Order Advice

VandrellVandrell London, EnglandPosts: 324MI6 Agent
Hi guys,

I am just about to finish Goldfinger for the first time and so far have read all the bond books in order. I just noticed that next on the list (FYEO) is a collection of short stories. I am wondering if I should read them next or jump straight to the next "proper" nover, Thunderball?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    Vandrell wrote:
    Hi guys,

I am just about to finish Goldfinger for the first time and so far have read all the bond books in order. I just noticed that next on the list (FYEO) is a collection of short stories. I am wondering if I should read them next or jump straight to the next "proper" nover, Thunderball?

Any suggestions?

It doesn't really matter.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Many say it's better to read them in order, Although As I got in to Bond at a young age
    I tended to buy them from secondhand book shops and Markets so didn't read them in
    Order. I don't think it spoilt my enjoyment, or my understanding of the Character.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    The full-length novels are in a certain order, but the short stories won't affect anything; they are standalone stories and not part of an arc. In fact, the only books you really *need* to read in order are Thunderball -> OMHSS -> YOLT -> TMWTGG.
  • VandrellVandrell London, EnglandPosts: 324MI6 Agent
    The full-length novels are in a certain order, but the short stories won't affect anything; they are standalone stories and not part of an arc. In fact, the only books you really *need* to read in order are Thunderball -> OMHSS -> YOLT -> TMWTGG.

Thats the word I was looking for "arc". Im going to leave FYEO for now and move straight onto the Blofeld Trilogy. £6.27 for all three, not bad at all. Just cant wait for it to arrive now!!

Thanks for your input guys.
  • oscar rubiooscar rubio Madrid (Spain)Posts: 286MI6 Agent
    If you have a chance is better read in order, there are other memories of previous novels.
    But do not worry if you do not really read in order
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,654MI6 Agent
    If your intent is to read the books in order, read FYEO, but if order is not an issue, why even consider skipping this book or not? Of the 5 short stories in FYEO, 3 have "action," if that matters. As a diehard Fleming fan, even a non-action short story is better than any of the novels by the continuation authors.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • VandrellVandrell London, EnglandPosts: 324MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    If your intent is to read the books in order, read FYEO, but if order is not an issue, why even consider skipping this book or not? Of the 5 short stories in FYEO, 3 have "action," if that matters. As a diehard Fleming fan, even a non-action short story is better than any of the novels by the continuation authors.

So far I have read them all in order and intended to keep doing so until I found out FYEO were only short stories. Im so engrossed that I just wanted to carry on with the main books while I was on such a roll. I've ordered FYEO so will get round to it at some point.

I dont think i'll bother with the continuation authors. That will just feel plain wierd.