Breaking out the hospital....

minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
Its sunday night and I'm busy rocking back and forth in the cell when the phone goes off. A text reads "do you fancy going to pinewood?"

For a die hard bond fan, this is quite possibly the most stupidest question going. Just one thing, no fanboy stuff. Dib dib squire.

There's the wailing wall for some, stone henge for others, some even class the Tamburello corner as their own personal mecca. For us Bond fans, I guess the household name of Pinewood Studios would be our idea of the finale to a pilgrimage.

I'd actually thought the day would start in the early hours. In fact, we we're expected until mid afternoon, so I actually got up and on the road at the same time I normally do, which was nice. A trip though the countryside took me through misty fields of spuds and tractors, with a few 40ft arctics to hold me up along the way. Arriving at spike's, the dogs as always wanted a look in. Quick chat and waz later and its time to hit the road.

Spike's actually acquired this device called a time.... machine. All I can say is my next motor will be a diesel....

After scaring the living crap out of me for a good 100 miles, we arrive in Iver Heath. It's ten years since I was last here, working on DAD. Although ten years have passed, not much has changed. The corner shop where the fit bird used to work is now a co-op, but apart from that things seem very familiar.

Upon arrival, we drive passed the now unused historical entrance to Pinewood Studios. The old gate isn't used anymore, and the service entrance I'm, more accustomed to is now a long parking bay for coaches and trucks. Instead, Pinewood is now fronted by an impressive main gate, where security is paramount. Gone are the days of giving the albanians ficticious names, now it's strictly by appointment only, passes to collect and a chat with security first, then its through the gates and follow the signs. I know exactly where we're going, just round the corner from where I did part of my stint on DAD, and literally on the door step of where the famous ejector seat scene in Goldfinger was filmed. I think its where Bond breaks in to a portacabin but I can't be sure on that.

We're greeted by a stirling character, who we'll nickname the admiral. Spike catches up on old times, and we meet daz who gets the unenviable job of showing us around. Its time to go to church.

A wander through the heart of Pinewood leads you through the factory scenes of Goldfinger, stage doors are open revealing sets and miniature shots being set up. Through one door and you're out of the studios and in a totally different country. Strange writing adorns the walls and lighting effects lead to enquisitive thoughts. Through another door and you're back in england, but no where near London. We stand in a dark room, cobwebs cover the walls, rubble and stones are under your feet, broken furniture almost fills the room. A quick look around and we walk out a hole in the wall. I look back to see sheet of plywood and polystyrene. It's a surreal sensation. I remember being on the set of Tombraider 2, the Atlantis scenes where everything is tilted to the right by 12 degrees. Then it was disorientating, the set of the Ice Palace in DAD felt cold even though it wasn't, now this little set feels strangely derelict, haunting. A few steps reveal its just a wooden frame and some paint effects. A very weird sensation.

Onwards to the main stage, where a huge set is under construction. Not only is there plenty of timber, but steel sections in place, welding is going on, and huge fabrications starting to take shape. All this for one magical shot. I think it was Cubby who believed in the notion of doing things for real. This is very real, and it will look very cool.

A blast of sunlight takes us outside, it's time to go home.

Darkened rooms, creaking floor boards, wooden panels and a strange array of bullet holes.... and thats all I can say about that.

We head back to the offices for another chat and a smoke, then its time to hit the road and see something very special. We drive up to the top of the studios, and walk to a huge set. There's assistants, runners, riggers and sound engineers, stunt doubles, prop handlers and armourers. A black tent in the corner hides Sam Mendes from view, but hey I did get to hear him at least lol. In the middle of the set are a few people, a makeup artist mills around someone. She steps back and there he his, Bond.

Its that moment of true disbelief. I guess you could say I'm starstruck. No more that 50ft away, Daniel Craig stands talking to someone I can no longer recognise or even remember. The set is prepared, and the shot takes place, clapperboards snap (they look familiar) and the call for action is heard. A few seconds later its done, then done again, and again. I start to wonder how many times you can throw a... prop. I guess its a case of 6th time lucky. Not wanting to outstay our welcome, we head away. Part of me wants to ask for a chance to say hello, a request for an autograph, but you have to remain professional. A daft fanboy request like that could seal the fate of any future visits, so best keep cool bruv.

Another trip back later sees some stunt work going on. An uzi scares the crap out of spike as an actor fires a burst off. We hang around to see a few shots being taken, and then its time to head off.

A quick blast back up north and 4 hours later I'm home. It feels like 5 mins ago I was looking at Daniel Craig, now its back to reality.

The main thing that impacted on me was the level of detail and artistic talent that goes into making these films. Ok, so we all no Daniel is there, the main star, we've all come to see him as our favourite spy. But if I can get across anything, its this. Remember, when you're filling your face with popcorn, that behind the star are literally thousands of people. Riggers, carpenters, electricians, prop makers, model makers, make up artists, runners, assistants, drivers, medics, stunt doubles, camermen, sound engineers, gaffers, best boys, grips, writers, directors, producers, chefs, welders, engineers, painters, plasterers, visual artists, designers and even accountants (they get everywhere). The list is virtully endless. All these people come together, work their balls off and provide us with the best film franchise in the world.

Hats off to them, to spike for the invite, to the admiral for allowing it, and to daz for being the babysitter.

I loved every single second of it, and if they ask again, I'm there before they can finish asking the question.

Cheers,

MG -{
'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    Never mind about all that - what watch was he wearing :))

Only kidding, great read mate, I can't even imagine all this behind the scenes stuff.

There has been a lot of negativity about Skyfall (down to QoS I guess) however all these spoilers and snips of info make me think this one is going to be very special
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • icsics Posts: 1,413MI6 Agent
    Thanks Jeff it was a joy to read.... do you miss being a part of it ? -{
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Never mind about all that - what watch was he wearing :))

Only kidding, great read mate, I can't even imagine all this behind the scenes stuff.

There has been a lot of negativity about Skyfall (down to QoS I guess) however all these spoilers and snips of info make me think this one is going to be very special

He was wearing an Omega :D
    Singe missed out the most important part, FOOD :D , we stopped off at the Crooked Billet, a Pub just outside Pinewood, Singe had a juicy rump :v and I had a Burger plater :D 3 mini versions of there best selling burgers, a steak burger, a cheese and bacon burger and a wild bore and apple burger, served with hand cut chips bbq relish and some green leafy stuff :D OH YUMMY :D
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    Singe missed out the most important part, FOOD :D , we stopped off at the Crooked Billet, a Pub just outside Pinewood, Singe had a juicy rump :v and I had a Burger plater :D 3 mini versions of there best selling burgers, a steak burger, a cheese and bacon burger and a wild bore and apple burger, served with hand cut chips bbq relish and some green leafy stuff :D OH YUMMY :D

Sounds like a nice nice day Peter... you missssssss it ??? -{

psttttt more photos.... :D
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,660Chief of Staff
    A great read...thanks for sharing this -{
    YNWA 97
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    He was wearing an Omega :D

oh thank you very much for that information.

Would have never thought THAT! X-(
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    and I had a Burger plater :D 3 mini versions of there best selling burgers, a steak burger, a cheese and bacon burger and a wild bore and apple burger, served with hand cut chips bbq relish and some green leafy stuff :D OH YUMMY :D

Mini versions :))

And I believe in Santa.....
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

I think I would sacrifice the studio trip for the Crooked Billet grub - that sounds good :D
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Bondtoys wrote:
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    and I had a Burger plater :D 3 mini versions of there best selling burgers, a steak burger, a cheese and bacon burger and a wild bore and apple burger, served with hand cut chips bbq relish and some green leafy stuff :D OH YUMMY :D

Mini versions :))

And I believe in Santa.....

Ok they were mini to me, if Jeff had them they would be 1/4 pounders :v :D
    welshboy78 wrote:
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

I think I would sacrifice the studio trip for the Crooked Billet grub - that sounds good :D

it was very yummy welshy, i couldn't recommend it more :))

singes steak looked cooked to perfection to, bugger im hungry now :D
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    ics wrote:

Yeah I do actually, the visit brought back some fond memories.

But on the flip side I still manage to keep a few fingers in the eon pie as it were ;)
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,778MI6 Agent
    I love this, and one of the key reasons is the fact there are no spoilers!

I am a Bond fan have been since I was a kid, but the less I actively know about the story of the Bond films until I see it on the big screen the happier I am. But to know friends in here (industry pros at that) have been invited in to have a privileged look having been part of that mix id brilliant. Thanks for sharing it with us, both of you.

Reading about the grub has made me peckish though.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    Cheers TB2 -{ Very kind :)
    Reading about the grub has made me peckish though.

aye, me too, damn that steak was nice :D
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    ics wrote:

But on the flip side I still manage to keep a few fingers in the eon pie as it were ;)

Jeff..

Any interest, ambition and desire to go back ??? and any possibility ???
    ics wrote:
    minigeff wrote:
    ics wrote:

Jeff..

Any interest, ambition and desire to go back ??? and any possibility ???

Nope, nope, and kinda but ultimately nope and I'd like to think so.

See, for a lot of people on the outside, and not wanting to cause offence to anyone here, a lot of people view working in the film industry as a glamourous job.

It's really not, the hours are long, the work unstable, some jobs are great, others are total crap. One minute you can be making intergallactic space death rays, the next little daisy's bucket and spade. and who likes buckets and spade? in pink? pah!

you don't get to hang out with the stars, you seldom meet them anyways, as a model maker you don't get on set a lot, and the notion of having an input in the design side is very small on some jobs, you just have to make what you're told to.

i was talking to a mate who works in the industry, and he was saying that on the last job 3 weeks pay would get him the new ltd edition omega seamy (which ironically he cares not for). wow i said, that sounds like good pay, yeah he replied, but consider that i was working in a shed with no heating and holes in the roof so it was snowing inside. then consider that i've been out of work for 2 months, so that 3k is now nearly nothing as i've been living in the middle of london on it.

so it might sound fun, but i can't see myself ever going back on a professional basis, its too unstable, too far away and in winter its too bloody cold! :))

i have every admiration for the guys who slog it out though, hats off to them all.

MG -{
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org