What would you think of this guy as James Bond?

2»

Comments

• thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    I agree he's too old now. But he would have been a good Bond 5-10 years ago.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Jason Issacs could have made a good Bond in Goldeneye. But now he is 49 and far too old to get the part.
    I agree he's too old now. But he would have been a good Bond 5-10 years ago.

Oh, don't get me wrong... I'm not saying now and agreed he is too old to play Bond (unfortunately)! BUT he is looking very good - and is in great shape, I'm surprised he was never in the running??
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    Nope. I always thought Jason Issacs would be great....

Agreed. Anyone here been watching Isaac's in his latest show 'Awake'? Brilliant series - although his Amercian accent is a bit dodgy - but my God he's gorgeous. :x (Always thought that... but only recently have I pictured him as a very Fleming/traditional Bond....)

ustv_awake_jason_isaacs.jpg

I'll be damned. I'm completely unfamiliar with that guy, but I'll agree that he's a dead ringer for what I expect a 'pure Fleming' Bond to look like. Good call.
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:

Agreed. Anyone here been watching Isaac's in his latest show 'Awake'? Brilliant series - although his Amercian accent is a bit dodgy - but my God he's gorgeous. :x (Always thought that... but only recently have I pictured him as a very Fleming/traditional Bond....)

I'll be damned. I'm completely unfamiliar with that guy, but I'll agree that he's a dead ringer for what I expect a 'pure Fleming' Bond to look like. Good call.

I never watched him before, so I didn't know he was British. He's older than I think they'd pick for a new Bond now, but man he would have been a great pick as far as looks.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I always thought J Issacs would of made a brilliant Bond. -{
    But agree his time has passed, (Stuck with DC for god knows how long ) :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Hopefully forever!
    I always thought J Issacs would of made a brilliant Bond. -{
    But agree his time has passed, (Stuck with DC for god knows how long ) :#
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Feels like that now BL.
    I know! Isn't that great?!!! :))
    superdaddy wrote:
    Feels like that now BL.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    It is indeed and OLD DC looks like he has been around forever. :v
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    superdaddy wrote:
    It is indeed and OLD DC looks like he has been around forever. :v

OLD DC has never looked better. Good enough for another twenty three Bond films......at least.

funny_skeleton.jpg
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    Loooks like TSA's Diet is going well. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 43MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:

Isaacs played a Bond-esque character in the Jackie Chan vehicle "The Tuxedo." He's only in the first 20 minutes or so (which is as much as I cared to watch when I happened to catch it on TV once).
    I first thought of Issacs as Bond when he did a play on the BBC about the making
    of an old comedy show "Steptoe ans son" seeing him in those 60s suits smoking
    surrounded by all that 60s furniture he looked the part.
    Although I wonder if we all suffer from ( as with mad men ) seeing a modern
    actor in a 60s scene with the clothes etc we just all asume,
    "Hell he'd be a great Bond " :))
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    I first thought of Issacs as Bond when he did a play on the BBC about the making
    of an old comedy show "Steptoe ans son" seeing him in those 60s suits smoking
    surrounded by all that 60s furniture he looked the part.
    Although I wonder if we all suffer from ( as with mad men ) seeing a modern
    actor in a 60s scene with the clothes etc we just all asume,
    "Hell he'd be a great Bond " :))

Yep, I saw him in that... he played Harold Steptoe brilliantly.... a really good TV play. -{
    The other series he was in, which made me really sit up and watch was The State Within, where he plays the British Embassador in Washington DC...quite excellent, and worth a watch if it re-runs.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Cubby wrote:
    He'd be my first choice.
    And he had a nice suit...
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Mr Beech wrote:
    ExCell wrote:
    Don-Draper.gif

Mad Men is one of my favorite shows, but I don't think of him as Bond, really. I guess he has a classic gentleman look, but I feel like his American appeal makes a disconnect that leaves him more potential to be an American counterpart or something.

He is just too damn Don Draper for me to imagine him in British accent as Bond.

I finally found a thread about Don Draper as Bond. I just started watching Mad Men at the start of the recent season and have since gotten hooked! I began watching the earlier seasons on DVD and have only one season to go. At casual glance one would think Don Draper is a bland character (like I did) but after taking in all what has happened, wow, it's true that still waters run deep. As a caveat, I personally wouldn't even consider Jon Hamm in the film role of Bond, but it's interesting to observe the Don Draper character as a personification or very similar dramatic "type" of the literary James Bond. Of course, to imagine this, I would need to altogether ignore the American vs. British aspect and instead focus in on the personality types of the two.

Like Bond, Don Draper is a modern anti-hero in that he has strong moral values and embodies a personal code, though he is flawed in how he lies and cheats with his romantic commitments, how he abuses tobacco, alcohol (the staples of the TV series!) and occasionally drugs. Don Draper, like Bond, is a social introvert, has close to zero real friends and is highly choleric in his interactions with subordinates and business associates. He doesn't readily reveal his inner thoughts, speaks with brevity and won't suffer the fool. He has an ironic, sardonic and at times, a dark outlook on life. Unlike the affable movie Bond, Don Draper doesn’t even attempt to be likeable or funny, which is very literary Bond. Lastly, like Bond, Don Draper is physically attractive and together with his mysterious personality, draws attention and admiration from both women and also men, but in terms of admiration. As a bonus, Don Draper has black hair like Bond and is about the same height, though Bond may be a bit slimmer. I’d say that the Mad Men wardrobe is closer to Connery’s Bond, but in a way the 1960s setting helps in connecting with the period of the Bond books.

On the other hand, what comes to mind immediately when considering how Don Draper differs from Bond is that sometimes he is too lecherous for comfort (shades of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Roman Polanski!) Also, Draper occasionally fell into a deep morose about his secret and troubled past, having quite a different kind of mommy/daddy issue than Bond's. Though Bond is of landed, wealthy Scottish stock, Don Draper had humble origins and he managed to dramatically reinvent himself into the cool and sophisticated success that he is on the show; however, regardless of Bond’s “class,” the net effect of breeding was a taste for expensive things, which is something he shares with Draper. Lastly, of course Don Draper maintains the veneer of a conventional successful executive, living his life with a modern and socially mobile wife and kids in the suburbs (at least in the earlier seasons), whereas Bond enjoyed the carefree state of bachelorhood and all that lifestyle afforded him.

With that said…if there's an opportunity to catch an episode of Mad Men on TV, I encourage the uninitiated to visualize how the literary Bond might be like and Don Draper’s world IMO would come very close.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    Now don't all go crazy at once, but I have just watched WHITE HOUSE DOWN. Normally I would advocate only British actors to play Bond, but I was absolutely blown away by Channing Tatum. Anyone else think he would make a worthy 007?
    For me that would be NO. Sorry.but he's too lightweight an actor.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Anyone very well established in films and tv already are prob out in this day and age because of costs and their existing familiarity with the audience. - The more expensive an actor is from the outset, the fewer appearances you will get out if them.

Jason Isaacs would have been great as Bond in an Ian Fleming 50s period Bond story a decade ago, aground the time he first appeared in the Harry P films. He could make a great Tanker in that sense, or even a decent Fleming in a biopic with make up.

Michael Faasbender - too established. A Bond villain maybe.
    Channing Tatum - We are talking Bond, not Bourne or xXx!

In any case until Eon or the man himself say otherwise, Daniel Craig IS James Bond!

Thank you and Good Night!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    Anyone very well established in films and tv already are prob out in this day and age because of costs and their existing familiarity with the audience. - The more expensive an actor is from the outset, the fewer appearances you will get out if them.

Jason Isaacs would have been great as Bond in an Ian Fleming 50s period Bond story a decade ago, aground the time he first appeared in the Harry P films. He could make a great Tanker in that sense, or even a decent Fleming in a biopic with make up.

Michael Faasbender - too established. A Bond villain maybe.
    Channing Tatum - We are talking Bond, not Bourne or xXx!

In any case until Eon or the man himself say otherwise, Daniel Craig IS James Bond!

Thank you and Good Night!

What you said. -{