Bond and Food

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think this might be One of Bonds Deep dark secrets, Sure he eats what he wants, then it's a quick trip to the Bathroom. :v
    "The spy who drives the big porcelain Bus " :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 1,024MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    Oysters - one of my favourites - served freshly shucked - with either a splash of Tabasco, or horseradish - with a lovely cold beer...

Dear God, no! Why would you splash something with such a delicate taste with Tabasco or horse radish?

Just a slight drop of fresh lemon juice is quite enough if the oyesters are fresh. Drinks-vise with oysters I would prefer a nice bottle of chilled rosé or some light belgian champagne beer (méthode originale) like Malheure Bière Brut or with a nice wheat beer.
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    Tabasco and Horse radish, sounds Like hot stuff, But then again it is Lexi :v
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Love this one - just a good quality pesto (or make one by grinding basil, parsley, olive oil, garlic, roasted pine nuts, grated parmesan cheese and some lemon rind) and put a teaspoonful over the oysters, still in the shell, before placing for 90 seconds under a very hot grill.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    Speaking of delicasies - a friend brought this back from Iceland - Hákarl. It is shark, either done two ways - first is curing and airdrying for about six months, or more traditionally - salted, then buried in the ground for two years to freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw. It was about a pound in weight and vacuum packed. We opened it with my friend grinning like an idiot (he knew what was coming). First it smelt like old man's pissy pants, or unwashed urinals. I should have left it there, because when I eventually tasted it, it tasted like a mixture of the fishiest fish on this planet, the smelliest cheese, and the pissiest old man's pants, soaked in more stale piss, and dunked in it once more for good measure...
    I've done army survival courses, and even a bit of further bushcraft and eaten the eyes out of raw trout, still wiggling worms in a rook-egg omelete, raw trout liver, rabbit's organs - all the crap they get you to do, and I had a good laugh doing it, but never felt the need to urge. However, this shark/piss combo made me heave myself inside out. I would gladly eat a whole dog turd than a sliver of that stuff again... :#
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    TSA, do you know surströmming from Sweden?

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surströmming[/url]

the shark stuff, that you had sounds similar with one difference: The shark has been frozen previously - surströmming is not!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited August 2011
    Yes!

Good quality pesto is one of my favourite things. Take a freshly baked dinner roll, slice it in half, put on some butter then a few slices of parma ham the a poached egg an top it off with a spoonfull of good pesto. :p

I remember one party which had a participant turn up with a large plastic bag full of fresh oysters, not thinking clearly I started to open them with the folder I had on me that day. My wife later told me she was very surprised to see that the knife did not slip once, even though I was purdy intoxicated indeed. After 50 oysters my hands were just raw, I'd eaten plenty of oysters and my knife had gone to it's grave with a whimper.

It was kind pity because it was a nice knife too, but I haven't had a moment of regret afterwards :))
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    But have you tried it BBQ'D yet. TSA, it might make all the difference :))
    Ah! Got myself a £19 homebase sale special! Charcoal included! :))

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Speaking of delicasies - a friend brought this back from Iceland - Hákarl. It is shark, either done two ways - first is curing and airdrying for about six months, or more traditionally - salted, then buried in the ground for two years to freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw. It was about a pound in weight and vacuum packed. We opened it with my friend grinning like an idiot (he knew what was coming). First it smelt like old man's pissy pants, or unwashed urinals. I should have left it there, because when I eventually tasted it, it tasted like a mixture of the fishiest fish on this planet, the smelliest cheese, and the pissiest old man's pants, soaked in more stale piss, and dunked in it once more for good measure...
    I've done army survival courses, and even a bit of further bushcraft and eaten the eyes out of raw trout, still wiggling worms in a rook-egg omelete, raw trout liver, rabbit's organs - all the crap they get you to do, and I had a good laugh doing it, but never felt the need to urge. However, this shark/piss combo made me heave myself inside out. I would gladly eat a whole dog turd than a sliver of that stuff again... :#
    Can't beat a good worm omelette.
    Here's a great recipe for worms. :v

http://youtu.be/PjkPav3En9s

They' just protein after all.
    In a graveyard one worm said to the other "lets go and make love in Dead Ernest" :D
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    0073 wrote:
    Lexi wrote:
    Oysters - one of my favourites - served freshly shucked - with either a splash of Tabasco, or horseradish - with a lovely cold beer...

Dear God, no! Why would you splash something with such a delicate taste with Tabasco or horse radish?

Just a slight drop of fresh lemon juice is quite enough if the oyesters are fresh. Drinks-vise with oysters I would prefer a nice bottle of chilled rosé or some light belgian champagne beer (méthode originale) like Malheure Bière Brut or with a nice wheat beer.

All I can say is, don't knock it till you've tried it.

Fish goes with strong flavours... and lemon juice IMO is just as distracting as tabasco.... Oysters are slightly salty - a taste of the sea, but it's their texture that is of interest. Adding a bit of a kick to that just adds to the pleasure... ;)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Tabasco and Horse radish, sounds Like hot stuff, But then again it is Lexi :v

;% B-) -{
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Lexi wrote:
    All I can say is, don't knock it till you've tried it.

Fish goes with strong flavours... and lemon juice IMO is just as distracting as tabasco.... Oysters are slightly salty - a taste of the sea, but it's their texture that is of interest. Adding a bit of a kick to that just adds to the pleasure... ;)

Does it count, if I'm familiar with both Tabasco and oysters? I actually habitually use Tabasco on the cafeteria food at work, because it is usually either tastless or tastes so bad, that the taste has to be covered somehow.

But the main difference here is, that while you are absolutely right when you say that the lemon has a strong taste, it works differently from Tabasco. Tabasco has the tendency of any capsaic family of spice to overwhelm or desensitize your palate, and makes you unable to pick the more subtle tastes of the food you are eating.

Lemon does not. Besides, I also stated that a mere drop of lemon is needed.

But, you are right that I have to look at broader possibilities than just what I allready know. Therefore, just for you Lexi :x , I promise: the next time I'm in New York I shall visit the Oyster Bar at the Grand Central and try some of the diffrent variations on the theme, including horse radish and tabasco.
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • JADE66JADE66 Posts: 238MI6 Agent
    I've had the spaghetti Bolognese with plenty of chopped garlic, crab legs, although I prefer the king crab to the stone crab Bond enjoys in Goldfinger. I've had kobe beef as well. All excellent. Some of the dishes in the Bond films I can't even pronounce, like the meal Bond orders when he's meeting with Kristatos in FYEO. Something something prawns, something something salad. And you can just forget the sheep's eyes from Octopussy. No thank you. I prefer simpler fare. -{
    0073 wrote:

But, you are right that I have to look at broader possibilities than just what I allready know. Therefore, just for you Lexi :x , I promise: the next time I'm in New York I shall visit the Oyster Bar at the Grand Central and try some of the diffrent variations on the theme, including horse radish and tabasco.

-{

Please do.... although, only a splash is needed.... and I think you will be surprised by the result.
    The same with horseradish.... just a dash... it was how I first tried them, in the Florida Keys... at Alonzo's oyster bar.

Please let me know what you think.... :D
    In the Fleming novels Bond eats scrambled eggs rather a lot. Done well, this is quite a decadent eating experience especially if eaten with paper-thin smoked salmon and a little caviar... Good bacon is just as good though!

Here's how I do mine for two: 5 whole free-range eggs plus one egg yolk (if you can, get them from a farm-shop/butchers etc - supermarket free range are no different to cage eggs), 3oz of salted butter. Use a copper bottomed pan if you can because it won't heat too quickly, drop in the butter and heat gently - when almost melted crack in the eggs and stir gently. Keep the mix moving, taking the pan off the heat and stirring to control the rate it is starting to set at - the copper bottomed pan will hold a lot of heat and cook with residual heat. Try them really runny and smooth. Serve on thick slices of toasted bloomer, or anything that will remain crispy ie olive oil bread, ciabatta etc.

Many people add milk or cream, but if you use rich butter and slightly under cook the eggs it will be creamy and have more flavour.

In the Fleming novels Bond eats scrambled eggs rather a lot. Done well, this is quite a decadent eating experience especially if eaten with paper-thin smoked salmon and a little caviar... Good bacon is just as good though!

Here's how I do mine for two: 5 whole free-range eggs plus one egg yolk (if you can, get them from a farm-shop/butchers etc - supermarket free range are no different to cage eggs), 3oz of salted butter. Use a copper bottomed pan if you can because it won't heat too quickly, drop in the butter and heat gently - when almost melted crack in the eggs and stir gently. Keep the mix moving, taking the pan off the heat and stirring to control the rate it is starting to set at - the copper bottomed pan will hold a lot of heat and cook with residual heat. Try them really runny and smooth. Serve on thick slices of toasted bloomer, or anything that will remain crispy ie olive oil bread, ciabatta etc.

Many people add milk or cream, but if you use rich butter and slightly under cook the eggs it will be creamy and have more flavour.

Totally agree.... it's all in the timing. Taking the eggs off the heat, before they are cooked through is the key. They will keep cooking when removed from the heat, and it's all too easy to overcook them... making them too dry - and like you said, a much creamier scrambled egg is achieved without milk/cream.

Seasoning well is also a must....
    I too love scrambled egges, just with a little milk and butter. As you say Lexi I like them before they get too dry. -{
    Oooh scrambled eggs :p

I make mine in a steel bowl over a pot of boiling water. For 1 person I break 3-4 eggs into a bowl, then add a teaspoon of water for each egg, then season the mixture with white pepper and salt. Then I mix the eggs gently with a fork. I put the steel bowl over the pot of boiling water and throw a good sized chunk of butter into the bowl, when it has melted I pour in the egg mixture. Gently whisking untill it is firm but moist.

Ready to go. Oh and don't ask about the water because I don't know. It is my grand ma's recipe and she had a almost 60+ years of experience in the restaurant world, so I thought it better not to ask why....
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    edited August 2011
    Ahhhhhhh. Food. Simple food prepared well. That's what Fleming (Bond) preferred, as I always have myself. The same with drink. I've eaten in expensive restaurants (including some Fleming enjoyed) and I've eaten in very spartan diners. What I figured out is that everyone has their own taste (surprise suprise) and I've never had a problem with people who find they dislike the taste of even quality caviar or liquor yet will drool over the idea of their next McDonalds cheeseburger. Now there is, of course, many who have not had there palates firmly educated to actual "quality" versions of foods they have had mediocre versions of - I WOULD NOT go near an anchovie when I was young, but when I finally had some right out of the water and into the pan and into my mouth, I was shocked at how good they were -same with truffles, caviar, etc.. There are many who have have a sort of lingering post traumatic taste experience in their past and won't go near that food again even though they had actually only experienced a badly prepared version of the dish or one of low quality. There are also those who just don't like the flavor of a food or drink no matter how high or fresh the quality. So what?
    I feel like one of the lucky ones who enjoy a roast beef or ham sandwich or scrambled eggs as well as I enjoy quality caviar or a cup of greek yogurt you can stand a spoon up in (the only good kind for me, esepcially with a little honey and fresh apricots - yum..). Drink? I enjoy a cool glass of water, ice tea or lemonade as much as I do a pint of Guiness or Newcastle or a ten dollar California wine or a glass of Taittinger. It depends on what I'm eating or where I'm eating.
    Fleming enjoyed all the meals he put in his books, and he put them in because most in post war Britain were still suffering and dealing with mediocre food and bombed out buildings. The travel and taste experiences he shoveled into the plots only helped cement the fantasies into reality and titilated the tastebuds of the average reader who could not afford them (or who may have never afforded) such luxuries.
    As to you, Thunderpussy, my answer is simply this. It is true you may be missing out on some wonderful food because either it is beyond your budget (been there and in some cases, I'm still there), or even if offered it, your not sure you'd like it. However, I believe currys and pies are very tasty dishes as well and there are those who dine on nothing but five star cuisine - have probably never tried some of the dishes you eat, but would probably also love them if they did and probably as much as the 50 £ meal they just had. I don't know if you aware of the chef Anthony Bourdain or have ever read his books or seen his travel shows on TV, but one of the reasons I enjoy his travels is that he also loves five star dishes as much as he does some simple peasant food he's had prepared for him by a tribe in a far away jungle. I also think that if he and Fleming had lived in the same time frame and Fleming could have know him, he would have loved his character and his thoughts on travel and food. There's good food and there's bad food - it depends on one's tastes sometimes - sometimes one's finances, but always how fresh it is and how well it's prepared. I would be shocked to find someone who would prefer a frozen meat pie over a fresh baked one.
    Anthony Bourdain's series is good - and in most cases revolves around so called peasant foods. But that is the key to good food - the masses are never wrong. Paella from spain, bolognaise from Italy, Coq-au-vin from France, English fish & chips, German sausage with saurcraut - these are all basic dishes that when prepared well can't be beaten, and yet each of these countries are laden with game and prime farm stock that the wealthier people eat cooked to a high standard by Michelin starred chefs, but even so these peasant dishes are cooked and eaten about 10,000% more!

Good food is good food, even if it's only a simple soup and bread. If it's well made it should taste like a feast. :D
    Lexi - Veal has been farmed differently in Britain for over ten years but is still tarnished with the crated veal thing. In fact, veal is now only slaughtered at six months, the exact same for lamb and pork, but nobody seems to care so much about those two.

I watched a programme the other day... where they showed how veal is now raised in the UK. I stand corrected... you are in fact correct... (not that I didn't believe you or anything :)) ) but I suppose the word is just taking time to filter through...

Can't wait to taste a bit of that.... I've been missing out for far too long :))
    So it would be OK for me to now say at the end of a post,

"Tank-you, I'm here all week. Try the Veal " :))
    I know Bond hated Tea, But I did try some Earl Grey ( As Cpt Pickard is always drikning it) ant it's Bloody awful :( I'll stick to the tea Bags from now on. :))
    I know Bond hated Tea, But I did try some Earl Grey ( As Cpt Pickard is always drikning it) ant it's Bloody awful :( I'll stick to the tea Bags from now on. :))

Too flowery for you TP? :)) Can't say I'm surprised... it is a required taste... just like Lapsang Souchong... one of my favs. :D

Although you can't beat a good cup of PG... nice and strong, with a good glug of milk. ;)
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    Lapsang Souchong is the only tea I can stand to drink. Pity it's so hard to find around here.
    I'm sticking to good old PG Tips, wish they'd bring the Monkey ads Back. :))
    http://youtu.be/FtWAC5HJsKs
    This is how it should be ordered. :D
    http://youtu.be/R2IJdfxWtPM