Bond 23 needs a hollow volcano.

FatbondFatbond Posts: 10MI6 Agent
edited March 2011 in Skyfall - Bond 23 (2012)
I'm just throwing my 2 cents in that Bond 23 needs a big bad guy lair.

Comments

• Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    That would be nice, but they don't really know how to do that anymore. First, the directors almost always rely on closeups and medium shots today, so one never really gets much of a look at the set. Second, the sets today are more interested in being 'realistic" than being interesting. Things look industrial and lived in, perhaps, but not particularly evocative . . . so unless the director has a classic sense of vision, I'd prefer they not try. It's part of the tinny age we've lived in since the 1970s.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I love some Big sets, even if part had to be CGI'd. But sadly those days are Gone. Now it's all small time villains with small plans and of course the Gritty realism. No more skiing of Mountains or Spiral jumping cars across rivers. Now it will be plenty of Running across things, Scafolding/Roofs, with a few Bourne Type fights.and Bond hardly even gets his leg over anymore.
    I agree with Gassy Man most sets of late look very industrial or like clinical offices.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,287MI6 Agent
    EDIT: Many of those underground lairs sort of harked back to WW2 operations like the V2 missile. Harder to pass off these days, what with satellites everywhere. I suppose there's always Iran.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I know what you mean, NP. But I think at the moment other Movies have shown a little more Imagination the home of Tony Stark with his Lab, The batman series his new Bat cave, even the Yacht in Superman Returns, IMHO show some real design touches keeping the real world feeling but just giving them that little extra, In the same way K Adam would take a simple Office ( Osato's in YOLT) Yet design it in a way that makes it look totaly diffrent from a Boring Business Office. I'm probably explaining this very Badly but simply because a Building has to be a Utiltarian space, It dosen't have to be unimaginative in its Architecture.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,287MI6 Agent
    You do a Lot of Title Case Thunderpussy, What's With That? {:)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I can't help myself :)) Others have pointed it out before and I do try and stop but then before i know it I'm back to it, It's my typing version of the Kings speech :# At least i've stopped starting every word with a capitial. now to work on my spelling :))
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    So many of the Austin Powers type films have made fun of the volcano, spectre boardroom etc, I think it would be difficult to do something along these lines without looking silly.

The long Sienna tunnel at the beginning of QOS looked uncomfortably like the title sequence of "Get Smart!"
    I think the Idea of the quantum meeting in QOS was cool, to hide in plain sight. But just flick through any modern architectural mag and you'll see some fantastic designs, so mabey not a volcano HQ, but something with a little more imagination.
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Like the idea TP but the ken Adam versions are really high hurdles....

Note we've had the goldeneye lair hidden in a mountain, and the ice palace in dad both of which worked ( for me anyway..)

And of course QoS desert high tech observatory hotel - an amazing piece of engineering actually in existence!

Btw 7289 agree entirely about the get smart pts!

But the siena chase is a great piece of cinematography cutting in the horse race...I loved it.

This is a cool list of strange buildings which might inspire...

http://www.instantshift.com/2009/02/26/50-more-unusual-buildings-architecture/

My favs for Bond are The infosys building in India and obviously the City hall in London which has until recently been infested by a genuine bond baddie ! :D
    Great Link ke02eww, Fantastic Modern Architecture, I'm a big fan. -{
  • FatbondFatbond Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    In regard to Austin Powers making some things too silly; I would hope that the folks in charge of Bond could take some of that stuff back. Powers made fun over 10 years ago, I think it's time EON took back some of the "Bond-ish" things.
    To be clear, I really enjoy the Craig movies and I don't want silly stuff, but I want to be "wowed". There should be a way to do this in a new, balanced way in our modern day.