Comments

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I read a very similar article in the Sunday Times (whose content can't be accessed without paying a fee). There was also a quote in it from documentary film-maker Morgan Spurlock who was apparently outraged at the CR train scene in which Omega was mentioned. He said there is a 'special place in hell' for that outrageous example of product placement. Product placement bothers me when every cup of coffee or tin of food in every scene in a film has its label brazenly positioned, lighted and focused...but the mention of a high-end, quality item that is in keeping with the character - like Rolex, Rolls Royce, Tiffany, Louis Vuitton etc - strikes me as part of the story, part of the characterisation and part of the mood rather than cheap hucksterism. But...and this is a big but...the product placement must match the character and the storyline otherwise it is indeed just an advertisement.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Product placement is sadly now part of the movie industry,as they get more expensive to make producers need the extra cash. I don't really mind if it is done in a tasteful way, the omega watch line in CR was terrible. I hope we don't see Bond munching on a MacDonalds washed down with a coke.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    The Omega scene on the train in CR made me want to vomit. I still cringe now. I HATED the Ford scene as well, especially as Ford had their own ad running simultaneously on tv with the same music. In QoS he catwalked for Tom Ford, and I lost count of closeups on his watch. It's all a bit cringeworthy. CR had Jaguars and Range Rovers everywhere (at that time part of Ford as was Aston Martin). And yes, TP, I fear it won't be long before something as everyday mundane as a Big Mac or a can of Diet Coke makes it down Bond's throat. :#
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,287MI6 Agent
    What's annoying it the sense that Bond always has to have a car in his movies, always an Aston. It must be shoehorned in, you didn't get that with OHMSS, LALD and a good many others. Ok, not that many others. FRWL.

It also seems to rule out rivals. Would they have been allowed the yellow Rolls in GF if they'd had a deal with Aston at the time? Does the villains' car have to be the same sort of make?

We won't see Bond with a coke, it will be image appropriate I'm sure. They could surely use negative product placement? You know, villain gets in a rival car, it screws up.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Product placement is sadly now part of the movie industry,as they get more expensive to make producers need the extra cash. I don't really mind if it is done in a tasteful way, the omega watch line in CR was terrible. I hope we don't see Bond munching on a MacDonalds washed down with a coke.

I did not mind the Omega ref as I felt it was at least in context and said something about Bond. However I hope they remain within the bounds of good taste. I doubt if we need to worry much about Macdonalds, DC looks more like a KFC or Kebab type to me.:))
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,612Chief of Staff
    The Omega scene on the train in CR made me want to vomit.

That part didn't bother me at all....it's in the middle of one of the best scenes in the movie and is scripted very well. I actually thought it was very clever they way they did that...didn't feel 'shoe-horned' in just for the sake of it...so, if the product placement is done intelligently it shouldn't be too bad.
    YNWA 97
  • jamesdudejamesdude Posts: 18MI6 Agent
    Blofield : "Any last words?"
    Bond : "Yes...I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico"
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    Somebody has any news about the car company involved? I've heard rumours about BMW and Audi.
  • YouknowthenameYouknowthename Carver Media GroupPosts: 500MI6 Agent
    As far as I know, Aston Martin's still the car of choice.

Don't mind product placement if it's done properly, and the brands are fairly exclusive.
    No doubt Barbara and Michael understand and maintain that.
    A don't mean the Bond car, it will be an Aston for sure, but the company like Ford, which was providing the third-party vehicles in the 2 previous movies for example. BMW would be great as the cars have evolved from super-ugly (Bangle era) to super-beautiful (like the new 5 series). Audi would be also a nice idea, what about Bond driving an S5 in Toronto in the evening? :D
    MrZareba wrote:
    Audi would be also a nice idea, what about Bond driving an S5 in Toronto in the evening? :D

Or a SmartCar with twin Sidewinders and a GAU-8 Avenger cannon...for the villain with environmental concerns! :p
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    I am hoping we get some Victoria's Secret sleepwear product placement.
    Nah, I think Daniel Craig in La Perla was enough! :))
    I think he meant the girls, not Craig in Victoria's Secret underwear :D Especially that's a women connected brand XD
  • 007DAN007DAN CheshirePosts: 99MI6 Agent
    What ever products are linked to Bond 23, either way, it is going to cost us a fortune, i know QoS has cost me mega bucks so far and dred to think what Bond 23 is going to cost me!
    Of course you are
  • JayskiJayski Munich, GermanyPosts: 82MI6 Agent
    I really don't find the product placement so annoying unless its super obvious and detracts from the movie itself. The Omega scene didn't bother met one bit, it was Bond being himself, thats what he would say in that situation. Its all derived from the books in which Fleming used real products to position Bond within a certain lifestyle, so the product placement in movies is just an extension of this. You don't see people complaining about Bollinger being said in the movies past, so why should the Omega scene be any different? I hope to see more high end brands make an appearance in the movies of the future, expanding a great franchise and keeping us fans/collectors on our toes. Just my 2 cents. Cheers!