Ben Whishaw as Q in Skyfall

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    Cool - the idea of a "serious" Q will be a cool addition to the DC era Bond films! Maybe we will still get the odd joke but not quite as OTT!!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    Great!
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    oh fantastic, a kid with a bit of bum fluff as the new Q.

and here's me thinking M was the mother figure and Q the dad.

Q should be a character who dislikes bond for trashing the toys, someone who bond could see an authorative figure who could dish him out a bollocking.

whoever cast this child as Q needs to be dragged to vauxhall bridge and thrown off it.

plus, how could someone so young be the head of a dept? passed his 11+ and got striaght A's?

what a load of f@*king ****.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Someone on this site was earlier predicting that Whishaw would be Q. . .I'm now suspecting that Eon has a mole!

This could be interesting, and I'm wondering if Eon is taking a page out of Carte Blanche, making the head of Q Branch a young guy (too bad they didn't cast an actor of Indian heritage, though) and perhaps even giving him his own name, just so he can say, "Q is a department, not a person!"
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • BenSV650BenSV650 Posts: 233MI6 Agent
    I'm surprised that neither of those tabloids noted that Craig and Wishaw have already worked together on Layer Cake.
  • oscar rubiooscar rubio Madrid (Spain)Posts: 286MI6 Agent
    I do not like the idea that a boy so young interpret Q, someone who has always been older than Bond, so young as to be interpreted to Major Boothroyd?
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    OMG. Massive foul up. Way too young. And why does the BBC say head of Q branch? Ill-informed, lazy BBC journos. :#
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    Simon
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    This could be interesting, and I'm willing to withhold judgment until I see the finished product.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I'm guessing the new charactorization of "Q" will be of a young quirky eccentric genius type....someone who Bond might be able to mess with a bit. Or maybe he can be a new "Q" prompting Bond to question his credentials based upon his youth and grouse about "who is this kid you got to replace Major Bootheroyd?"
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,778MI6 Agent
    I am not fussed. Casting Craig as Bond imade me give up on having an opinion in advance, and Ben Wishaw is one of a new generation that can deliver the goods. I have often thought it would be interesting to cast him in a play alongside current Dr Who Matt Smith as brothers because their style, looks and intensity is very similar. As an aside, I was pleased that Naomi Harris has been cast, she is another of those actresses that is lovely, and also delivers the goods with conviction.

My only concern in this development is it is all dependant (as always) in the writing. If Q.2 is written realistically, he could be an interesting and fun character, taking a new narrative direction leaving Mr Llewellyn's excellent original portrayal alone in his memory. - We have all said he could not be replaced, to try would be wrong.
    On the other hand, we could end up with an awful parody, no matter how hard the actor works the scenes! I am thinking a horrific combination of IQ from James Bond Jnr, and Small Fawcett from NSNA!! :#

One thing that I spotted - none of the articles seem to quote EON / Danjaq direct? Or have I just missed that?

Regardless, I will wait and see on Oct 26th.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I'm guessing the new charactorization of "Q" will be of a young quirky eccentric genius type....someone who Bond might be able to mess with a bit. Or maybe he can be a new "Q" prompting Bond to question his credentials based upon his youth and grouse about "who is this kid you got to replace Major Bootheroyd?"

This is how I see it happening to. Someone who is border line genius. Perhaps he'll be quick-witted also. I have no problem with Q being so young, as long as it's believable.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    I'm just happy the character is back. I would have preferred someone older, but as Thunderbird 2 said if its written well he could turn out to be a interesting character.
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I like the idea of a new, young Q rather than trying to play to the same ideas and jokes as Llewelyn and Cleese. I look forward to seeing Whishaw's take on the role, and what the script gives him to play with. If done well, I certainly think it could be a nice way to reintroduce Q.

That said, I think the age of the new actor should perhaps have been around 40 to be believable as the head of a secret service department like Q branch. Still, my reaction is leaning more towards the positive side than the negative.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    What specific character traits did Q/Major Boothroyd have that needs to be preserved? As the armourer of the novels, Major Boothroyd seemed pretty indistinct. In the films, he was the weapons and gagetry expert that seemed to blend in with the service's "establishment." The character he developed was one based on insufferable animosity towards Bond with variations on affection...which in my opinion has run its course and can be left in the past. What's left is a key resource person in the service who is a genius in his field of technological weaponry, and nowadays, that's pretty much the youth, so I'm okay with a younger, or even ethnic Q, per Carte Blanche. What will be interesting is how they'll broach the issue of classic Bond gagetry in this "post-modern" direction of the DC Bond; in the past 2 films, the gagetry was there, but more as part of the subordinate woodwork of the service, which is appropriate in this day and age when regular people carry on their cellphones the technology basis for the homer, spy camera, photocopier, gps, etc.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    I think most purists would disagree, as I did at first. Having thought about it, it will work just as long as they don't try to make him act out the original character. -{
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Whishaw is 30. Also a very good actor. Don't have a problem with this per se, but like a new car chase I'll have to see how it's played out before I can say if I like it or not. :007) Hopeful about this for now.
  • Martin AstonMartin Aston LondonPosts: 408MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:

Ben Whishaw's isn't going to be a new character brought in to replace Desmond Llewelyns Q. Remember this is still a reboot, so they are in effect one and the same person.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    So Bond is now "The Old Man" of the series :))
    Now Q can make the sort of Jokes Bond did about M as "The Old Man" :D
    I'll give it a go, a younger Q, will be different. Although I wonder how long is the contract for, as I can't see a young actor letting himself get tied down to a long contract as a Minor character. So it could be All Change soon.
    Mabey get Justin Bieber as the New M. Once Dame Judi goes apart from Bond will old people even exist in the new Bond universe. :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent
    I have wanted Ben Whishaw to play Q for some time now, so obviously I support this piece of casting. So far it looks like Skyfall will be a really good movie!
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Golrush007 wrote:
    I like the idea of a new, young Q rather than trying to play to the same ideas and jokes as Llewelyn and Cleese. I look forward to seeing Whishaw's take on the role, and what the script gives him to play with. If done well, I certainly think it could be a nice way to reintroduce Q.

I agree - I think, rather than follow in the shadow of the last two, why not do something completley different. It suits the new era - and lets face it, it is the younger generation that really understands the new tech.

I'm intrigued with this... although it's interesting that at the title launch, not much was said (if anything at all?) about this role.... unless I missed it :))
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Blood_StoneBlood_Stone Posts: 183MI6 Agent
    I don't mind young Q. Its realistic with today's generation given the technology available plus it means Whishaw is set for life when it comes to acting work!
    I'm surprised that neither of those tabloids noted that Craig and Wishaw have already worked together on Layer Cake.

Funny enough, they had good chemistry in that film (with Craig not taking Whishaw seriously) so I can see them picking up where they left off now that they're reuniting on-screen.

But then again they can switch the 007/Q interaction around by making 007 the impatient one, which I think they'll probably go since he already gives M the "Yeah, whatever." attitude.
  • BondAllTheWay91BondAllTheWay91 Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    SiCo wrote:

I think casting a younger actor for the role of Q is stating that The producers of the latest incarnation of James Bond want to take the franchise in an all new direction. I personally think all US bond fans should hold on tight and see what the New re- imagined Q will bring to this latest bond flick...then judge the new actor as we wish.
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Personally I don't mind. I think a bit of Geek Chic is what they feel is right for this moment in time. Look at the current Doctor Who for example. Also the ages of some of the characters in series like Spooks. It is obvious to me that they have gone for the young talented gadget genius type. Which in these days majority of firms have got young bright things working for them in their creative departments. So why not have a young Q. I welcome his addition as I personally think he is a fine young actor. :)
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I was also thinking this version of Q may be able to go out in the field if need be. And since I believe they're going for a genius type character, this Q may be able to "Macgyver" a gadget together.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • lotuslotus englandPosts: 292MI6 Agent
    Pants
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It will be odd in the Movie to see the ladies Drooling over Q while Bond sits at the Bar knocking back the Vespers. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I'm a traditionalist and usually quite adverse to change but I dont see a problem here. As long as they keep the character quite serious I'll be happy.