". That all being said, I think EON would avoid what many would consider "stunt casting" especially in light of how many other excellent British, European and American actors there are out there who could ablely fill such roles.
    I agree 100%. It would be like casting a former Bond villain as Bond. (Think Sean Bean or Robert Carlyle.) There are a lot of great actors out there with the screen presence and good looks to do the job. Sam Neill, a former Bond contender, would be perfect. Gerard Butler or
    Ioan Gruffud would also be good choices. Just a thought.
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,230MI6 Agent
    I agree this idea feels to much like stunt casting, plus I doubt Dalton himself would be interested.
    JADE66 wrote:
    I agree 100%. It would be like casting a former Bond villain as Bond. (Think Sean Bean or Robert Carlyle.) There are a lot of great actors out there with the screen presence and good looks to do the job. Sam Neill, a former Bond contender, would be perfect. Gerard Butler or
    Ioan Gruffud would also be good choices. Just a thought.

while Ioan Gruffud is a great actor, I would then get the feeling of seeing Hornblower do Bond... ;)
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    spy009 wrote:
    He plays a good villan on TVs "CHUCK"...

This. He's already been a Bond-style villain, and a great one, at that!