William Boyd To Write Official Novel

Comments

• perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Apparently, the bookmakers Ladbrokes in the UK are taking bets on whether James Bond lives or dies in William Boyd's new 007 novel. The Book Bond speculates if IFP has given Boyd permission to kill of James Bond.

Has WILLIAM BOYD been given a license to kill 007?
    http://www.thebookbond.com/2013/02/has-william-boyd-been-given-license-to.html
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    Apparently, the bookmakers Ladbrokes in the UK are taking bets on whether James Bond lives or dies in William Boyd's new 007 novel. The Book Bond speculates if IFP has given Boyd permission to kill of James Bond.

Has WILLIAM BOYD been given a license to kill 007?
    http://www.thebookbond.com/2013/02/has-william-boyd-been-given-license-to.html

I really can't see it happening - I mean would IFP allow Boyd to kill off the goose that lays the golden eggs? I very much doubt it, somehow!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    From what I've read, William Boyd is awesome, I expect his Bond novel will be outstanding, and I can't wait.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    An interview with William Boyd featuring his debut theatre play Longing. More relevantly, Boyd comments on why he doesn't think they will ever make a retro Bond film. He reveals nothing new regarding his Bond novel.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/features/william-boyd-on-debut-play-longing--and-why-daniel-craig-isnt-right-for-his-james-bond-8512909.html
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Well, the title of the new book has been announced: Solo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22154094

Which is, of course, just one word away from a grrrrrreat name! ;)

Bad news: the plot (not really a spoiler but a very broad general thing about the tone in pre-publicity blurb)
    concerns Bond going off on his own again... this time it's personal it seems
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Well, the title of the new book has been announced: Solo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22154094

Which is, of course, just one word away from a grrrrrreat name! ;)

Doesn't seem to have spent too much time over it, does he? Not the most original title - must be millions of "Solos" out there!

But hey, that just the name. DEVIL MAY CARE and CARTE BLANCHE were great titles... but what was inside was ****.

Fingers crossed this time. Again.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    edited April 2013
    Not impressed with Solo either. Wasn't that meant to be the title for The Man From UNCLE until Eon threatened to sue them due to the use of the gangster character name Mr Solo in Goldfinger.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • MustonMuston Huncote, Leicestershire Posts: 228MI6 Agent
    Actually I really like SOLO for as a title. It beats 'NO DEALS, MR BOND.' I have no worries regarding Boyd's title choice. I'm sure he knows what he's doing. :)
    "Thank you very much. I was just out walking my RAT and seem to have lost my way... "
    Muston wrote:
    Actually I really like SOLO for as a title. It beats 'NO DEALS, MR BOND.' I have no worries regarding Boyd's title choice. I'm sure he knows what he's doing. :)

Now that I don't doubt.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,572Chief of Staff
    Muston wrote:
    It beats 'NO DEALS, MR BOND.'

Maybe...but that was a title by committee :#
    YNWA 97
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Luckily it's being published a few days before my Birthday.
    So I know what my wife ( Lucky Girl ) will be getting me. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Luckily it's being published a few days before my Birthday.
    So I know what my wife ( Lucky Girl ) will be getting me. :D

Penicillin ? :p

:))

I see the pre-order is on Amazon (probably has been for awhile)...now...do I pre-order with them or wait until it's released and go to Waterstones and buy it there ?
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote :
    Penicillin ?

:)) No that's all cleared up now. :v And I hope you can walk again. :p

I wouldn't bother with a pre-order, the last time I did. I ended up buying
    the Book Carte Blanche from the shop as I was still waiting on it to be Delivered. :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Muston wrote:
    It beats 'NO DEALS, MR BOND.'

Maybe...but that was a title by committee :#

Yes, John Gardner certainly had nothing to do with the naming of that one.
    They'd of been better to just call it "Bond book number 6 " :))
    They'd of been better to just call it "Bond book number 6 " :))

or Blackfriar. It sounds much better.
  • Richard--WRichard--W USAPosts: 200MI6 Agent
    I haven't read William Boyd's novels but I welcome a new 007 adventure by him. His films scripts were better than okay. I like the sound and temper of him in the videos linked above.

All these newly written novels should be contemporary stories instead of nostalgic stories set in the past. I had highest hopes for Jeffrey Deaver's effort, but he really disappointed me. I'm don't like reading about serial killers and characters who obsess over garbage for pages and pages. His novel was a little too sick & twisted for my taste.
    The top 7 Bond films: 1) Dr No. 2) From Russia With Love. 3) Thunderball. 4) On Her Majesty's Secret Service. 5) For Your Eyes Only. 6) The Living Daylights. 7) Licence to Kill.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Richard--W wrote:
    I had highest hopes for Jeffrey Deaver's effort, but he really disappointed me. I'm don't like reading about characters who obsess over garbage for pages and pages.

No wonder you're not so keen on us Richard--W - but we're not all responsible for the Skyfall threads going on so long....! :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BleuvilleBleuville Posts: 384MI6 Agent
    Muston wrote:

1st August the SOLO book cover design is shown on mi6-hq site.
    With bullet holes and a gecko on the inside hard cover.

When I get my copy from WH Smith for £9.99 I shall read the last page to make sure Bond survives.
    Don't want another Scaramanga shoot-out situation! (26th Sept.)

Bleuville.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I like the cover art very much :) :) 7
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    I thought it was dreadful until I saw the full effect.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Just put in my order for the book. Role on the 26th. :D
    Just put in my order for the book. Role on the 26th. :D

With whom did you place your order ? I'm not sure whether to order it or go buy it from a bookstore on the 26th instead...
    YNWA 97
    I ordered it from amazon and paid the small extra payment so it ( should ) be here on the 26th. ( fingers crossed) :))
    Ok...thanks for that...what's the price of it on Amazon ?
    YNWA 97
    It's only £9 and just under £12 with the postage.
    It's only £9 and just under £12 with the postage.

Thanks...was too lazy to look :))

Will probably order it from them now -{
    YNWA 97
    :)) also orderd the NSNA bluray for £8. :))