Walther PPK will return in Skyfall

2»

Comments

• BodieBodie Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    Why is Bond carrying an antique. He is meant to be at the top of his game so he shold be carrying a modern weapon. Far too much looking back for what is meant to be a reboot.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Why is Bond carrying an antique. He is meant to be at the top of his game so he shold be carrying a modern weapon. Far too much looking back for what is meant to be a reboot.
    Maybe he likes it? :D
  • oscar rubiooscar rubio Madrid (Spain)Posts: 286MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Maybe he likes it? :D

Just want to use elements of the saga to let us know it's a James Bond movie?
  • cdsdsscdsdss JakartaPosts: 144MI6 Agent
    I actually don't mind the PPK as much in the Craig-era movies, since the gun fights tend to be smaller and more intense than the massive machine-gun battles of the Brosnan-era, in which everyone seemed to have an MP-5, and Bond was plinking away with a subcompact.
  • oscar rubiooscar rubio Madrid (Spain)Posts: 286MI6 Agent
    What I am saying is that it is an ancient weapon, for a military intelligence of the most modern.
    The Walther PPK is old for bond
    You Imagine the police or soldier shooting or doing target practice with swords and arrows
    What I am saying is that it is an ancient weapon, for a military intelligence of the most modern.
    You Imagine the police or soldier shooting or doing target practice with swords and arrows

Well, no. Actually it would be like a police or soldier using...a Walther PPK :))

But as I said earlier, my first choce for Bond would be the PPS.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    As mentioned earlier the PPK, like the DB5 is an intergral part of the Bond mystic. Once you take away all the "props" that makeup the "Bond" charecter, you might as well be watching a Bourne movie or a "Mission Impossible".

I say give the old PPK a break! It's not really out of print and it's still used in the world. Leave the fancy, multi-shooting plastic and stamped machine pistols to the villian, and enjoy James Bond for who he is, a "Gentleman Agent, with a license to kill".

I worry more over the quality of the script than what's in Bond's holster.
  • DanielCraig007DanielCraig007 Posts: 588MI6 Agent

The PPK is highly deadly in the right hands. Like Bonds... One headshot is all that is needed for a trained assassin.
  • TecoloteTecolote Mississippi,USAPosts: 121MI6 Agent
    Watching the Sam Mendes videoblog, that shows Craig sneaking around with his PPK, the profile of that particular PPK looked to be that of a prewar/wartime version with its squarer "bulldog" snout rather than the smoother more curved postwar version. My own PPK (which was finicky at the range yesterday) is of 1935 vintage, so I tend to notice early PPKs.
    Anybody agree or disagree?

Regards,

Tecolote
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Bodie wrote:

He could carry the Sig-Sauer p232, which looks almost identical and is a modern weapon (and maybe Sig-Sauer would pay for its use in the film which Walther doesn't). If anybody asks why he switched he can say he was tired of having the back of his hand pinched by the slide.
  • DanielCraig007DanielCraig007 Posts: 588MI6 Agent
    Tecolote wrote:
    Watching the Sam Mendes videoblog, that shows Craig sneaking around with his PPK, the profile of that particular PPK looked to be that of a prewar/wartime version with its squarer "bulldog" snout rather than the smoother more curved postwar version. My own PPK (which was finicky at the range yesterday) is of 1935 vintage, so I tend to notice early PPKs.
    Anybody agree or disagree?

Regards,

Tecolote

The ppks used in GE, TND, QoS looked like they were after war models. 1956-
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
  • TecoloteTecolote Mississippi,USAPosts: 121MI6 Agent
    He certainly is in the still photo released as the first official photo(and in the London exterior shots), but when I paused the video and compared it to my own PPK
    at various angles, I could get pretty much the same silhouette. I'm sure there is more than one PPK on the set.

As to the Sig P232, somewhere I read that it is actually used along with the bigger Sigs, by UKSF personnel.

Oh yes, I did get slide bite while shooting the PPK Sunday,albeit not as bad as usual.

Regards,

Tecolote
    Tecolote wrote:
    He certainly is in the still photo released as the first official photo(and in the London exterior shots), but when I paused the video and compared it to my own PPK
    at various angles, I could get pretty much the same silhouette. I'm sure there is more than one PPK on the set.

As to the Sig P232, somewhere I read that it is actually used along with the bigger Sigs, by UKSF personnel.

Oh yes, I did get slide bite while shooting the PPK Sunday,albeit not as bad as usual.

Regards,

Tecolote

I have a S&W licensed PPK/s with the extended backstrap to prevent slide bite. They get a bad rap, IMHO, as mine has been 100% reliable.

Not a fan of the Sig, though. That European-style magazine release means it takes two hands just to drop a mag.
  • whiteknight86whiteknight86 MexicoPosts: 43MI6 Agent
    I wanted bond to use the compact p99, modern and powerful as the full p99, but concealable and still elegant as the ppk. -{ If more ammo capacity is needed on a tougher situation. A full p99 magazine can be used with a grip extension. {:)

Compact_Adaptor.jpg
    Half monk, half hitman
  • TurnkeyTurnkey Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    He should update to a Walther PPS in 9mm, not .40 caliber as in Carte Blanche.
    Turnkey wrote:
    He should update to a Walther PPS in 9mm, not .40 caliber as in Carte Blanche.

+1. Those .40s tend to malfunction a lot.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    edited March 2012
    Someone shot dead with a PPK in 2012 is just as dead as someone shot dead with a P99, Sig, Glock or whatever.

Bond carries the PPK for personal protection, not a frontal assault on the Iron Coast. The P99 never made sense anyway IMO as a concealed weapon under a suit coat. It's a military sidearm / Police weapon not a hideaway. Are there better, more modern, more powerful small automatics these days.....of course. But if Bond is going to carry something small, it might as well be the iconic PPK.

These days for the "heavy lifting" Bond seems to go with bigger artillery anyway.....like the Browning Hi Power and HK MP45 in CR.
    So maybe he'll pickup something a bit bigger along the way in "Skyfall" also.
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    I have been reading this with interest, PPK an antique don't make me laugh, I shoot a hundred year old design of a pistol ,a .45 1911 custom, a lot of special forces/ police SWAT etc still prefer it over any of the modern "plastic " designs.
    I have carried three different pistols for personal protection, the Glock 17, Ruger Speed Six .357 magnum and the Walther PP in .380 ACP, my preferance for that job was the PP, light, easy to conceal and very accurate .
    The PP works and is still in production yes the British military have moved to the Sig 226/8 but that does not mean that the PP does not have its place. Anyway it is the best looking pistol ever ,most of the modern stuff is just ugly.