Maybe a Rolex for Bond 23?

SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
edited February 2011 in Skyfall - Bond 23 (2012)
I noticed a new Rolex Submariner advertisement going around in a few magazines. The ad has a sentence on James Bond. It mentions Live and Let Die. I wish they used Goldfinger or Thunderball. Maybe there is a real possibility of Bond getting the Rolex again. Perhaps Omega's contract is about to end? Or Daniel Craig wearing his Rolex during the Quantum press campaign was the start of the change?

I would like to see Rolex make a Bond version of the Submariner, as I still prefer the Brosnan style Omega Seamaster currently. But not with 007 all over the dial like the special edition Seamasters. Maybe Rolex will make something in the style of the classic Connery version with PVD so we don't have to go to specialty shops to get it done. Or maybe Rolex is just saying that they are open to returning to Bond with the ad? We'll see, as I'm not really fond of the new Omega Seamaster that Daniel Craig wears in the films.
"Better late than never."

Comments

• Alec 006Alec 006 Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    I have been looking at the latest Rolex Sea Dweller, an awesome watch and a bit bigger than the 40mm Submariner at 44mm. Which suits me as I am used to the larger Seiko Kinetic Divers.

Anyway it got me to hoping for a decent deep sea scene in the next Bond movie, and that would be an ideal segue to introduce the Sea Dweller with its 3900m waterproof rating.
    -{
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    Alec 006 wrote:
    I have been looking at the latest Rolex Sea Dweller, an awesome watch and a bit bigger than the 40mm Submariner at 44mm. Which suits me as I am used to the larger Seiko Kinetic Divers.

Anyway it got me to hoping for a decent deep sea scene in the next Bond movie, and that would be an ideal segue to introduce the Sea Dweller with its 3900m waterproof rating.
    -{

Yeah, we haven't had an epic water battle or any large scale battle in a Bond film for a long time. I'm not fond of any of the modern Rolex designs. They are ok. But I would pick up another Seamaster first. If I did get a Rolex it would be highly customized after purchase.
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    I wear a twenty-year old sub and it's as good as new. I'd like to see Bond back with a Rolex, but the new models look a bit "chintsy" and shiny with Rolex written about thirty times round the face to shout a little too loudly IMO. I'm sure Rolex's new direction is aimed at the minor celeb/music stars who don't have shred of class, but enough cash to splash...
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • Alec 006Alec 006 Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    Perhaps you should have a look at the Sea Dweller as it bucks that "new trend" of writing Rolex all around the bevel on the inside surrounding the face. Which I agree in the GMT etc. does rather overstate things and lacks some class. I find the Sea Dweller refined enough yet strong enough to say who I am in terms of practicality, fashion, function and style. Still can't afford the damn thing yet. X-(
    A friend of mine wears the Sub, handed down from his father in law, and I have to agree with you, it keeps its looks.
    I wear a twenty-year old sub and it's as good as new. I'd like to see Bond back with a Rolex, but the new models look a bit "chintsy" and shiny with Rolex written about thirty times round the face to shout a little too loudly IMO. I'm sure Rolex's new direction is aimed at the minor celeb/music stars who don't have shred of class, but enough cash to splash...
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    No need to change it. I certainly couldn't justify a new one now with two kids/house/businesses etc. Looks good, doesn't date and has lasted me twenty years, twelve years service in three war zones, and five years all over the world in security/close protection and the past three years property developing (and a clumsey one at that!). I've had two services and a minor refurb in that time, and will have a new bezel, service and polish after the summer. Afterwhich, it will be like a new watch again... :D
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    I wish Bond's watch was made of an exotic strong material. Chanel is coming out with a titanium ceramic version of their diver's watch. Titanium is being used by other brands as well. There are the PVD versions of the Rolex Submariner and other models. It's not that stainless steel isn't still nice but maybe something more high-tech and new would be interesting. Plus, they could introduce the watch and new "Q" at the same time.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I liked it when Bond had a seiko, ( I can feel the backlash building ) it meant for a small cost you could have the same watch as Bond, and not just something like it.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    How about timex ?

Only kidding.....no backlash I liked the seikos at the time ESP the led version which meant you could time yourself coitus in the dark without being found out :D

I know rolex well and they are definitely interested in the bond brand....

Hence the advert u mention.....

For me, bond will always be Aston Martin and Rolex... -{

Beware imitations ...
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,287MI6 Agent
    Hey! I've got a Timex. Timex perpetual calendar, don't knock it, correct date on it no need for adjustment. :)

Craig is currently seen advertising Omega, with no Bond reference attached. Would be an about turn to revert to Rolex.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • tlotlo DenmarkPosts: 17MI6 Agent
    I think Craig want's to wear Rolex when he's playing Bond. He's a big Rolex collector himself.
  • 007007 ClassifiedPosts: 372MI6 Agent
    Hey! I've got a Timex. Timex perpetual calendar, don't knock it, correct date on it no need for adjustment. :)

Craig is currently seen advertising Omega, with no Bond reference attached. Would be an about turn to revert to Rolex.

Got a link to the Craig ad?
    Things I hate:
    1. People who hate things.
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
    So D Craig has a big Rolex collection, He must have a lot of time on his hands :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • 007007 ClassifiedPosts: 372MI6 Agent
    So D Craig has a big Rolex collection, He must have a lot of time on his hands :))

Of quartz he does...
    Things I hate:
    1. People who hate things.
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
    I think Bond could save alot of money, as a mate of mine back from holidays had a lovely "Bolex " watch and it was only a couple of quid. and is saves you having to wear a coloured wrist Band as it turns your Wrist green anyway. :))