Product placement

PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
The new James Bond film will set a record for product placement, with a new report claiming that $45 million (1/3 of the movie’s budget) is coming from big brands.

Comments

• PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    Paperbill wrote:
    The new James Bond film will set a record for product placement, with a new report claiming that $45 million (1/3 of the movie’s budget) is coming from big brands.

I know this is "old news" but keep it in mind when looking at the products offered in Skyfall. I would assume the previous companies will be given the "right of first refusal" but I expect some major changes
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Par for the course. Just a few days ago I watched Morgan Spurlock's documentary, POM Wonderful Presents The Greatest Movie Ever Sold, which shows how deeply in bed film producers are with corporations that want to get their brands out to the public. It's inescapable.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I agree it's now part of every Movie and so long as it's not too blatant, I don't have a problem with it. For many years I love watching a movie to see if it's a "Pepsi or Coke" movie, by the vending machines in various shots. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    I can't imagine that some of these won't be very blatant. With that many products, we are going to see a lot of labels on Bond's hotel vanity as he shaves that scruff off.

I agree it's now part of every Movie and so long as it's not too blatant, I don't have a problem with it. For many years I love watching a movie to see if it's a "Pepsi or Coke" movie, by the vending machines in various shots. :D

Quantum of Solace was a "Coke movie".
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) with the plot of QOS, Perrier missed out there. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • YouknowthenameYouknowthename Carver Media GroupPosts: 500MI6 Agent
    As a collector, I can only applaud :)) Bring on the tie-ins and standees !
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    I can't believe that fans are so obsessed with this topic. Fleming packed the original books with brand names right from the start, so surely having Bond use up to date producs/designer goods is more a hark back to Fleming than people actually think! I for one love the fact that I can wear an Omega watch and sunspell clothing, use a SONY VAIO laptop, write with a Parker pen, drive an Aston Martin (OK, OK, that one's just in my dreams, but you get the jist!)
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    I can't believe that fans are so obsessed with this topic. Fleming packed the original books with brand names right from the start, so surely having Bond use up to date producs/designer goods is more a hark back to Fleming than people actually think! I for one love the fact that I can wear an Omega watch and sunspell clothing, use a SONY VAIO laptop, write with a Parker pen, drive an Aston Martin (OK, OK, that one's just in my dreams, but you get the jist!)

Well, it isn't that we don't enjoy the chance to own some Bond history and style, it is more of a concern that they are letting companies buy their way into becoming Bond history and style to the point that it is distracting and not necessarily something that Bond as we know him would associate with. It isn't that new brands can't be involved, but there is just a rather large list when you think about Bond these days. The stuff is fun, but the business that goes down to get it into Bond culture isn't so fun.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Getting back to the Morgan Spurlock movie I referenced: Spurlock interviewed a few name directors who mention that a man appears on their sets with a contract and tells them how the product must be seen in the shot. In that way, artistic control is taken from the director. Product placement, then, not only helps fund the movies, it takes away from cinematic art and provides consumers with commercials that THEY pay for. Ian Fleming referenced brands because he thought they were high-class and were what he believed a worldly secret agent would use. . .I don't know that he received enormous sums of money for mentioning products in his novels.
    Vox clamantis in deserto