Who Do You See As Deaver's Bond?

Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
Well I finished Carte Blanche and I could not help but picture Daniel Craig as Bond. This has not happened to me since I was a wee lad and pictured Connery, early on, as Fleming's Bond. However over time I came to see Fleming's Bond entirely different, sort of a cross between Lazenby and Moore although unarticulated at the time. I suspect my mind see's Craig because he made such a strong impact with his rendition of Bond even though Deaver's Bond's pedigree is somewhat different.

So, who do you see as Deaver's Bond?

DG
So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Comments

• Mr_IceMr_Ice USPosts: 137MI6 Agent
    At first, Craig definitely. I guess because it started off with action, and no messing around.
    After a while though, when you start to hear Bond's inner dialogue, his thoughts to himself
    and his own opinions, I started seeing the same guy I see when I read Fleming, or pretty close.
    I never see any of the movie guys usually. Except Bernard Lee, cuz he rocks.

I had trouble figuring out what he was wearing. With Fleming it was easy, blue suit, black tie, hates laces.
    You didn't have to remember anything else. -{
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    In Carte Blanche, especially near the End where Bond confronts the Villian in the ranch motel, Deaver's discription of the lighting etc reminded me of the Opening of CR, with Craig sitting in the darken office in the black overcoat. and I could easily imagine him as Bond in this Book.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,994Quartermasters
    Haven't read the book yet---it's next on my Kindle....avoiding all spoilers! Will report when done...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Mr_Ice wrote:
    At first, Craig definitely. I guess because it started off with action, and no messing around.
    After a while though, when you start to hear Bond's inner dialogue, his thoughts to himself
    and his own opinions, I started seeing the same guy I see when I read Fleming, or pretty close.
    I never see any of the movie guys usually. Except Bernard Lee, cuz he rocks.

I had trouble figuring out what he was wearing. With Fleming it was easy, blue suit, black tie, hates laces.
    You didn't have to remember anything else. -{

That's funny, I don't see Bernard Lee as M in any of the novels. Kind of strange, I admit since Lee owned the role. As for the Bond of Fleming novels I should clarify. I see Bond as a cross between Lazenby and Moore only in the looks department. The dark good looks of Lazenby with a slghtly less beefy Moore like frame and Moore's blue eyes. Very unlike the way George Almond depicted him in his sketch. In my opinion Almond's sketch favored Moore far too much. In terms of demeanor, I see Fleming's Bond totally different. Demeanor wise, I see Flemings Bond very hard edged and almost devoid of humor.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,763Chief of Staff
    Well I finished Carte Blanche and I could not help but picture Daniel Craig as Bond.

Same here....occasionally my perception of Craig as Bond didn't quite 'fit' a few bits in the book...but on the whole he did. Plus it was very easy to 'hear' Craig's voice when Bond spoke.....

I've always pictured Bernard Lee as M in the books too - guess I'm lazy that way :))
    YNWA 97
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    I see you DG, :D in them cargo pants of yours but with DCs head :s:D
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    I see you DG, :D in them cargo pants of yours but with DCs head :s:D

Too funny.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,323MI6 Agent
    Craig at times, then a slightly blander version of Fleming's Bond, odd thing is there's nothing whingey about Deaver's Bond, he doesn't have that darker, philosophical side. Everything is sort of tickety-boo in his world.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,780MI6 Agent
    I recently finished the Bond Short stories under the collective name of QoS (Far better than that film!) read Goldfinger and Moonraker a long time ago.

I see Flemmings Bond as physically resembling a young Sir Roger, say from his "The Saint" days, with the personality of Dalton's Bond. But I remember Mr Dalton saying once he had wanted to play the characters as per the books, so that is probably where that stems from. Its strange, but I think the post war feel of the books puts them in a different frame from the films for me. - Mind you, I have never read any novels of modern Bond.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    In Carte Blanche, especially near the End where Bond confronts the Villian in the ranch motel, Deaver's discription of the lighting etc reminded me of the Opening of CR, with Craig sitting in the darken office in the black overcoat. and I could easily imagine him as Bond in this Book.

I felt that the description was deliberate in favouring an inclination to see DC as Bond
    as Deaver very deliberately capped Bonds height at 6ft and he is also Described as ' kinda skinny' by one character,which is a possible nod to DC's less overblown/pumped up look in QOS.
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    I specifically tried not to imagine Craig in the role, simply because the Bond I always imagined in Fleming's novel was something like this: http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/literary/cover_art/from_russia_with_love/pan1.jpg
    and I wanted some continuity. However, I couldn't help it - Deaver's Bond was Craig for me from start to finish. Whether that was anything to do with Deaver's portrayal or just that Craig has made such a strong impression on me, who knows!
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    The Expectant One! Long time no see!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    The Expectant One! Long time no see!

Indeed! Life has been very busy what with an acting course last year and beginning university this year. Carte Blanche was my first foray back into the Bond world since the disappointing QoS, and there was simply no way I could finish the book without returning to AJB to speak my mind! I do hope all has been well in my absence...
    I specifically tried not to imagine Craig in the role, simply because the Bond I always imagined in Fleming's novel was something like this: http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/literary/cover_art/from_russia_with_love/pan1.jpg
    and I wanted some continuity. However, I couldn't help it - Deaver's Bond was Craig for me from start to finish. Whether that was anything to do with Deaver's portrayal or just that Craig has made such a strong impression on me, who knows!

Always loved that cover and the neat shoulder holster. Yeah, I know, it was hard not to envision Craig as Deaver's Bond. Welcome back! I hope you can stick around.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Yeah, that's one of my faves, seems to anticipate Connery very well.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Yeah, that's one of my faves, seems to anticipate Connery very well.

Always looks like Dalton to me.
    You must give me the name of your occulist... :D

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • GaddGeneGaddGaddGeneGadd Posts: 189MI6 Agent
    In what universe is Daniel Craig 6 ft tall :))
    As I have stated in other posts I always view the fictional Bond as a character unto himself. I am reading one of the Benson novels currently and there was one phrase where I did indeed envision Craig as Bond. Fleming's description of Bond around 6 ft, dark hair, blue eyes and a light heavyweight boxer reminds me of a description of Brosnan, but with a much harder edge, per se Dalton. But Fleming also says Bond looked like the singer Hogey Charmicheal and if you look at a picture of him you will indeed notice a resemblance to Craig with the rounded, craggy sort of face and bulbous nose. I also just watched ohmss and I thought Lazenby resembled the book Bond as well with his build, demeanor and relationship with M. So I guess they all remind me of the book Bond, but none of them do. Though Ironic, I never ever picture Sir Sean or Sir Roger in the books, go figure B-) As for Benard Lee, I do indeed picture him as Sir Miles. I must say it sure is fun to be able to post all my built up Bond passions with other like minded folks. I toast a Dom 53 to all of you, cheers. Can't wait for # 23 ( or 25 lol )