Die Another Day, best Bond song?

JJW95JJW95 Posts: 7MI6 Agent
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum and just wondered what people thought of Madonna’s outstanding theme song to “Die Another Day”. I really enjoyed the film, though (I don’t think many others did) and I found the opening sequence to be more engaging then any other Bond film. I think the song was one of the best things in the film along side Halle Berry. I thought the Villains were original and thought the Plot was very adventurous.

It’s a lot better then the constant rehash of an opening theme we see in most of the films. Would you guys agree that Madonna’s song is possibly the best Bond theme? :)

Comments

• DanielCraig007DanielCraig007 Posts: 588MI6 Agent
    I think "you know my name" is the best bond song in modern times.
    Die another day by madonna is alright. It fit well with the film DAD. Too bad the last third of the film sucked.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,610Chief of Staff
    JJW95 wrote:
    Hey guys, I’m new to the forum and just wondered what people thought of Madonna’s outstanding theme song to “Die Another Day”. I really enjoyed the film, though (I don’t think many others did) and I found the opening sequence to be more engaging then any other Bond film. I think the song was one of the best things in the film along side Halle Berry. I thought the Villains were original and thought the Plot was very adventurous.

It’s a lot better then the constant rehash of an opening theme we see in most of the films. Would you guys agree that Madonna’s song is possibly the best Bond theme? :)

Well....I don't think it's a great (or even good) song per say....but it does fit the opening credit sequence VERY well.....and, for me, that's its saving grace.

I don't agree with your other point either I'm afraid....Halle Berry is a total mess in this film....not entirely her fault as the film does suffer really badly in the second half...

Welcome to AJB though :))
    YNWA 97
  • JJW95JJW95 Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    Hi guys, thanks for commenting back. Big bond fan here, absolutely love Die Another Day, I think Madonna’s song is probably the reason I like it most though. Have you guys heard stuff from her new albums? She’s amazing, if only she could have sung “For Your Eyes Only” instead of Sheena Easton… What were they thinking? :#
  • Miss HavelockMiss Havelock Travelling. Again.Posts: 17MI6 Agent
    JJW95 wrote:
    Hi guys, thanks for commenting back. Big bond fan here, absolutely love Die Another Day, I think Madonna’s song is probably the reason I like it most though. Have you guys heard stuff from her new albums? She’s amazing, if only she could have sung “For Your Eyes Only” instead of Sheena Easton… What were they thinking? :#

Is this gentleman... for real? :o
    "I was never taught what femininity was. I learnt it- or rather I invented it- on my own. "

-Carole Bouquet
    Yes, yes I honestly think Sheena Easton was terrible, if they had gone with Madonna I would have really gone along with the whole plot a lot more. Especially seeing Madonna make a guest appearance in Die Another Day just made the scene even more dramatic. My best Bond themes probably go:

1. Die Another Day
    2. All Time High
    3. For Your Eyes Only
    4. The Spy Who Loved Me
    5. License to Kill
    Of course, I personally LOVE Madonna’s song in this, and yes my good friend, I am for real ☺ :x
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    Hmmm, well Madonna was a bit young to be doing FYEO, though admittedly only by a few years. She wouldn't have been in the frame to do it, she only came on the scene 1985 and even then her image was way off Bond film stuff, she evolved since of course.

I actually don't like it at all in the credits, it's okay at the ice palace though and by the end I've had enough of it. It's a monotonous song but works in some contexts.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
    I feel that the song DAD is very underrated. People are quick to say it's a bad song, but I think that it worked with the movie and it worked with the year it was made (2002). It's a decent song, but not the best.
    "Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE
    JJW95 wrote:
    Yes, yes I honestly think Sheena Easton was terrible, if they had gone with Madonna I would have really gone along with the whole plot a lot more.

What :o The choice of singer helps with your belief of a film ? :o Seriously ?

I'm no fan of Madonna (three or four good tracks only - the rest are over-hyped twaddle)....I fear she had better start carrying a bucket around with her....and it's long been said that she mimes at her gigs X-(

I much prefer Sheena Easton....and she's a darn sight sexier too ;)
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles how could you say there are only three or four good tracks?! It seems you guys really hating on Madonna. Oh and yes my good friend, I loathed Sheena’s song, it made my opinion of the film dramatically drop! Maybe Moore was just the worse Bond, but no, the music was terrible too.
    JJW95 wrote:
    Sir Miles how could you say there are only three or four good tracks?! It seems you guys really hating on Madonna. Oh and yes my good friend, I loathed Sheena’s song, it made my opinion of the film dramatically drop! Maybe Moore was just the worse Bond, but no, the music was terrible too.

Well...I say that because I'm not a fan of Madonna....and so far it's only I that has mentioned I don't care for Madonna...not "you guys"...and I'm still shocked that you consider the song so integral that it could ruin the whole film !

But if you like it - thats fine :)
    YNWA 97
    Hahahaha nah guys I was only Trolling, For Your Eyes Only is fantastic, Die Another Day by Madonna is terrible, my real top list of songs goes:

1. Goldfinger
    2. You Know My Name
    3. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    4. GoldenEye
    5. License To Kill

You guys rock!! Sorry for Trolling, I realised half way through I should stop Trolling such a good group of people :)
    Although in saying I was Trolling, I don't actually mind Die Another Day, it's a good film, just a tad... hectic...
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    Oh, you were trolling? Well, that makes it alright then.... 8-)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    at least it's not as bad as AWTD from QOS. :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."