Why the double standards on Die Another Day?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I have so much fun with DAD... mostly because of Pierce. He carried that overloaded & uneven pile of crap as best he could, which is considerable. Similar to MR....
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Agent LeeAgent Lee Posts: 254MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    I certainly don't give Moore's films a pass. I only like three of them.

As for DAD… I hated the fact that the first half or so had real potential to be a great, dark, serious Bond film and then it just went off the rails. To engage in a bit of hyperbole, it's as if FRWL turned into MR midway through. The inconsistency in tone was just too much for me, and it irked me that some interesting concepts and premises were introduced and then ignored.
    What I was going to say, you already did, and better. -{

+2!!!
    Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wish-i-was-at-disneyland/id1202780413?mt=2
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Mr_Osato wrote:
    The negatives:
    - the script. For an example, go to the introduction of Jinx and the conversation that followed. Every single sentence had a double meaning and a pun. Made no sense at all and was cringe worthy all the way.
    - The CGI: F-ing awefull!!
    - Gustav Graves: really hated the performance
    - Jinx: God she was rubbish and annoying. And that comes from someone who really likes Halle Berry.
    - The invisible car. Really? an invisible car? And it was hardly used.

Graves is okay in my book, but I'd like to add the Virtual Reality sequences to the list of negatives. They were a distraction and unnecessary.

But what I would really like to emphasize here is that none of the worst parts of DAD have any relation to the Moore films. If anything, it's the salvageable bits of DAD that harken back to the heyday of Moore era. (OTT villains, exotic lairs, deadly female agents, exciting pre-title sequence, sword fights, parachute jumps….)

And Roger hardly ever gets a "Free pass"…. if anything it's just the opposite and he's being blamed for Die Another Day which he's not even in!
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:

But what I would really like to emphasize here is that none of the worst parts of DAD have any relation to the Moore films. If anything, it's the salvageable bits of DAD that harken back to the heyday of Moore era. (OTT villains, exotic lairs, deadly female agents, exciting pre-title sequence, sword fights, parachute jumps….)

And Roger hardly ever gets a "Free pass"…. if anything it's just the opposite and he's being blamed for Die Another Day which he's not even in!

I second that! -{ -{
  • Mr_OsatoMr_Osato Posts: 398MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    Mr_Osato wrote:
    The negatives:
    - the script. For an example, go to the introduction of Jinx and the conversation that followed. Every single sentence had a double meaning and a pun. Made no sense at all and was cringe worthy all the way.
    - The CGI: F-ing awefull!!
    - Gustav Graves: really hated the performance
    - Jinx: God she was rubbish and annoying. And that comes from someone who really likes Halle Berry.
    - The invisible car. Really? an invisible car? And it was hardly used.

Graves is okay in my book, but I'd like to add the Virtual Reality sequences to the list of negatives. They were a distraction and unnecessary.

Fair point, also because the idiotic parts started already with DAF, which is pre-Moore. But Moore did capitalize on the cartoon stuff. Which I don't mind, the Moore films are really entertaining although have little resemblance to the earlier Bond movies I suppose.

You notice that the producers always go back to the novels after a movie went too much over the top: OHMSS after YOLT. FYEO after Moonraker. TLD after AVTAK. and of course CR after DAD.

DAD is in my opinion different than the other OTT movies: it really is a stinker, although it was written as a characterpiece. Which completely went bananas. It is just a really bad production with sloppy CGI effects and lousy performances. Brosnan excluded who did the best he could.
    OHMSS, FRWL, DN, GF, CR, GE, SP, YOLT, TB, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

1. Connery 2. Craig 3. Brosnan 4. Dalton 5. Lazenby 6. Moore
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Madonna (thats all im gonna say)

Need he say more? :D
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    welshboy78 wrote:

Seriously, who give a f? It's a bloody cameo. 8-)
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Well Cameo and **** song :))
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    chrisisall wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

Yeah, I honestly don't see why that's an issue. It was a fun little scene and she did a cool title song IMO

(and no I'm not a Madonna fan)
    My current 10 favorite:

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Yeah, I honestly don't see why that's an issue. It was a fun little scene and she did a cool title song IMO

I agree actually. I was only joking around there. -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Precisely!
    Firemass wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Returning to the double standard question...while London Calling is a great song, it has no place in a Bond film. It demonstrates a poor decision by all involved in the film. Same goes for California Girls in AVTAK. I don't think there are double standards when many people call out the mistake in AVTAK of including that.

No other Bond film descends as stupidly as DAD. Some do in parts (MR) - and while Connery could carry anything, GF and YOLT are as ludicrous and as fantastic as the Moore films. To me that's double standards when fans who adore GF/YOLT can't cope with Moore's films.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    Precisely!
    Firemass wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Well, WELCOME BACK!!
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    Returning to the double standard question...while London Calling is a great song, it has no place in a Bond film. It demonstrates a poor decision by all involved in the film. Same goes for California Girls in AVTAK. I don't think there are double standards when many people call out the mistake in AVTAK of including that.

No other Bond film descends as stupidly as DAD. Some do in parts (MR) - and while Connery could carry anything, GF and YOLT are as ludicrous and as fantastic as the Moore films. To me that's double standards when fans who adore GF/YOLT can't cope with Moore's films.

Agreed. Some of Connery's are incredibly fantastical and over the top just like Moore's and just like Pierce's. As I said before, it's merely about the execution. DAD is executed very poorly
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited January 2017
    Revolver66 wrote:

Agreed. Some of Connery's are incredibly fantastical and over the top just like Moore's and just like Pierce's. As I said before, it's merely about the execution. DAD is executed very poorly

I think the evolution of the Bond series is an important factor to consider, particularly its role in pop culture. When it started, it was the class act that wowed the middle class and it continued into the Moore era. Speaking of which, using Paul McCartney and Wings for LALD was the cultural demarcation line since the series had taken on a wink-wink quality; by this point audiences remember most the tuxedos and martinis and it continues to this day because the wow factor of the mink and caviar was no longer enough to stay relevant...so the introduction of pop culture like music bytes not only became okay, but necessary IMO and a great, added touch to the movies' appeal. Arguably the reboot is parallel to that dynamic (the introduction of ludicrous elements for the purpose of relating) except the effort to make the movies more relevant to audiences was done on a much larger scale.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Precisely!
    Firemass wrote:

Well, WELCOME BACK!!

Thank you my friend!
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • OakvaleOakvale Pennsylvania Posts: 155MI6 Agent
    edited January 2017

Really? I think London Calling is a fair shake better of a fit for a Bond movie than California Girls was in AVTAK. Brosnan looks so cool in that scene it's really insane.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    I liked the London Calling section! Unfortunately after is where it goes downhill fast!!!!!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent

I agree completely. London Calling really took me out of the film, exactly the same as California Girls in AVTAK. Songs like that really don't belong in a James Bond film. Is OHMSS the only other film to feature a song in the middle of it that isn't source music?
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    I agree completely. London Calling really took me out of the film, exactly the same as California Girls in AVTAK. Songs like that really don't belong in a James Bond film. Is OHMSS the only other film to feature a song in the middle of it that isn't source music?

We Have All the Time in the World in OHMSS was composed for the film, same with Where Has Everybody Gone in TLD. FYEO had Make it Last All Night - but that was background music.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I liked the London Calling section! 

Me too! Never bothered me like California Girls. Maybe because it was actually appropriate…i.e they were in London.

I honestly have no clue why California Girls was used for that Iceland sequence! That snowboarding scene has nothing to do with California or with girls.

Also agree that there is a double-standard for Connery era where his films seem to be well regarded despite containing the same elements that the Moore films are criticized for.

PS - Hey welcome back Blackleiter!! Happy New Year -{
    My current 10 favorite:

• UnderwaterBattle007UnderwaterBattle007 Posts: 284MI6 Agent
    edited January 2017
    I don't give Moore's films a pass, I hate all of them.

Obviously your entitled to your opinion which I absolutely respect. But the 1970's in the UK was a really grim place to be, especially if you lived in the Northern mill towns like I did. The miners on strike, the dockers on strike, Uncle Tom Cobbler on strike (which means everyone else) power cuts, the three day week. High unemployment.

I became a teenager in the 70's, I went to Grammer school on my own 20 miles away from where I lived on a normal bus, and every day had to fend off kids from rival schools. I had to learn how to stick up for myself, in that decade I got laid for the first time, went to work for the first time, I went to see artists in concert like Pink Floyd. It was a really defining decade for me, the kid into a bloke sort of thing.

Moores Bonds which now look the way they do, back then brought a ray of sunshine into everyones lives. They came out every two years and you couldn't wait to go and see them. The only place you could see them was at the cinema. No VHS tapes, no TV, only queuing up to see them and the queues were long. It's no coincidence to me that Glam Rock prospered in the 70's, it brought brightness to the realality were everyone lived. A World that was Battleship grey in colour.

In Live And Let Die, a stuntman drove a speed boat up a ramp and over a police car, not once but twice. The scene they couldn't show because it was impossible to do was the speed boat into the car, all we see is a baddie tumbling into the water. Nowadays that would all be cgi, and I think this is the trap of DAD. Too much poor cgi.

Only my opinion, the only Moore James Bond film I cringe to watch is AVTAK, and thats because he's too old thats all. It still has a fantastic car chase stunt in it.
    FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

"Do you expect me to talk? "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

We Have All the Time in the World in OHMSS was composed for the film, same with Where Has Everybody Gone in TLD. FYEO had Make it Last All Night - but that was background music.

Where Has Everybody Gone and Make It Last All Night are source music, hence the exception I mentioned. We Have All the Time in the World, though written for the film, acts similar to the other two songs I mentioned in the films by being a song that draws attention to itself. On the other hand, it is also part of the music written for the film. It is unique in that it's the only song written for a Bond film used in the middle of the film that isn't used as source music.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits

Obviously your entitled to your opinion which I absolutely respect.

That's not so much an opinion as just hate speech. I do not respect that type of attitude on a serious Bond forum.
    My current 10 favorite:

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    Firemass wrote:

That's not so much an opinion as just hate speech. I do not respect that type of attitude on a serious Bond forum.

It is just an opinion, really, and is hardly 'hate speech' - which ought to be more carefully defined, especially in today's ever-increasingly dodgy environment - i.e., containing racial slurs and/or advocating violence against someone. Saying you 'hate' a film, or films by a certain actor, hardly justifies comparison to that, in my opinion. It's rather like calling everyone Hitler. It diminishes genuine reference to true deplorability, IMHO, and ultimately dilutes the effectiveness of entire arguments. 'Serious Bond forums' should be allowed the convenience of the word 'hate' when it comes to opinions of film...and then we might congenially disagree {:)

Mind you, I'm no fan of Moore's Bond :v :))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    I agree with Loeffs...its hardly a hate speech, its a poor choice of words, and maybe a bit strong, but no more than that. I do not value the Moore Bonds, and don't watch then as they make me cringe (I also grew up in the grim UK 70's) My issue is that I genuinely see nothing at all Bondlike in the characterisation. Its smarm not charm for me so I don't watch them. However it does colour other peoples perception of the character and the series. When people find out I'm a Bond fan its often that period which is the target for ridicule. Not a major problem, as there are plenty of other films to counter it with its just a bit of a shame and I find Moore's Bond a bit of an embarrassment. That said id take LALD over DAF any day of the week. Whats more worrying is that I am increasingly concerned that any form of dissent is seen as disloyalty and that stifles interesting discussion.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent

Obviously your entitled to your opinion which I absolutely respect. But the 1970's in the UK was a really grim place to be, especially if you lived in the Northern mill towns like I did. The miners on strike, the dockers on strike, Uncle Tom Cobbler on strike (which means everyone else) power cuts, the three day week. High unemployment.

I became a teenager in the 70's, I went to Grammer school on my own 20 miles away from where I lived on a normal bus, and every day had to fend off kids from rival schools. I had to learn how to stick up for myself, in that decade I got laid for the first time, went to work for the first time, I went to see artists in concert like Pink Floyd. It was a really defining decade for me, the kid into a bloke sort of thing.

Moores Bonds which now look the way they do, back then brought a ray of sunshine into everyones lives. They came out every two years and you couldn't wait to go and see them. The only place you could see them was at the cinema. No VHS tapes, no TV, only queuing up to see them and the queues were long. It's no coincidence to me that Glam Rock prospered in the 70's, it brought brightness to the realality were everyone lived. A World that was Battleship grey in colour.

In Live And Let Die, a stuntman drove a speed boat up a ramp and over a police car, not once but twice. The scene they couldn't show because it was impossible to do was the speed boat into the car, all we see is a baddie tumbling into the water. Nowadays that would all be cgi, and I think this is the trap of DAD. Too much poor cgi.

Only my opinion, the only Moore James Bond film I cringe to watch is AVTAK, and thats because he's too old thats all. It still has a fantastic car chase stunt in it.

Thank you for the nice commentary that gives perspective on the Bond experience. Yes, those were simpler days that were such a contrast to our digital world today. We do tend to look back with an overly critical eye on "little niggles" about the Bond movies, but for those fortunate to have actually watched the early ones (at least the first 20 years) in their theatrical run, it's important to remember how it was actually like especially in context of the real world. I remember the first one I watched in the theater, TSWLM and it was a thrill for an 11-year old sitting in the front row with a bunch of other kids like me who got dropped off at the theater by their folks. Watching AVTAK in 1985, I remember thinking how cool the PTS was, particularly the then-new snow boarding sequence that was such an anomaly to skiers, and yes, the playing of California Girls, which just hit a high note for me and helped set a positive tone for the rest of the movie.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Mr_OsatoMr_Osato Posts: 398MI6 Agent
    To me, all the Moore films are guilty pleasures. It has little to do with the Bond Fleming had in mind probably, it was way over the top, but still: love it! The movies were like pizza: no fine dining, but I do appreciate a great pizza. And that is exactly how I feel about Moore's Bond movies. It is just sit back, relax, put your mind out of gear and just enjoy a movie full of fun.

That said, it is maybe not even fair to Moore, because there are some iconic spy things happening in Moore's Bond movies, which makes them even underrated.

For some reason, with DAD I cannot enjoy it. Maybe because it was not written as a 'Moore' style movie, but the execution is so ludicrous that you cannot take it serious at all, so it becomes annoying.

But to each their own and which makes the Bond films so appealing: there are so many similarities and at the same time so many differences in style, that there is a liking for every Bond film out there. I am more a fan of the classic spy movies than of the over the top stuff, but still at the right time, I enjoy the hell out of them.
    OHMSS, FRWL, DN, GF, CR, GE, SP, YOLT, TB, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

1. Connery 2. Craig 3. Brosnan 4. Dalton 5. Lazenby 6. Moore
    Here's the difference:
    In DAD when Graves has the Robozap suit on, I'm always just slack jawed... like, "really???"
    When Jaws says "Here's to us" I'm crying.
    So, as bizarre or inconsistent or over the top as moments of DAD are, there isn't anything intentionally designed to be plain stupid. :D
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:

Perhaps I could've worded it more politely but I did add that I love Roger Moore but just not his portrayal of Bond.