Ian Fleming novels seem to be under rated

yoyoyojoyoyoyojo Posts: 46MI6 Agent
edited May 2012 in James Bond Literature
Recently I decided it was high time that I read the Ian Fleming novels. Not sure why it took me 30 years to realise that as a Bond fan I might enjoy these. So I went on amazon and bought several of the novels,

Maybe I am too used to every movie/book/video game/happy meal having cross promotional marketing. But it seems like the novels have not gotten a lot of love by whomever owns those rights.

I just think of the other intellectual properties out there and it seems the novels which those IPs are based are always getting a fresh look, box sets, marketed a little heavier etc.

Just for a lark I've tried to find Ian Fleming novels in local inde book stores and I can never find any. Sure they have three versions of Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games, but you can't find a Fleming novel to save your life.

My guess is the deals for the Bond IP were made in a different time. MGM owns just the film rights to most (all) of the novels. Someone else owns the novels. No one has any incentive to republish these and cross promote them with the movies.

I also wonder, having not yet read the novels, if this IP is different than most. Perhaps these novels are not very good and the best part of the IP are the films.

Anyhoo not saying I want a pretty cover on an old book, doesn't matter to me so much. I am just curious how this IP seems to have been handled differently than any other IP based on a series of novels.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,323MI6 Agent
    The books are a lot older than the other ones you've mentioned, which are current blockbusters. The novels do get a reprinting from time to time, with new covers, but really aren't going to sell all over again that much. You can still find them in larger bookstores however.

I suppose Agatha Christie is an example of an old author getting loads of new publicity, but again, these colourful resissues are maybe once every two decades. Fleming gets more than that.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017