We are still to see Craig decked in black...

HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
Watched Moonraker last night, fantastic movie!

Roger looked incredibly elegant and sophisticated in black (perhaps more than any of the other Bonds).

I wonder when we will see Craig in this very 'standard' Bond outfit? Perhaps Skyfall?

Comments

• David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Halcon wrote:

Roger looked incredibly elegant and sophisticated in black (perhaps more than any of the other Bonds).

I wonder when we will see Craig in this very 'standard' Bond outfit? Perhaps Skyfall?

You mean the fight with Chang/Char in Venice?

I think black was largely chosen for Rog at that time for its, er, slimming effect.

I don't think Craig quite needs that. Indeed, if photographed incorrectly, all-black on Craig's physique might end up making him look at little too small.
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    Halcon wrote:

I think black was largely chosen for Rog at that time for its, er, slimming effect.

I don't think Craig quite needs that. Indeed, if photographed incorrectly, all-black on Craig's physique might end up making him look at little too small.

slimming effect?...LOL!!...perhaps, but i never thought Roger was overweight.
    ..yes Craig does seem a tad trimmer in this one...
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Halcon wrote:

What colour doesnt :))
    Halcon wrote:
    Halcon wrote:

slimming effect?...LOL!!...perhaps, but i never thought Roger was overweight.
    ..yes Craig does seem a tad trimmer in this one...

I don't think Rog was particularly overweight - for a 51 year old - in MOONRAKER.

Unfortunately, throughout his reign, EON kept trying to pass him off as a 38 year old, rather than let him play an ageing 007, with all the issues of getting older there might be.

Hence, Rog was - understandably - in need of help to pass off this ever-young image. All back helped. As did high waisted trousers. ;)
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Listen up Moore fans as I am about to say something positive about Roger Moore as Bond !
    I think he also rocked the black attire very well in LALD

Also even more difficult as a lifelong Seanaholic he looked a lot better and more Bondlike in LALD than Big Tam did in DAF with a paunch, terrible clothes, and a very questionable Rug. The difference cannot be passed off as a sign of the times thing as LALD was still in the midst of terrible fashion for men. In LALD there seemed to be a deliberate attempt to smarten Bond up and return to the look of an English Gentlemen (the early parts of the film particularly play up the Englisman in New York thing, overcoat, leather gloves, clipped almost military hair etc.
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    zaphod wrote:
    Listen up Moore fans as I am about to say something positive about Roger Moore as Bond !
    I think he also rocked the black attire very well in LALD

Also even more difficult as a lifelong Seanaholic he looked a lot better and more Bondlike in LALD than Big Tam did in DAF with a paunch, terrible clothes, and a very questionable Rug. The difference cannot be passed off as a sign of the times thing as LALD was still in the midst of terrible fashion for men. In LALD there seemed to be a deliberate attempt to smarten Bond up and return to the look of an English Gentlemen (the early parts of the film particularly play up the Englisman in New York thing, overcoat, leather gloves, clipped almost military hair etc.

I agree. The black outfit including the huge holster and gun in LALD were great! It's a shame EON didn't incorporate the "makeover" Bond gets in the novel of LALD. I think Moore would be one of the few Bonds that could have played that scene. I can totally imagine Moore being showed a selection of bright colored ties, taking one look at them and looking up at the person showing the ties with a raised eyebrow.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Not a fan of Moore as Bond; but he always appeared fit and trim, even in his last Bond films. I also agree, EON missed the boat not allowing Moore to play an "older" Bond. Moore's style and sense of humor would have worked well for an older Bond.

IMO Connery did not look good at all in DAF. I was so bloody happy to have him back as Bond that I was willing to overlook the paunch, bad wig (no excuse for that in a film of that magnitude), uncropped brows and subpar film. Ironically, six years later in "A Bridge Too Far" or even another three years later in "Cuba" Connery looked much more trim and fit and would have been great as an older Bond.
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    So right. Moore looked great in black at the end of LIVE & LET DIE. He didn't look so good in OCTOPUSSY where he'd obviously decided sessions in his local restaurant were preferable to ones in the gym. :))
    I agree with everyone that Rog's leaner look in LALD was a vast improvement on the lazy, tub-o-lard look Connery brought into DAF (and yet was able to look better many, many years later!!!).

But after Lazenby, Bond became "middle-age-man-pretending-to-be-younger-and-fitter-than-he-was". With Rog, it was a case of "let's pretend"; lets pretend I'm fit, let's pretend my running in TMWTGG isn't an old man's woddle.

But, of course, as I posted above, all this is because Rog was playing something he wasn't; a fit, younger man. Shame EON weren't brave enough to let Bond acknowledge the passing of the years on his physical ability.

And while DC certainly can't do the thing's JB's supposed to do, he at least looks as if he might.