Anyone know what "Skyfall" means?

JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
Sorry if this has been asked already. I haven't been on here much lately, and couldn't find this on the search... But does anyone actually know what "skyfall" means? Is it the name of an operation/mission or something?
1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Comments

• PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    Yes, I believe it is the name of a mission Bond went on and had a less than satisfactory conclusion. Whatever it means judging from the tralier it is clearly something that troubles Bond greatly. The psychologist in teaser has to repeat the word twice, which causes Bond to say "Done" and leave the room.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    One of the popular explanations, and I'm going to stick my neck out and say I think it was confirmed somewhere, is that it is also the name of Bond's ancestral home, Skyfall Lodge, in Glencoe.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds interesting. I guess we'll find out for sure soon enough :007)
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Max EMax E In the northPosts: 80MI6 Agent
    In swedish(or the same word) it means hell of a lots of rain in a certain amount of time... But I am pretty sure that this is not the meaning of the title :))
    You know in America it’s “bling, bling”, but out here it’s “bling, bang”.
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    "Skyfall?"
    "My home in Scotland"
    "No, not that Skyfall! See, M, he's been got at. He's been brain washed. He's bloody useless!"
    "Oh, you mean THAT Skyfall. Why didn't you bloody well say? That's what happens when you buggers name a mission after my house"
    Sighs. "Okay, Bond. Let's try again, then. Skyfall?"
    "Done"

:s
  • Willard WhyteWillard Whyte Posts: 166MI6 Agent
    Good name for a film whatever it means.
    I smell a rat
  • Martin AstonMartin Aston LondonPosts: 408MI6 Agent
    Good name for a film whatever it means.

Octopussy was the strangest name ever and I remember feeling very let down after seeing it as I thought it was about something entirely different ;-)
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    its bound to be some massive weapon that will destroy some sort of entity MI6 or another.

or a guy named Sky that...falls, like in the trailer?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent
    Max E wrote:
    In swedish(or the same word) it means hell of a lots of rain in a certain amount of time... But I am pretty sure that this is not the meaning of the title :))

Actually there is allready a Norwegian film called Skyfall, or at least the direct translation "Himmelfall". I hope the only thing Bond thakes from the namesake is the beautiful and talented Maria bonnevie ...

1057591714_himmelfall.jpg
  • WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    Skyfall = British summertime. :#
  • Alec 006Alec 006 Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    The meaning of SKYFALL, is undoubtably the phenomenon that occurs when my upstairs neighbour's new girlfriend (who has just moved in) walks around in their flat, directly above my apartment, causing the ceiling to shake and vibrate.
    She's not even big. But man she is a stomper. It is noisier in my own hallway than someone running in my own apartment.
    That and the insane snoring all night long (like a monstrous Baskervillian hound growling).
    I fear Bond is suffering the same sleepless nights, hence his very annoyed reaction to the term in the Teaser Trailer. X-(
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Alec 006 wrote:
    The meaning of SKYFALL, is undoubtably the phenomenon that occurs when my upstairs neighbour's new girlfriend (who has just moved in) walks around in their flat, directly above my apartment, causing the ceiling to shake and vibrate.
    She's not even big. But man she is a stomper. It is noisier in my own hallway than someone running in my own apartment.
    That and the insane snoring all night long (like a monstrous Baskervillian hound growling).
    I fear Bond is suffering the same sleepless nights, hence his very annoyed reaction to the term in the Teaser Trailer. X-(

Woah, looks like someone needs The Rant Box
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    I saw an interesting theory on the MI6 forum. What if Skyfall is home of Bond`s ancestors. During the cold war an operation was planned or a secret deal was struck in Skyfall House under the leadership of M, so the deal is named Skyfall. A bit like the Camp David agreement. Camp David was an OSS training facility during WWII, before it became a holiday lodge for the US president.

I remember James Bond`s uncle was an retired inteligence agent in the Young Bond novels. I can`t remember any reference to that in Fleming, was it just an invention in Young Bond? But I do know that Scotish hunting lodges of noble families were used by the secret services and special forces during WWII. My impression is that the Bond family fell on hard times (perhaps in the interwar years?) and let MI6 use Skyfall House during WWII and the cold war. I think this theory looks good. What do you think?
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Interesting theory!
    Number24 wrote:
    But I do know that Scotish hunting lodges of noble families were used by the secret services and special forces during WWII. My impression is that the Bond family fell on hard times (perhaps in the interwar years?) and let MI6 use Skyfall House during WWII and the cold war. I think this theory looks good. What do you think?
    This is true, though they wouldn't have fallen on hard times because believe me MI6 wouldn't pay much for it. Cases like that would more than likely be a patriotic gesture as hard cash would be much easier earned in the private sector!

In the last few years it has emerged that the then Prime Minister Winston Churchill, Lord Mountbatten and US Supreme Commander in Europe General Dwight D Eishenhower together with other high ranking officers and cabinet members stayed at, and planned, the D-Day landings on the doorstep of my home town in a manor house known as St Phillans Lodge (which later became a hotel). So it's certainly plausable.
    unitedkingdom.png
    I think you are right about it being an act of patriotism to let MI6 use Skyfall House. I imagine the House was used by MI6 during WWII. Then the family used the House during James`s early childhood until his parents died. Then he moved to his aunt. The family didn`t want to use the manor, so they offered it for MI6 to use again. This would be completely logical and would place Skyfall on MI6`s hands in the 80`s. At that time one can imagine the M we have today was at a point in her career where she was put in charge of operations.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It came after operation " Chicken Little " :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    It would be hillarious if someone made a trailer for Skyfall with the same title and music, but starring Chicken Little :))

Or perhaps Asterix, Obelix and their chief. Because I don't know Chicken Little, but he and the chief of the Gaul village share the same belief system ....