The Roger Moore debate

13»

Comments

• zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    With the exception of LALD which benefits from coming after the dire DAF and a paunchy Sean phoning it in I find his movies unwatchable without cringing.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Some bits I love from Moore's years,

LALD, when Tee Hee tells him a pencil jabbed in to a croc behind the eye can kill it, Moore's hand moves up to tap
    his breast pocket. A very nice touch.
    TMWTGG, the dinner with Scaramanga. When he spells out that he is not an assassin ( Or cold Blooded killer ) but
    a professional who only kills when ordered. Another great scene showing That Bond is still a Gentleman spy, and
    not a Jason Bourne type killing machine.
    TSWLM, The talk Bond has with XXX about killing her Lover.
    Moonraker, After The Centrifuge attempt on his life, He pushed Dr Goodhead away, then scans the control room to
    find his attacker.
    FYEO, Bond and Melina on the sledge a nice moving little scene. As for Cardigan sweaters D Craig wore a navy one
    in QOS, more like a shcool jumper. As the scene had his "wet behind the ears " Bond seeking out a more experienced
    agent for some help, rather than the accomplished field agent of Moore.
    Octopussy, the death of Vijay, Moore Gives Bond some humanity on the death of a friend. In comparison to some
    actors Interpertation of a Cold Machine like agent who'd dump a friends Body in to a nearby Skip.
    AVTAK, In city hall confronting Zorin I love the "I'm speachless with admiration " line.

I could go on all Night ( Boasting again :)) ) But I know Sir Roger has a Small band of Fans Here on AJB. Those who
    Hate him will go on hating and those of us who Like his take on the Character will go on defending him.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    For all the Moore Fans ( Both of us ) here he is On Breakfast TV.
    http://youtu.be/aAdDRKIpqbo
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

LALD, when Tee Hee tells him a pencil jabbed in to a croc behind the eye can kill it, Moore's hand moves up to tap
    TMWTGG, the dinner with Scaramanga. When he spells out that he is not an assassin ( Or cold Blooded killer ) but
    a professional who only kills when ordered. Another great scene showing That Bond is still a Gentleman spy, and
    Moonraker, After The Centrifuge attempt on his life, He pushed Dr Goodhead away, then scans the control room to
    find his attacker.
    FYEO, Bond and Melina on the sledge a nice moving little scene. As for Cardigan sweaters D Craig wore a navy one
    in QOS, more like a shcool jumper. As the scene had his "wet behind the ears " Bond seeking out a more experienced
    Octopussy, the death of Vijay, Moore Gives Bond some humanity on the death of a friend. In comparison to some
    actors Interpertation of a Cold Machine like agent who'd dump a friends Body in to a nearby Skip.
    AVTAK, In city hall confronting Zorin I love the "I'm speachless with admiration " line.

I could go on all Night ( Boasting again :)) ) But I know Sir Roger has a Small band of Fans Here on AJB. Those who
    Hate him will go on hating and those of us who Like his take on the Character will go on defending him.
    Hear hear.

I think you vastly under estimate the amount of support that he has here and in the more important 'real' world. You are right though in as much as there is little point continuing to debate it as it's unlikely that either side will change it's mind. What I find fascinating is that I tend to agree with you about so much of the Bondiverse and yet so opposed about this. But that's what makes the world go around I guess.
    Thanks Supperdaddy and you're absolutley correct Zaphod, we all have our different opinions, that's what makes this forum so great. It would be nice if everyone agreed with me, but sadly people keep having their own Opinions. :))
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    zaphod wrote:

I think you vastly under estimate the amount of support that he has here and in the more important 'real' world. You are right though in as much as there is little point continuing to debate it as it's unlikely that either side will change it's mind. What I find fascinating is that I tend to agree with you about so much of the Bondiverse and yet so opposed about this. But that's what makes the world go around I guess.

Well, I know I can count on Thunderpussy and Mrs.Bryce. That makes three of us. :D

Being serious. I agree with you, zaphod. In the 'real' world Roger is also fondly remembered for The Saint/The Persuaders etc which adds to his popularity. In the Bond forums there is what I would call a "loud minority" who choose to voice their displeasure at every given opportunity and some (which is their right). This makes it seem as if there are more haters than there really is. I also suspect there is an element who choose not to admit that they like Roger Moore Bond for fear of losing some credibility. An example from my own experience would be not admitting to liking ABBA's music during the 1970's. As a teenage boy at the time it was ok to have a crush on Agnetha Faltskog and Anni Frid Lyngstad but admitting you liked their music just wasn't done without losing serious street cred amongst one's peers in my neck of the woods. Now I happily admit I loved the music all along. :))
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,309MI6 Agent
    pistolsgroup1.jpg

"Up yours, Moore Than!!!"
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited February 2012
    Nice!!! That Johnny Rotten, such a brave man for "coming out of the Abba closet" much sooner than I.

I always did like the Country Life.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    The Moore films were the first I was introduced too... TSWLM was really the first that I remembered.

I loved Moore.... and to me he WAS Bond.... but then I was at an age, where I didn't know the novels existed :o (well, I'm being honest!) it wasn't until much later that I then discovered there were OTHER Bonds....oh the shock! :))

Now, as an adult (ahem....!) who has read a few of Fleming's books, and realised the vast rich tapestry that is BOND... it does seem that over the years Bond has appealed to a varied and wide audience. I can appreciate that a die hard fan of the books would be frustrated with the different interpretations (and they have been varied to say the least) but each Bond has it's place... and Moore for me, will always be like my first love. Not necessarily the best... but certainly the one that leaves it's mark.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Thanks Supperdaddy and you're absolutley correct Zaphod, we all have our different opinions, that's what makes this forum so great. It would be nice if everyone agreed with me, but sadly people keep having their own Opinions. :))

We will all come around to your way of thinking eventually. It's surely only a matter of time. ;)
    I find your lack of Faith, Disturbing.
    Your Thoughts Betray You, You Don't know the Power of the Dark Side. ;)
  • Mrs.BryceMrs.Bryce Posts: 139MI6 Agent

find his attacker.

Can't help but agree with, well, all of it!
    I better not start a list of things I love about Rog as Bond;
    a) Because it will be endless
    b) I will feel the need to watch all the movies I mention
    c) I love pretty much all of it

Even though I've read the books Roger is still my favourite. He may be different from Ian Fleming's original Bond, but to me, and to many, he is Bond. I get a lot of crap for that, well just for Bond actually, but I really don't care. He wasn't even my first, Brosnan was, and oddly Brosnan is probably my least favourite; yet, he is the most alike to Rog. Anyway, where was I?

Oh yes, Thunderpussy and Moore Than, we should form a group!
    How about The Three Mooresketeers? :)) :))
    One for Moore and Moore for all! :D
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    can I join that group?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Bondtoys wrote:
    can I join that group?

Of course! Then there were four! :D
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Thanks!

There where times, that I thought, that I am the only Sir Roger defender on AJB
    However I agree with many here, that he was too old in AVTAK and that the movie had major flaws.

It was time that he left back then ;)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Mrs.Bryce wrote:

Good suggestions, Mrs.Bryce. The Moore Mooresketeers sounds better.
    Or how about The Moore The Merrier
    Moore Not Less
    AMoore :x

And just to show that I am fair and balanced (like Fox News) here's one for those who do not like Roger Moore Bond.
    Moore Than Enough :# :p
    Moore Than wrote:
    Mrs.Bryce wrote:

Good suggestions, Mrs.Bryce. The Moore Mooresketeers sounds better.
    Or how about The Moore The Merrier
    Moore Not Less
    AMoore :x

And just to show that I am fair and balanced (like Fox News) here's one for those who do not like Roger Moore Bond.
    Moore Than Enough :# :p

I like them all! Group decision time?
    Any of them suit :))
    What does the rest of our group think! :))
    Might I sugest "The Jolly Rogers " Although this might have some unfortunate
    sexual Conertations, which would leave us open to some Teasing from the
    less enlightened Members of the forum. :))
    Might I sugest "The Jolly Rogers " Although this might have some unfortunate
    sexual Conertations, which would leave us open to some Teasing from the
    less enlightened Members of the forum. :))

I usually refer to your chap as 'the Jolly Roger' but not as a term of approval...it might be a clever ploy to use the language of the opposition as a positive term. Very reflexive, very Postmodern. -{
  • jamesfanjamesfan Posts: 56MI6 Agent
    I guess this is true. Moore played Bond with a touch of British Humour. The others are action Bond performers B-)