Dedicate Skyfall to John Barry!

Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,342MI6 Agent
Hello all, I'd like to start this topic in the hope that it gets the attention of the Bond producers if we can get enough support built in the fan community.

This may be to no avail and in fact, maybe moves are afoot to do this already, but I'm not aware of such. Nor am I aware of one Bond fan that doesn't revere Barry and I think that to dedicate the next film to his memory would be a fitting tribute to the great man.

If memory serves Goldeneye was dedicated to Derek Meddings, TND to Cubby Broccoli, so the precedent has been set.

All those in favour, post "aye"and spread the word!
Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

Comments

• YouknowthenameYouknowthename Carver Media GroupPosts: 500MI6 Agent
    Erm...Barry hadn't scored a Bond film since The Living Daylights in 1987... And if memory serves me correct, he and the producers didn't exactly part in the best of ways.

Meddings had worked on GoldenEye, Cubby was (half) the founding father of the Bond movies, so those tributes are more logical.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    AYE!
    Hello all, I'd like to start this topic in the hope that it gets the attention of the Bond producers if we can get enough support built in the fan community.

This may be to no avail and in fact, maybe moves are afoot to do this already, but I'm not aware of such. Nor am I aware of one Bond fan that doesn't revere Barry and I think that to dedicate the next film to his memory would be a fitting tribute to the great man.

If memory serves Goldeneye was dedicated to Derek Meddings, TND to Cubby Broccoli, so the precedent has been set.

All those in favour, post "aye"and spread the word!
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,342MI6 Agent
    Erm...Barry hadn't scored a Bond film since The Living Daylights in 1987... And if memory serves me correct, he and the producers didn't exactly part in the best of ways.

Meddings had worked on GoldenEye, Cubby was (half) the founding father of the Bond movies, so those tributes are more logical.

Thanks for your response - I wasn't aware of any bad parting of the ways, I knew he had a fall out with A-ha though.

I accept what you say about the previous tributes, but given that this film is being released on the 50th anniversary of the series and Barry's sad death last year, this being the first Bond film since, I figured that a tribute would be appropriate.

To me, Barry's music was Bond, notwithstanding any litigation regarding the theme etc.
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
    AYE! This is a great idea. Regardless of how he split his ways, without JB's music, James Bond films would not be the same. His contributions were enough to last an eternity.
    "Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    I dunno, it's all history. I'd love for Barry to have done one more cue, and what a shame he couldn't have survived for the Olympics, he could have done a short number for the Craig bit without the big effort needed for an entire score.

It seems a bit sentimental to have him namechecked, and he didn't much care for the 'modern' Bonds. Not sure of his view of CR, but like most I imagine he disliked QoS.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • vanguardvanguard Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    Aye, a small tribute would be so appropriate in the credits. When did Barry have the bad parting? He was supposed to do LTK but had throat cancer surgery. Was he asked to do Goldeneye?
    There were talks for him to do GE but his time was taken up with another film and he amiably suggested since they were going with a new start they might want someone else. Talks resumed for TND but were said to have broken down over the fee and his right to do the title song, which the producers wanted to hold over for a big name singer/songwriter to promote the film better.

Barry went off the Bond films; like many of us he liked the old films, the classics but if there was a new one on telly he said he wasn't bothered. Not sure if he was alive to see QoS. Guess he was. (Scrolls up) Bloody hell, I'm answering my own point. 8-) :#

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Hmm.

Admire Barry, love his music and all he has done for Bond. As I do many others involved, to differing degrees, Cubby at the very top.

But surely if EON insits on a dedication for this one, after 50 years, it should read:

TO IAN FLEMING. THANK FCUK.
    Who would we be doing it for anyway? Not like JB would have given a flying f.... frankly.

Yeah, dedication to Ian Fleming might work better, good shout out DS. -{

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Perhaps they could have a dedication on the end credits with a list
    of Names with something like,

" Many Thanks to
    All those who have worked to make the series such a success "
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Perhaps they could have a dedication on the end credits with a list
    of Names with something like,

" Many Thanks to
    All those who have worked to make the series such a success "

Not a bad idea, TP. And perhaps in addition to the above.

"And to all the fans who have helped make the series such a success"

Regards Ian Fleming. I would not be surprised if a photograph or painting of him is seen in Skyfall.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It would be nice to see a photo of Bond's parents, perhaps with
    Fleming as his father. :007)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    It would be nice to see a photo of Bond's parents, perhaps with
    Fleming as his father. :007)

Yes, I'd though of that before. It would be perfect.

Perhaps a bit too clever for EON to think of? Takes a bit of the reason for the movies' success away from them too... Would they be happy to share such a moment?
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    personally i'd like to see a 'bafta' style tribute at the end of SF, but i think there are so many people to pay tribute to that it'd take hours to get through them all.

i'd put the likes of john stears et co up there as important as barry and fleming, but like i say, i can't see it happening.

maybe bafta will offer a slot next time round for babs et co to say a few words?
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:

i'd put the likes of john stears et co up there as important as barry and fleming, but like i say, i can't see it happening.

A model makes? EFX man? As important Fleming?????

Surely you jest, sir. :o
    minigeff wrote:

nope. filmaking is a team effort, its not all about the big names imo.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    edited August 2012
    minigeff wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

Agree movie making is a collaborative effort.

But without Fleming's original concept there wouldn't be anything for said team effort to be used on.

-{
    minigeff wrote:

Agree movie making is a collaborative effort.

But without Fleming's original concept there wouldn't be anything for said team effort to be used on.

-{

too true dave, but i'm saying that if any tributes were to be included, then i would prefer to see everyone involved in a major way included. it's not a question of 'either/or', i'm just saying it should be everyone involved or no tribute at all. one could summise it to be a case of 'Everything Or Nothing' ;)
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    The begining of the end credits should contain "Dedicated to the Memory of John Barry 1933-2011". All this "bad parting"stuff should all be water under the bridge. They sold a ton of soundtracks and had top 10 hits when Barry did the scores. Barry's music is huge part of the Bond film's success.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Agree 100%.
    HowardB wrote:
    The begining of the end credits should contain "Dedicated to the Memory of John Barry 1933-2011". All this "bad parting"stuff should all be water under the bridge. They sold a ton of soundtracks and had top 10 hits when Barry did the scores. Barry's music is huge part of the Bond film's success.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."