I live in Texas and I want to go to London for Skyfall Premier Ideas?

dchoward777dchoward777 Posts: 5MI6 Agent
edited April 2012 in Skyfall - Bond 23 (2012)
I live in Texas (Home of Felix Lieter), and I want to go to London during the Skyfall Premier. Ideas? I want to go to the Premier of the James Bond movie. I want to see the film in IMAX while I am there. What are you suggestions on how to make this an awesome trip and what other Bond related events, tours, etc. should I do while I am there.
Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Well, book early for IMAX, if poss before booking your flight. Find out when tickets go on sale. Is the Premiere there or at Odeon Leicester Square in the (by then) revamped L Square? Imax will allow for better views as the seating is tiered, you may get a 'tall tosser' in front of you at Odeon L Square.

I suppose one of the posh hotels like Duke's in Mayfair will be doing a Bond offer/rip off thing based around the fact Fleming supposedly devised his vodka martini in the bar or something.

The Barbican (where parts of QoS were filmed, in particular rogue operative Carter's apartment early in the film) is doing a Bond Style exhibition, but I think that will be over by October sadly.

Will Pinewood near Slough outside London be doing an event? Otherwise I think London is a bit spotty for Bond, you have the MI6 building on the Thames, the College of Arms near St Paul's (OHMSS), the lift from DAF in Fleet Street (see another thread on this site) and of course loads of places where Fleming lived if you are in to all that. See Henry Chancellor's excellent hardback book on the Bond novels and Fleming.

A lot of London is being revamped for the Olympics and is gonna look tip top when you come over, currently there's a lot of messy building work. My best advice is to walk along the Thames Path, from Rotherhithe along to Tower Bridge, then a bit further and cross the Millennium Bridge and go from St Paul's on the North Bank to the Houses of Parliament, IF it's a sunny day. You see loads of London you wouldn't normally get whereas the interior ie the West End can look dead messy and a bit ugly and fractious imo. A walk on the river and you get lovely views, also great views from Primrose Hill (go to Chalk Farm Tube) or stroll around Hamptead Heath.

There is a movie shop in St Martin's Lane near Leicester Square for lots of Bond memorabilia, it's opposite the strip club Stringfellows.

Cheap coffees (0.95p) to go from Leon in Old Compton Street in Soho, Carnaby Street and Oxford Circus, or from the very many Pret a Mangers that have spread like triffids across the capital. :)

Prince Charles cinema near Leicester Square does cult and classic movies, cheap reissues too, worth a look.

Cafe Rouge is a good place to eat out, not too pricey, also Byron for real quality burgers in a restaurant environment. Both are chain restaurants.

Should you book ahead you might get a cheap room (£25) at one of the YHAs to save on the rest of your trip, if budgeting. Not sure how to get tickets to the premiere, anyone?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • dchoward777dchoward777 Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    This is awesome information. Thank you very much
    Well, book early for IMAX, if poss before booking your flight. Find out when tickets go on sale. Is the Premiere there or at Odeon Leicester Square in the (by then) revamped L Square? Imax will allow for better views as the seating is tiered, you may get a 'tall tosser' in front of you at Odeon L Square.

I suppose one of the posh hotels like Duke's in Mayfair will be doing a Bond offer/rip off thing based around the fact Fleming supposedly devised his vodka martini in the bar or something.

The Barbican (where parts of QoS were filmed, in particular rogue operative Carter's apartment early in the film) is doing a Bond Style exhibition, but I think that will be over by October sadly.

Will Pinewood near Slough outside London be doing an event? Otherwise I think London is a bit spotty for Bond, you have the MI6 building on the Thames, the College of Arms near St Paul's (OHMSS), the lift from DAF in Fleet Street (see another thread on this site) and of course loads of places where Fleming lived if you are in to all that. See Henry Chancellor's excellent hardback book on the Bond novels and Fleming.

A lot of London is being revamped for the Olympics and is gonna look tip top when you come over, currently there's a lot of messy building work. My best advice is to walk along the Thames Path, from Rotherhithe along to Tower Bridge, then a bit further and cross the Millennium Bridge and go from St Paul's on the North Bank to the Houses of Parliament, IF it's a sunny day. You see loads of London you wouldn't normally get whereas the interior ie the West End can look dead messy and a bit ugly and fractious imo. A walk on the river and you get lovely views, also great views from Primrose Hill (go to Chalk Farm Tube) or stroll around Hamptead Heath.

There is a movie shop in St Martin's Lane near Leicester Square for lots of Bond memorabilia, it's opposite the strip club Stringfellows.

Cheap coffees (0.95p) to go from Leon in Old Compton Street in Soho, Carnaby Street and Oxford Circus, or from the very many Pret a Mangers that have spread like triffids across the capital. :)

Prince Charles cinema near Leicester Square does cult and classic movies, cheap reissues too, worth a look.

Cafe Rouge is a good place to eat out, not too pricey, also Byron for real quality burgers in a restaurant environment. Both are chain restaurants.

Should you book ahead you might get a cheap room (£25) at one of the YHAs to save on the rest of your trip, if budgeting. Not sure how to get tickets to the premiere, anyone?
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Cheers.

Oh, the London Film Festival is on in the fortnight running up to the prem on 26 October. So the capital will be movie mad.

Nothing to say Skyfall won't be shown on the sly as part of it, I think QoS was, maybe straight after the premiere itself.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Just a couple of 'off topic' thoughts nap (well what else would you expect huh?);

The rogue agent in QoS was Mitchell, not Carter.

And you say of cheap coffees in Old Compton Street, soho, I've got a royal artillery cavalry sword that was made there back in the days of George V

-{
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • ThomoThomo ReadingPosts: 949MI6 Agent
    There are plenty of Bond locations you can visit while in London - worth planning in advance though. Central London is quite compact so you can get a lot down in a day.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,742MI6 Agent
    Plus the Beaulieu exhibition of 50 Bond vehicles will still be running:

http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/attractions/bond-in-motion

It's not very close to London, but not crazily far away either; maybe two hours or so, and it's a nice bit of the world to visit anyway.
    Gotta do the 'forgot station' door on Westminster bridge...
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Aston Martin DBSAston Martin DBS Derbyshire, EnglandPosts: 659MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:

I#ve been there and done that LOL

CIMG0361.jpg
    "NEVER SAY NO TO ADVENTURES." Ian Fleming
    minigeff wrote:

I#ve been there and done that LOL

CIMG0361.jpg

ditto -{

they should put a section of wall up so us bond fans can check in and sign it :))
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I remember asking my wife to take a photograph of me by the door, she asked why ?
    This from a woman who on a tour of Granada TV studios wanted to know what was so
    special about the other door I wanted to be photographed in front of. "221b" :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Any other ideas?
  • peternorris 6869peternorris 6869 Posts: 1MI6 Agent

hi can any tell the exact date of the skyfall prem?
    I believe it is Friday October 26th.

hi can any tell the exact date of the skyfall prem?