Albert Finney Joins Cast for B23

Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
For their eyes only: Sam Mendes shakes up his Bond cast with a top secret

'Sam Mendes wanted to spring a surprise on his high-calibre cast gathered at Pinewood studios for a script reading of the latest 007 adventure.

As the likes of Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Javier Bardem and Ralph Fiennes sat leafing through their scripts, each stamped ‘Highly Confidential’, with every page watermarked and coded, they must all have been wondering: who on earth could the Oscar-winning director be bringing in who might leave them shaken and (pleasantly) stirred?
Try Albert Finney, a legendary actor, revered by his peers and about to make his Bond debut at the age of 75.

An executive close to the production told me: ‘It was one of those fabulous “This can’t get any better!” moments because Mendes has upped the game by bringing in Bardem and Fiennes — and they’ve already got Dame Judi Dench.
‘So you think, well, who else can they get to make this any classier?’
Finney, who has been in remission from cancer of the prostate for several years, will play a Foreign Office mandarin with powers over the Secret Intelligence Service, described to me as a reasonably big role and full of class.
The part probably makes him M’s boss, though she — as played by Judi — might not see it that way.

The thespians were joined at the studio by Naomie Harris who, as revealed here, will play Miss Moneypenny; Berenice Marlohe as the requisite femme fatale (are we past using the term ‘Bond girl’ in the 21st century?) and Rory Kinnear, who will play M’s chief of staff, Bill Tanner.
He will have more to do in this movie than when he played Tanner in Quantum Of Solace.
Ben Whishaw and Helen McCrory have as yet unspecified roles.
John LOGAN, who wrote Gladiator and who has been winning acclaim for his sublime script for the forthcoming film Coriolanus, has long toiled over the Bond 23 script.
And now Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, keepers of the Bond movie flame, have asked him to be involved in writing other screenplays based on Ian Fleming’s famous espionage officer.
Rehearsals and camera tests continue this week, and next week shooting will begin on Bond 23, which will be released next autumn on the 50th anniversary of the first Bond film, Dr No.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2054492/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-For-eyes--Sam-Mendes-shakes-Bond-cast-secret.html#ixzz1c4lvAHNQ

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,298MI6 Agent
    Nice scoop! Ta Lady Rose, though it does imply you're a Daily Hate reader, we'll let that pass.

Then again.... wasn't Finney in the last Bourne film? It's Bourne all over again! :#

Of course, Finney was originally mooted for the Carver role in TND.

Edit: Oh, hang on, he's a Foreign Office bod.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Nice scoop! Ta Lady Rose, though it does imply you're a Daily Hate reader, we'll let that pass.

;% ;% ;%
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Well, if the casting is true, then it already is a move in the right direction (an area where QoS was certainly lacking IMO). Not entirely convinced that Logan has the right stuff for a Bond script, but we'll see.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Sounds promising; though I'm sure certain members--I dunno: someone whose username rhymes with "Gapoleon Blural"-- will find something here to carp about. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I wasn't carping, I was mock-carping.

That said, I can't say having A-grade actors in the film need make any difference per se. It's not like once you break the film down into parts there will be any great emotional development going on from them. I mean, Tim Piggott-Smith was a fairly big name actor, but his role as the Foreign Sec in QoS, well, it could have been anyone in the role really. And Fiennes, well, he's also been in Harry Potter, not just adult-themed flicks like Schindler's and Hurt Locker. That said, DeNiro in Untouchables, well, that's a scene-stealing role from a big name actor, so it can work.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,816MI6 Agent
    Nice scoop! .

Thanks! :))
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    This sounds fun and pretty good. Just hope the actual script and direction ties them all together nicely.
    Mr Beech wrote:
    Just hope the actual script and direction ties them all together nicely.

Hopefully there are enough quality, experienced actors on board now who will have the weight to say 'I dont think so ...' to any particularly outlandish script gaffs
    That said, I'm a little bemused as to why Finney is such a big name internationally. Tom Jones was a long time ago and did Saturday Night Sunday Morning, also aeons ago, do the business in the US? He is a good actor, esp as Churchill in The Wilderness Years, and great as Poirot though a bit mannered, but it's hard to see why he is so famous considering he hasn't done that many famous films.

I'd personally prefer more casting against type, or suprise casting, like Lotte Lenya must have been as Klebb. I mean, she was a cabaret artist and singer first and foremost.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,816MI6 Agent
    There was also Murder on the Orient Express, The Bourne Ultimatum, Millers Crossing and Erin Broconow ... Broceno ... Brec ....
    that movie. But still, you have a point.
    Yeah, I mentioned Poirot (Murder on the...) but Bourne was just a cameo, haven't seen the Erin Brokavictch movie but that's supporting roles. Not saying he's bad, just if that were an American actor in the same roles, you wouldn't be saying wow, what a big star... Still, he's got his stage credentials.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I'm a little bemused as to why Finney is such a big name internationally.

Funny, I never thought of Finney as a "big name". . .I don't think many people go to a movie just because Finney is in it. Still, he's one of those actors like--I don't know--Judi Dench who's always reliable and lends a certain class and (to over-use a word) gravitas to a role.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

Funny, I never thought of Finney as a "big name". . .I don't think many people go to a movie just because Finney is in it. Still, he's one of those actors like--I don't know--Judi Dench who's always reliable and lends a certain class and (to over-use a word) gravitas to a role.

I think Finney adds a strength.... and a certain depth. (Like a good Italian coffee.... you just know it's going to be well made and taste as it should.) Something that Bond 23 will no doubt benefit from - (a depth of character that is... not an Italian coffee :)) )

(One of my fav movies is Big Fish.... a very underrated movie, but beautifully told, and brilliantly acted, by both Finney and Ewan McGregor.)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:

I think Finney adds a strength.... and a certain depth. (Like a good Italian coffee.... you just know it's going to be well made and taste as it should.) Something that Bond 23 will no doubt benefit from - (a depth of character that is... not an Italian coffee :)) )

(One of my fav movies is Big Fish.... a very underrated movie, but beautifully told, and brilliantly acted, by both Finney and Ewan McGregor.)

Spot on Lexi - an actor of class and depth that is rare these days

My personal favourite - the uncle in a good year

And in may he admitted to having been fighting cancer , which he seems to have gotten the better of....

A five times oscar nominee, I also love his rejection of the knighthood in 2000

I bet he plays a Mathis - type character - and would be superb!
    ke02eww wrote:

I love 'A Good Year' . A fabulous little film that leaves me with a warm glow each time I see it. :x

Same with 'Big Fish' ( good call, Lexi. forgot about that one ;) )

Finney is just one of those very fine calibre actors who just gets on with acting and producing good work and not making a spectacle of himself.

Think he will be a great asset to Bond
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    ke02eww wrote:

I love 'A Good Year' . A fabulous little film that leaves me with a warm glow each time I see it. :x

Same with 'Big Fish' ( good call, Lexi. forgot about that one ;) )

Finney is just one of those very fine calibre actors who just gets on with acting and producing good work and not making a spectacle of himself.

Think he will be a great asset to Bond

Spot on lady rose...

Now see how much more fun participation is ? :)
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Exactly!
    Lexi wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Though it doesn't seem practical, I like the idea of Finney taking over Dench as M, in mid-movie and the next few installments, a return to the stern and gruff male M of the early movies and the novels.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I'll put my two cents in about Finney. I don't think he'll take over as M and I don't think he'll play a Mathis type character. I bet he's going to be M's husband. I know that's territory that hasn't been explored. We did see M laying next to a man in CR. Maybe this time her husband will have a more prominent role. Or maybe he'll just be seen at her graveside :v
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Mr Martini wrote:
    I'll put my two cents in about Finney. I don't think he'll take over as M and I don't think he'll play a Mathis type character. I bet he's going to be M's husband. I know that's territory that hasn't been explored. We did see M laying next to a man in CR. Maybe this time her husband will have a more prominent role. Or maybe he'll just be seen at her graveside :v

This is one of the better speculations I've encountered, Mr. M. When Finney was announced, I figured he's be like Tim Piggott-Smith in the last film: just brought in for a scene as a government functionary to harrumph over M's doings (and maybe he will be). . .but I hope you're correct!
    Vox clamantis in deserto