Any news on Bond's gun?

ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
I apologize if this has been answered in the "New Gun for Bond?" thread. I looked and I couldn't find any answers. Does anyone have any information about EON bringing back the Walther PPK?
"Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Didn't he use a PPK at times in QOS?
  • oscar rubiooscar rubio Madrid (Spain)Posts: 286MI6 Agent
    In Quantum of Solca its ppk used, but I hope that Skyfall use the p99 or the PPS that is smaller and use it on Carte Blanche
  • pyratpyrat Posts: 260MI6 Agent
    Bond uses three handguns in QoS according to the International Movie Firearms Database, a Walther PPK, a Sig P226 and a Sig P210.

One of the things I have an issue with in Carte Blanche is Deaver's selection of the PPS in .40 S&W as Bond's carry weapon. It's maximum capacity is 6+1 which gives it no advantage in available ammunition over either the .32 or .380 PPK, although it does represent an improvement in projectile energy. My biggest issue, though is ammunition availability. The .40 is a widely used law enforcement caliber in the US, but I doubt ammunition is generally available for weapons in this caliber on a world wide basis and feel the 9×19mm Parabellum would be a more logical choice.

While product placement-wise I'm sure we are going to see Bond equipped with Walthers in the future, I think it would be interesting to have him go back to his Beretta origins with the Beretta PX4 Sub Compact which is very close to the size of a PPK, although wider due to it's double stack magazine which allows it to carry much more ammunition (13+1 in 9mm).
    Pyrat
    Reflections in a double bourbon...
  • oscar rubiooscar rubio Madrid (Spain)Posts: 286MI6 Agent
    pyrat wrote:
    Bond uses three handguns in QoS according to the International Movie Firearms Database, a Walther PPK, a Sig P226 and a Sig P210.

One of the things I have an issue with in Carte Blanche is Deaver's selection of the PPS in .40 S&W as Bond's carry weapon. It's maximum capacity is 6+1 which gives it no advantage in available ammunition over either the .32 or .380 PPK, although it does represent an improvement in projectile energy. My biggest issue, though is ammunition availability. The .40 is a widely used law enforcement caliber in the US, but I doubt ammunition is generally available for weapons in this caliber on a world wide basis and feel the 9×19mm Parabellum would be a more logical choice.

While product placement-wise I'm sure we are going to see Bond equipped with Walthers in the future, I think it would be interesting to have him go back to his Beretta origins with the Beretta PX4 Sub Compact which is very close to the size of a PPK, although wider due to it's double stack magazine which allows it to carry much more ammunition (13+1 in 9mm).

Maybe you're right in that Bond return to its origins and again use the Beretta, but I think Walther is a very good brand, Bond has always used and I would like to re-use it to Skyfall, and perhaps the PPS
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    pyrat wrote:

I felt the same way. Though I'm not personally a fan of the .40 S&W caliber, I admit it's a good round. However, it's a terrible choice for Bond. As far as I know, the .40 hasn't really caught on internationally, so finding ammo would be difficult. The 9mm, on the other hand, is popular worldwide. For example, I believe that the 9mm Browning Hi-Power and CZ-75 (and its clones) are the two most widely used handguns in the world.

The Beretta PX4 would be an interesting choice, though I still rather like seeing 007 carrying a Walther.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • mikekilo725mikekilo725 Posts: 75MI6 Agent
    pyrat wrote:

Actually there is a 7 round magazine option. With one in the chamber this makes the eight that Bond fires into the lock/hinge in the military facility basement while making his escape attempt.

I would say if he is going to use the PPS, then the 9mm variant is a better choice. Given the 8-round option with one in the chamber this would give him 9, plus it is the same caliber as the HK UMP that he has used in CR and QoS. It would also be the same caliber as most MP5s which are quite common around the world.
  • Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 387MI6 Agent
    I like the Walther PPK, in fact, I looked at one over the weekend. They may be old school, but they have held up well in this high-tech ploymer age.

I carry a Kel-Tec P-11 or an M-9 Steyr on a regular basis, but I still like the old stuff, like my .303 Enfields.
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    Naomie Harris said she trained with a PPK, so that's what I assume he'll be using. At least some of the time. Of course, since I own one, that's what I'm hoping for.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Naomie Harris said she trained with a PPK, so that's what I assume he'll be using. At least some of the time. Of course, since I own one, that's what I'm hoping for.

I own one myself; hoping to see Craigger wield one in SF {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,230MI6 Agent
    Craig was spotted over the summer at US gun range shooting a Walther PPK among other weapons. I beleive he said he praticeing for Skyfall which still called Bond 23 at that point in time. So with that in mind, I am guessing that the PPK and possibly the P99 are going to be Skyfall since both guns have become well known to fans and the P99 is still a decent handgun 15 years after coming out.

PS: Bond also used a Berretta 92SB briefly to kill the two corrupt Bolivian police officers in QOS.
  • spespyspespy Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    The PPK is far easier to conceal than the P99. And to use a suppressor on either makes them impossible to conceal. Then again, I don't think he was concealing at all in CR, as there was one in the car that he put in an envelope.