Felix Leiter May Not Be Back For Bond 23

barracudabarracuda CataloniaPosts: 97MI6 Agent
Jeffrey Wright hasn't been contacted by EON Productions regarding Bond 23 making it unlikely for Felix Leiter to appear in Bond 23, according to reports.
'Yes, dammit, I said "was". The bitch is dead now.'
The James Bond Dossier | SPECTRE | Q-Branch James Bond Podcast

Comments

• Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    I would have enjoyed another part from him, but I hated his stereotypical partner in QoS so I hope if we see him it is more of him on an assignment, not him doing American deal work.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    As Leiter got Beam's job at the end of QOS, He'd be unlikley to be in Bond 23.Unless they end up back in South America.
    Which is sad as I'd of liked to see him working with Bond on a mission, as an Equal agent and not just a Liaison Officer for the Americans. As IMNO he was under used in QOS.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    Yeah he was kinda under used in QOS. They should've just left him out altogether and save him for another film.
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    Mr Beech wrote:
    I would have enjoyed another part from him, but I hated his stereotypical partner in QoS so I hope if we see him it is more of him on an assignment, not him doing American deal work.

Leiter's boss in QoS is probably one of the most annoying characters ever in a Bond movie. I would hope that Leiter is in Bond 23. If he isn't I guess they are moving away from the Quantum storyline for now. I kind of feel like this whole Bond reboot is a bit of a mess now. They didn't give it the necessary thought that was needed.
    "Better late than never."
  • barracudabarracuda CataloniaPosts: 97MI6 Agent
    As IMNO he was under used in QOS.
    I agree, he was way underused in QoS, better to not have him in Bond 23.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,812MI6 Agent
    Leiter is the kind of character who doesn't need to be in every film, so it's ok. If Moneypenny returns in this one it more than makes up for his absense. I don't think quantum is overused. My feeling is more that we just started to know the organisation by now. Still, there is no reason to overdo it; Dr no and Rosa Klebb worked for SPECTRE, but both are in standalone films.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Leiter has always been "underused". I think because the producers see him as competetion to James Bond, so in the past they have on ocassion deliberately cast frumps and dorps to play the part.

Wright is a great asset, and I would hope they use him again.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Yeah, was he picked because he's an actor shorter than Craig? :)

I never really liked his portrayal. Put it down to bad writing, imo.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • GaddGeneGaddGaddGeneGadd Posts: 189MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:
    Leiter has always been "underused". I think because the producers see him as competetion to James Bond, so in the past they have on ocassion deliberately cast frumps and dorps to play the part.

Good point, in Dr No, Jack Lords portrayal of Leiter on screen matches up well with Connery. Lord, who would go on to play the iconic character of Steve McGarret on Hawaii 5 0, had a presence imo that matched up well with Connery. He did not come off on screen as a Bond flunky, like so many future Leiters in the series would become. I think Wright's Leiter brings the character back to equal footing with Bond. I am sure he will be back in future installments. :v
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I hope Wright returns as Leiter in the future. I agree that his Felix came across as more than a mere sidekick for Bond, and I feel that makes for a much more interesting dynamic between the characters.
    7289 wrote:

Good point, in Dr No, Jack Lords portrayal of Leiter on screen matches up well with Connery. Lord, who would go on to play the iconic character of Steve McGarret on Hawaii 5 0, had a presence imo that matched up well with Connery. He did not come off on screen as a Bond flunky, like so many future Leiters in the series would become. I think Wright's Leiter brings the character back to equal footing with Bond. I am sure he will be back in future installments. :v
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Do you take your name from the CR and QoS blackleiter or the Bernie Casey one in NSNA? :)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I would even go so far as to say that Bond & Leiter should "team up" for an action sequence in a coming Bond film. Craig and Wright have now done a number of films together and seem to have good on screen "chemistry".

I would add, that while Jack Lord's Leiter was real solid - and a Bond equal, not a toady - Wright is the first Leiter allowed a little development as a serious charecter.

I don't like it when parts are cast out of "political correctness" but a black Felix actually makes sense, given his backstory as provided by Fleming. A Marine Officer, reporter, jazz lover & Harlem expert - that really could all come together with an actor like Jeffrey Wright. If only we could get some of that backstory into a film, and work in a nice gunbattle or car chase.

I was appalled when EON wanted to do a "Jinx" spinoff..... They should now consider a Leiter spinoff!!!!
    It was an homage to Bernie Casey, who I enjoyed quite a bit in NSNA. Who would have thought at the time that there would be a Black Felix Leiter in an "official" Bond film? Great move, EON!
    Do you take your name from the CR and QoS blackleiter or the Bernie Casey one in NSNA? :)
    I think you're spot on about having a Black Felix. I hope EON doesn't blow it by leaving him out of future films instead of developing his role as you have suggested.
    7289 wrote:
    I would even go so far as to say that Bond & Leiter should "team up" for an action sequence in a coming Bond film. Craig and Wright have now done a number of films together and seem to have good on screen "chemistry".

I would add, that while Jack Lord's Leiter was real solid - and a Bond equal, not a toady - Wright is the first Leiter allowed a little development as a serious charecter.

I don't like it when parts are cast out of "political correctness" but a black Felix actually makes sense, given his backstory as provided by Fleming. A Marine Officer, reporter, jazz lover & Harlem expert - that really could all come together with an actor like Jeffrey Wright. If only we could get some of that backstory into a film, and work in a nice gunbattle or car chase.

I was appalled when EON wanted to do a "Jinx" spinoff..... They should now consider a Leiter spinoff!!!!
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Fleming described Felix as a sandy haired texan so I don't see how it makes that much sense to have a black Felix. I always thought Rick Van Nutter resembled Flemings Felix closest in terms of looks.
    Not trying to cause an argument but I see very little of Flemings character in Wrights portrayal yet I loved Colin Salmons character so Iwould much rather Wright was a new cia liason officer instead of him plying Felix.
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    People barely noticed the new Leiter was black. Nobody I know even commented. He was just a good actor playing a good part. I don't see him as Bond's physical equal, but he stands up well in all areas. Jack Lord was by far the best up to now, he was as Leiter was in Fleming's novels - an American CIA's version of Bond. I feel they didn't want to upstage Bond, or have anyone close to his prowess - hence Goldfinger's and DAF's plodding cop/gumshoe efforts.

As for no Leiter in this outing - so what? Bring him in as a familiar treat to Bond fans in the next. Lose M, and get Moneypenny or Q in to keep it fresh.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    superdaddy wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Fleming described Felix as a sandy haired texan so I don't see how it makes that much sense to have a black Felix.
    C'mon a brother can't get his hair did with some highlights?
    HA!
    77007 wrote:
    superdaddy wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Fleming described Felix as a sandy haired texan so I don't see how it makes that much sense to have a black Felix.
    C'mon a brother can't get his hair did with some highlights?
    People barely noticed the new Leiter was black. Nobody I know even commented. He was just a good actor playing a good part. I don't see him as Bond's physical equal, but he stands up well in all areas. Jack Lord was by far the best up to now, he was as Leiter was in Fleming's novels - an American CIA's version of Bond. I feel they didn't want to upstage Bond, or have anyone close to his prowess - hence Goldfinger's and DAF's plodding cop/gumshoe efforts.

As for no Leiter in this outing - so what? Bring him in as a familiar treat to Bond fans in the next. Lose M, and get Moneypenny or Q in to keep it fresh.

LOSE M?!

I hope Dench stays at least as long as Craig. After that, a new round makes sense, but I want her to stay!
    Me too!
    Mr Beech wrote:

LOSE M?!

I hope Dench stays at least as long as Craig. After that, a new round makes sense, but I want her to stay!
    "Correct me if I'm wrong but Fleming described Felix as a sandy haired texan so I don't see how it makes that much sense to have a black Felix."

Fleming's Felix was discribed as having a topmop of "sandy" hair.

With all the liberties the EON crowd has taken with the Bond canon, Wright as Leiter (or Bernie Casey) seems OK to me.

Leiter was a critical charecter in some of the books, less so "M" and Moneypenny. I can live with Dench if her part is written better ( I think her scenes for QOS were shot early and were poorly edited - they did not blend well with the rest of the film. ) But we can do without the overly pretty, sexy talking Miss Moneypenny - whose only purpose is to slobber over Bond -yuck!!

Pretty girls? Bond films should be well stocked. But Moneypenny is out of date. These days she'd be in court filing a lawsuit against oo7 for harassment - but then MI6 is in the UK and you Brits probably don't file harassment actions like we do in the States!
    Well, I read that when filming NSNA the team had to comb Fleming's novel TB to check there were no references to Felix being black, which seems hard to believe really, bearing in mind other liberties with the film. At one point however they weren't sure they could use Moneypenny, it's like EON really had them over a barrel.

As for the new black Felix, well it's not so much skin colour as his whole disposition, as I think superdaddy is referring to, which is not like the guy in the books. We do run into a problem in that the book Leiter has more personality than the book Bond, and while Craig has the dour demeanour that the book Bond has, that doesn't mean EON want Felix to overshadow him. I'd have in mind a lean, whip smart black guy like the young Eddie Murphy to be Felix, but of course Murphy was the star of 48 Hrs, not Nick Nolte and with good reason. Maybe Cuba Gooding Jnr as Felix, or is he too old? I personally don't find Jeffery Wright an appealing cinematic presence though I did like his turn in Source Code.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Nap,

I think the reason Wright doesn't "ring your bell" as Leiter is more a function of the way he is written - rather than a reflection of the actor's skill. Up to now he always been presented in situations that don't really allow for alot of personality to show.
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Me too!
    Mr Beech wrote:

LOSE M?!

I liked Judi Dench's M through the Brosnan tenure, and she was good in CR - but talk about a nag in QOS!
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Me too!
    Mr Beech wrote:

LOSE M?!

I liked Judi Dench's M through the Brosnan tenure, and she was good in CR - but talk about a nag in QOS!

I have to agree with you SA - she kinda got it all a bit wrong.... and the 'mother' parallel was indeed very clear to see... :))

Let's hope she is not like that in the next one! :D
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    There's usually a tug-of-war with how permissive or restrictive M can be. We've seen the reins tightened for quite a bit in the last four films. It'd be nice to see her let Bond be Bond for once.

I have no real opinion on Leiter. He's been a good addition in the last two. If his services are called for in Bond 23, I'd be happy to see him again. It's not going to kill the movie for me though if he's absent. Most of my favorite Bond films don't have Felix in them.
    Keep in mind that she is supposed to still be in the early stages of working with Bond in CR and QoS. As she gets to know him I am sure his behavior will be less shocking and problematic to her.
  • barracudabarracuda CataloniaPosts: 97MI6 Agent
    Agent Wade wrote:
    There's usually a tug-of-war with how permissive or restrictive M can be. We've seen the reins tightened for quite a bit in the last four films. It'd be nice to see her let Bond be Bond for once.

I have no real opinion on Leiter. He's been a good addition in the last two. If his services are called for in Bond 23, I'd be happy to see him again. It's not going to kill the movie for me though if he's absent. Most of my favorite Bond films don't have Felix in them.

I agree completely, she should brief him, send him on his mission and that's it. Why would she operate in the field?