My Skyfall Wishlist: "PAH PAP PAH PAAAAAAAAAAAH!DAH DAH DAH"

ThundernutsThundernuts Harlow, Essex, England UKPosts: 57MI6 Agent
Dear Mr Mendes,

Gunbarrel at the start? - Yes please.

Gunbarrel pulling away to reveal glorious pre-title sequence - Yes please.

Tradtional silhouetted naked lady type opening credits with PPK and flying bullets etc. Yes please.

And most importantly for me:

Much as I enjoyed CR and QoS, the John Barry/Monty Norman James Bond theme MUST be used throughout the movie this time including at least ONE triumphant "PAH PAP PAH PAAAAAAAAAAAH! DAH DAH DAH" moment. Essential.

That'll do for me. Over to you, Ladies and Gentlemen....

PS. I am EXCITED about this one.

*Rubs hands together and wishes away months until October*

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Thundernuts, We must be related. :))

I agree I'd love the gunbarrel and theme back. -{
    and at least one moment were you think to yourself " Only in a Bond film " :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ThundernutsThundernuts Harlow, Essex, England UKPosts: 57MI6 Agent
    There's a very fine line with that, isn't there?

Horsebox and fake horse's arse revealing mini escape plane? Brilliant.

Invisible Aston Martin V12 Vanquish? Pur-leaaaaaase!
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    100% in agreement -{
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    I'd like a 'James Bond will return in.......' at the end.

For me, that's a classic bondian trick.

I'm glad to hear Skyfall is longer than QoS, as I thought that was too short.

Another bondian trick would be the bowler to the hatstand in moneypenny's office. There's nothing more quality bond moment than the small talk between bond and moneypenny.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Yep!
    Thundernuts, We must be related. :))

I agree I'd love the gunbarrel and theme back. -{
    and at least one moment were you think to yourself " Only in a Bond film " :D
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    I think we are all agreed that the gunbarrel MUST be at the start. If Mendes and Wilson/Broccoli care about fans view at all then I am pretty confident it's gonna happen. AS for the use of the Bond theme, I am aghast as to why it hasn't really been used fully since the start of the Brosnan era. Ideas anyone??
  • HoagieHoagie Posts: 48MI6 Agent
    I think we are all agreed that the gunbarrel MUST be at the start. If Mendes and Wilson/Broccoli care about fans view at all then I am pretty confident it's gonna happen. AS for the use of the Bond theme, I am aghast as to why it hasn't really been used fully since the start of the Brosnan era. Ideas anyone??

I think the use of the Bond theme has a tendancy to take away the suspense of a scene, ie if we hear the Bond theme during an action sequence, we automatically know that Bond is in no danger and will come out of everything unscathed!

I still think it could be used, albeit more sparingly.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    They didn't use it in GE for fear it would be a cliche, they were trying to avoid that stuff and make it owe a lot to normal blockbusters.

They used it again in TND, but it looked a bit silly with Brozzer at Hamburg airport, not really the same as Connery at Kingston Jamaica airport; when many hadn't been abroad back then. May as well accompany him making a coffee or something.

But they've used it a lot in TWINE, it played out the end, surely. I agree with Hoagie, however, and esp it doesn't fit the more muted Craig era, he's not as flamboyant. The theme has a smirky vibe, a humorous thing that doesn't really fit, it worked with Connery best.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • SpoffSpoff Posts: 244MI6 Agent
    I just hope the action editing is a bit more loose than QoS.

a cut pretty much every second of an action scene was just too much for me, it made me feel like I was watching Bourne not Bond.

I like that the Aston Martin DB5 is back (Although probably only briefly).

I also like the fact that it appears as if a reasonable portion of the film may be set in London, which I think is good considering London is usually only a bit part player where Bond picks up his mission orders or spends 10 minutes chasing baddies.
    Well, it won't be like QoS, it's a different editor, Stuart Baird, who is top of his game and did the editing for CR. Wouldn't turn my nose up at him directing a Bond, he did Executive Decision which was okay, a decade or more ago.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Well, it won't be like QoS, it's a different editor, Stuart Baird, who is top of his game and did the editing for CR. Wouldn't turn my nose up at him directing a Bond, he did Executive Decision which was okay, a decade or more ago.

I think you are right. Arrogant as EON are the level of negative feedback regarding the editing will not have escaped them. I am positive that Skyfall will demonstrate some lessons learnt.
    This kind of thing has happened before. The largely positive reviews for LTD meant that overconfidence took LTK too far away from the Blueprint ( there were of course other production issues) and a more equitable balance was found next time around. Also DC was not thrilled with the outcome, and for a lead actor he seems to have a high degree of influence.
  • GordoLeiterGordoLeiter Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    If they are reviving the gunbarrell openings with Skyfall they should reuse the Licence to Kill gunbarrell music, ive seen a custom gunbarrell of that on youtube and that music fits Craig better than Dalton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZGdpl5XRcs
    I loved the LTK music back in 1989, but I doube they will re-use it as the composers tend to want to re work it for themselves.
  • GordoLeiterGordoLeiter Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    I loved the LTK music back in 1989, but I doube they will re-use it as the composers tend to want to re work it for themselves.

Thats true
    Unless they include a 'gag reel' at the end of the movie over the credits, I'm walking out there and then. X-(

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I think a few musical numbers would be nice. Imagine how things could have been if the tosca shoot out was done all west side story stylee.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    Unless they include a 'gag reel' at the end of the movie over the credits, I'm walking out there and then. X-(

That would be terrible indeed. I get all kinds of ideas. Craig farting while making out with a girl. Judi Dench unable to remember her line ("No, 007") take after take (she is getting on in years after all). The "T minus 7 minutes and counting" guy sleeping on the job. Stuntman's engine stalling 5 times in a row. All this accompanied by the TSWLM sailor interpretation of Nobody Does It Better.

Anyway, on topic. I really really hope Skyfall will give us that Bond feel. That excitement I experienced when I saw GE in the cinema (the first Bond movie that i saw on the big screen. I became a Bond fan in 1992 or so). Knowing from the first minute that you are watching a Bond movie (gunbarrel, great PTS, classic song and titels, Bond and M). Music is very important in this as well, so yes, let us have the Bond theme and maybe even a hint of 007? I hope this film is so good that Thunderpussy will start liking Craig, I start liking the whole reboot idea and Blackleiter starts liking Roger Moore. I'm not sure this will happen, but I realy hope everyone enjoys Skyfall and considers it a classic.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    I admire you for your sunny outlook, Pep, but I don't know............ :))
    Peppermill wrote:

That would be terrible indeed. I get all kinds of ideas. Craig farting while making out with a girl. Judi Dench unable to remember her line ("No, 007") take after take (she is getting on in years after all). The "T minus 7 minutes and counting" guy sleeping on the job. Stuntman's engine stalling 5 times in a row. All this accompanied by the TSWLM sailor interpretation of Nobody Does It Better.

Anyway, on topic. I really really hope Skyfall will give us that Bond feel. That excitement I experienced when I saw GE in the cinema (the first Bond movie that i saw on the big screen. I became a Bond fan in 1992 or so). Knowing from the first minute that you are watching a Bond movie (gunbarrel, great PTS, classic song and titels, Bond and M). Music is very important in this as well, so yes, let us have the Bond theme and maybe even a hint of 007? I hope this film is so good that Thunderpussy will start liking Craig, I start liking the whole reboot idea and Blackleiter starts liking Roger Moore. I'm not sure this will happen, but I realy hope everyone enjoys Skyfall and considers it a classic.

I figured the last one would be the toughest ;)
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    It's that obvious, huh? I'll try to do better. :))
    Peppermill wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

At least you like YOLT so I can't be too angry with you :)) -{
    Here, here!
    Peppermill wrote:
    Peppermill wrote:

At least you like YOLT so I can't be too angry with you :)) -{
    When a superior dignatory arrives at a briefing in M's office, Craig should dismiss Dench by slapping her on the fanny and saying, 'Man talk...'

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    When a superior dignatory arrives at a briefing in M's office, Craig should dismiss Dench by slapping her on the fanny and saying, 'Man talk...'

fanny?! bit kink aint it?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    I meant, in the American sense, dear boy.

Reminds me of that Brooklyn intern at work, I suggested we 'hook up' some time...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited July 2012
    minigeff wrote:

fanny?! bit kink aint it?

Wouldn't it be great if Craig would pay an homage to Roger Moore in MR when doing that (using the English meaning of fanny) and say with a raised eyebrow: "A woman...."
    Erm, remember Nap that in the USA the term "fanny" refers to bum, arse, bottom etc.

For the benefit of our American friends "fanny" in the UK refers to a lady's intimate feminine area.
    Being half American I have to understand both terms!! Lol.

Hope that makes sense and doesn;t cause offence!
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    I agree with the general theme of this thread. Gunbarrel logo (with bombastic Bond theme arrangement), pre-credits sequence & Danny Kleinman main titles (plus decent song, though I'm not against an instrumental piece) are all elements that should return with aplomb. After that I'm more than happy for the creative team to shake things up a bit.
    Wit should return but not broad comedy or slapstick. It just wouldn't suit Craig's style.
    I'm happy for Q's return (younger or older, I care not) but hope he's not used merely for an unfunny comedy vignette as poor old Desmond Llewelyn was increasingly sidelined towards. Barbed wit is fine but give the character something to say & do other than play straightman to Bond's cabaret act.
    Make the baddie genuinely bad & don't keep him in the shadows too long. This is fine if you have a Red Grant on your hands. Not so if you've Renard, Robert Carlyle utterly wasted as a cypher heavy. Javier Bardem has similar qualities to Carlyle & it would be criminal not to capitalise on his presence.
    The flicking of the cuffs seems to have caught most people's attention. It's a nice touch in tune with the brazen confidence that seems the Craig trademark. I hope Sam Mendes injects the film with many such flourishes. It shows the director cares & isn't just approaching the project as a hack for hire.
    I'm hoping the 007 theme may make a return. It's a rousing theme that's been gathering dust for too long. Hopefully Thomas Newman may incorporate it somewhere.
    And finally I just hope it's a top-notch film that gets the success it deserves. For success will breed more Bond & another fifty years of celluloid excitement. And I'm sure we all want that.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think we need to see the return of the "Double taking " Pigeons :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Here, here! -{
    BIG TAM wrote:
    I agree with the general theme of this thread. Gunbarrel logo (with bombastic Bond theme arrangement), pre-credits sequence & Danny Kleinman main titles (plus decent song, though I'm not against an instrumental piece) are all elements that should return with aplomb. After that I'm more than happy for the creative team to shake things up a bit.
    Wit should return but not broad comedy or slapstick. It just wouldn't suit Craig's style.
    I'm happy for Q's return (younger or older, I care not) but hope he's not used merely for an unfunny comedy vignette as poor old Desmond Llewelyn was increasingly sidelined towards. Barbed wit is fine but give the character something to say & do other than play straightman to Bond's cabaret act.
    Make the baddie genuinely bad & don't keep him in the shadows too long. This is fine if you have a Red Grant on your hands. Not so if you've Renard, Robert Carlyle utterly wasted as a cypher heavy. Javier Bardem has similar qualities to Carlyle & it would be criminal not to capitalise on his presence.
    The flicking of the cuffs seems to have caught most people's attention. It's a nice touch in tune with the brazen confidence that seems the Craig trademark. I hope Sam Mendes injects the film with many such flourishes. It shows the director cares & isn't just approaching the project as a hack for hire.
    I'm hoping the 007 theme may make a return. It's a rousing theme that's been gathering dust for too long. Hopefully Thomas Newman may incorporate it somewhere.
    And finally I just hope it's a top-notch film that gets the success it deserves. For success will breed more Bond & another fifty years of celluloid excitement. And I'm sure we all want that.