Top 10 Problems With DAD

JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
edited September 2012 in The James Bond Films
There’s no denying that DAD is low on most bond fans’ lists. And my list is no exception to that. I don’t want to beat a dead horse, as the many problems of DAD have been discussed to death. But I think it’s interesting for those people who don’t like DAD to list in WHAT ORDER the problems would rank from most tolerable to least tolerable. In other words, which problems badly effect DAD more than others....

So, here’s my top 10 worst problems in DAD:

10 – The Theme Song
I never usually pass judgement on a bond film due to it’s theme song. And to be honest I’m being picky here just to fill my top 10 list. But still, to me, DAD is one of the worst theme songs in bond history.

9 – Toby Stephen’s Acting
I’m going to admit that I’m with the minority in that I didn’t mind Gustav Graves as a villain. I didn’t like him that much either mind you, but still, I didn’t hate him like most others do, and did find him somewhat interesting and unique. However, IMO Toby Stephens was just really poor at acting. He did however improve as the film went on though, which is why it’s at my number 9.

8 – The Dialogue
Like many have said, DAD has some of the worst, if not THE worst dialogue in the entire series. Mr Kil’s introduction, Jinx’s "going down together" line, and Jinx’s "leave it in" line come to mind... Speaking of Jinx...

7 – Jinx
I honestly think she is the worst bond girl out of the lot. But I suppose that’s just my personal preference, and I do think the bad script effected her character. Moving on...

6 – Falco
What a terrible character. Not only was he acted badly, but the character was just.... I dunno.... very unlikable. Maybe that was the point with him, but I still can’t stand him. Luckily though, he didn’t have a massive part.

5 – Madonna’s Cameo
She was acted awfully and her character was also awful and pointless. I just can’t believe they actually went through with it.

4 – Mr Kil and Vladimir Popov
These are two of the worst henchmen in bond history. Especially Mr Kil, who I would say is THE worst henchman in bond history, and to be honest, probably the worst character in general too. His acting was just atrocious. When he said “I’ll just use the laser”.... my lord, this man makes Goldie seem good in TWINE.

3 – The Invisible Car
I’d imagine that this will be high on most people’s lists. It’s obviously ridiculous without a doubt. Not much more to say than that really, but I do feel it really damaged the film.

2 – The Martix-Esque Slow-Motion Sequences
Why were these even used? Just why? There was absolutely no reason to include them. They looked bad. They were pointless. And they ruined action sequences full stop. For me, this really badly harmed the film, and is second only to one other flaw...

1 – The CGI
So here we have it, my number 1 problem with DAD. The terrible CGI is just something I cannot get past. In places it’s ok, but in many places it just looks so fake that it’s unreal. The very worst bit of CGI is the parasailing scene, just after bond is hanging from the edge of the ice cliff. Both the ice cliff and the parasailing scene (and especially the parasailing scene) look so fake that I am honestly baffled as to how they were actually allowed to be used on the finished project in their state. Honestly, I am shocked by this. The parasailing sequence has to be the worst scene in bond history.

So, what’s other people’s top 10 worst problems with DAD?

Note – I was going to list the best things about DAD too, but I can honestly only think of 4: Pierce’s performance, John Cleese, The PTS, and Miranda Frost
1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Comments

• GordoLeiterGordoLeiter Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    I dont get why people knock the theme song of DAD, imo its one of the best themes ive ever heard in a Bond movie and I consider it to be the only good thing about the movie.

The one thing that really kicks my butt about this movie is the gunbarrel sequence, whoever thought of the idea of a bullet flying into the gunbarrel should be shot. If anything the bullet should have gone above the barrel to make it seem like the other shooter got hit.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,062MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    10 – The Theme Song
    I never usually pass judgement on a bond film due to it’s theme song. And to be honest I’m being picky here just to fill my top 10 list. But still, to me, DAD is one of the worst theme songs in bond history.
    I have no problem with the theme song; I rather like it actually, and Madonna's cameo bugs me not, but the rest is spot on, dude.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:
    10 – The Theme Song
    I have no problem with the theme song; I rather like it actually, and Madonna's cameo bugs me not, but the rest is spot on, dude.

I have to admit that my theme song gripe was rather picky, just done to fill my top 10... I by no means like the song, but it doesn't bother me TOO much..... but as for Madonna's cameo, it really does bother me. I suppose it was brief though thankfully.

Part of me is wanting to actually put the matrixy sequences at the top, even above the CGI.... but I'm not sure.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

• Dalkowski110Dalkowski110 Posts: 1,314MI6 Agent
    10. The Madonna Cameo. Come back when you can act. Or better yet, don't come back!
    9. Vlad. Umm...did they WANT this guy to resemble Dwight Frye's interpretation of Renfield, or was that an accident?
    8. Mr. Kil. When was the last time you saw a character inserted into a movie for the sole purpose of setting up a one-liner?
    7. The plot holes large enough to fly the Spruce Goose through. Like M blaming the CIA for not telling them about Miranda Frost's fencing team. Uhh, pardon me, but wouldn't MI6 do slightly better background checks than what was (unintentionally) implied? How about firing one missile as Icarus, having it blow up, and then freaking out? Why not just fire a couple of missiles at it simultaneously instead of one? How about Zao not getting any form of surgery to remove the diamonds from his face? What quack of a doctor did he go to?
    6. Jinx. Bad attitude, worse acting, even worse scripting.
    5. An invisible car.
    4. The WAY over-the-top double entendre. When Austin Powers starts out-doing you, just put it away...
    3. The aforementioned weird, Matrix-like sequences.
    2. The horrible CGI.
    1. The very idea of Bond wind-surfing to escape a death ray.
    By the way, are you gonna eat that?
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,310MI6 Agent
    Over to you minigeff.... :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent

:))

Let the kids winge over the same old sh1t nap....
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I think DAD isn't bad in the first half. I like the set-up, and the fact that Bond endures capture and torture. But then they screw it up by Bond suffering little or no after effects from his ordeal once he is exchanged. He merely has to have a shave and a haircut and he is back to his best.

I thought that it was quite cool that they used the Moonraker novel as the basis for the Gustav Graves character but unfortunately they added a lot of rubbish that ruined it all.

I agree with most of the things on Jarvio's list, although Falco was one of the characters I liked, probably just because I've always liked Michael Madsen.

:))

Let the kids winge over the same old sh1t nap....

Well I already established that it's all been said before. The way this thread is different to the others is that it rank-orders the problems, rather than just mentioning them. It did cross my mind when making this thread that 'this has been said before', but I thought this was different enough as it's rank-ordering

• Dalkowski110Dalkowski110 Posts: 1,314MI6 Agent
    Adding on to what Jarvio said, if you really did have problems with the second half of the film as many people did, finding and seriously ranking "only" ten problems is actually quite a challenging exercise. I agree that saying "it sucks!!!111oneone!!!" really doesn't get you anywhere, but stating the reasons for why you don't like a particular part of a particular film should be fair game. Also, although someone writing a super-detailed, scene-by-scene review of the film would be both fun and interesting, most of us don't have the time...although I am free later on this week...hmm...
    By the way, are you gonna eat that?
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    If you are around forums for more than a few months then certain subjects/topics will always be repeated, some more than others. The old hands may roll their eyes but new members are joining all the time and these subjects/topics will be fresher to them. It's a fine balance and I think it's pretty good here at AJB.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    I really don't get all the antipathy aimed at DIE ANOTHER DAY. I'd have thought fans of the fantasy-based Bonds would lap it up. Alright, it has its imperfections, but what film doesn't? Granted, the CGI is poor & the invisible car is a gadget too far but these elements don't detract from my enjoyment of the whole any more than dodgy back-projection or a hovercraft gondola. The film's mission is to provide an entertaining two hours of action & excess. And in that I'd say it succeeds pretty well.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    The first half of DAD is very good IMHO. The bad CGI is really bad. :#
    And I like to see the stunts done in camera rather than CGI'd, I can
    forgive the Invisible car, Although still think they could of given him
    the white lotus and saved some cash, You wouldn't of seen it in the
    snow. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    BIG TAM wrote:
    I really don't get all the antipathy aimed at DIE ANOTHER DAY. I'd have thought fans of the fantasy-based Bonds would lap it up. Alright, it has its imperfections, but what film doesn't? Granted, the CGI is poor & the invisible car is a gadget too far but these elements don't detract from my enjoyment of the whole any more than dodgy back-projection or a hovercraft gondola. The film's mission is to provide an entertaining two hours of action & excess. And in that I'd say it succeeds pretty well.

All true enough. I think the problem is that the first half is so promising that the terrible second half really stands out. In addition I offer one word. Jinx.
  • DTReinsmaDTReinsma Orlando, FL, USAPosts: 81MI6 Agent
    zaphod wrote:
    BIG TAM wrote:

All true enough. I think the problem is that the first half is so promising that the terrible second half really stands out. In addition I offer one word. Jinx.

Yes, Jinx. If you eliminate her, the movie may not be so hated. I cringe when she speaks.
    After watching DAD on TV recently, my list has slightly changed..... Still the same 10 points as before, but in a different order now....

10 – The Theme Song
    Same point still stands, but I admit, this is a picky one just to fill my top 10.

9 – Toby Stephen’s Acting
    Again, same point still stands - He improves throughout the film though, so it's not TOO bad.

8 – Falco
    I still hate him, but whatever, he wasn't in it that much anyway...

7 – Madonna’s Cameo
    Terrible, but having said that, only brief thankfully.

6 – Mr Kil and Vladimir Popov
    These are still very awful henchmen. And I still think that Mr Kil is the worst of the worst. But I guess it's not the end of the world, as they only had small parts.

5 – The Invisible Car
    Ok, I've bumped this down my list, because, even though it is awful, at least I can laugh at it.

4 – The Dialogue
    Worse than I remember.... really some silly lines in this movie. Most came from Jinx.

3 – Jinx
    I hate her even more now. Yep, definitely the worst bond girl of all time. Sorry Jinx fans.

2 – The CGI
    So what do ya know... the CGI has been topped. Yes it's awful. And yes, the ice cliff/parasailing scene is the worst scene in bond history. But you know what... something is even worse than it...

1 – The Martix-Esque Slow-Motion Sequences
    There we have it. My new number 1. They had no business to be in there and completely ruined several scenes.

• BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Why are do so many posters seem to place so much of the blame on Jinx for the failure of DAD? I understand that Jinx, as the character was written (and as the lines were recited by Halle Berry) is a weak link in DAD, but she is far from the biggest problem. Besides, there have been numerous other annoying or poorly-acted Bond girls throughout the series (Rosie Carver, Mary Goodnight, Stacy Sutton, Lupe Lamora and Ruby from OHMSS to name a few). And at least Halle Berry is one of the more beautiful Bond girls for those looking only for eye-candy. The second half of the movie, with its extremely bad CGI, silly gadgets and plot twists, and egregious dialogue, are much bigger reasons DAD was such a dud, although admittedly Jinx also played a part.
    DTReinsma wrote:
    zaphod wrote:
    BIG TAM wrote:

Yes, Jinx. If you eliminate her, the movie may not be so hated. I cringe when she speaks.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    there have been numerous other annoying or poorly-acted Bond girls throughout the series (Rosie Carver, Mary Goodnight, Stacy Sutton, Lupe Lamora and Ruby from OHMSS to name a few).

In my honest opinion, I find Jinx far worse than any of those.
    Rosie Carver was pretty bad... but she wasn't in it much.
    Stacy Sutton.... not as bad as people paint her to be IMO... not great by all means, but I do think people overreact with her.

And to be honest, to be controversial, I don't find Jinx to be very good eye-candy either (not in DAD anyway). I'm not a fan of the short-hair look (no offense to any short-haired women on here, just my personal taste!)

Jarvio wrote:

And to be honest, to be controversial, I don't find Jinx to be very good eye-candy either (not in DAD anyway). I'm not a fan of the short-hair look (no offense to any short-haired women on here, just my personal taste!)
    Halle is supremely hot short hair or not IMO, and not a bad actress when toned down, but Jinx (like Catwoman) was her being a girl's idea of a guy's idea of an action chick.
    Michelle Yeoh did it better by just being herself. -{
    Your opinion is just as legitimate as anyone else's, friend. I'm one of those folks who think Stacy Sutton is at the absolute bottom of the list as far as Bond girls go (in terms of the character and Tanya Robert's acting, not her looks), and I happen to find Halle Berry extremely attractive, short hair or long. But to each his own. -{
    Jarvio wrote:
    there have been numerous other annoying or poorly-acted Bond girls throughout the series (Rosie Carver, Mary Goodnight, Stacy Sutton, Lupe Lamora and Ruby from OHMSS to name a few).

In my honest opinion, I find Jinx far worse than any of those.
    Rosie Carver was pretty bad... but she wasn't in it much.
    Stacy Sutton.... not as bad as people paint her to be IMO... not great by all means, but I do think people overreact with her.

chrisisall wrote:
    Halle is supremely hot short hair or not IMO, and not a bad actress when toned down, but Jinx (like Catwoman) was her being a girl's idea of a guy's idea of an action chick.

Agree 100%.
    Sounds like we are ready for "10 worst Bond girls" list....,.or a top 10 :)
    By the way I too hate the short hair. She had an opportunity to try and match the iconic scene coming out of the water but then looks like a little boy in a bikini.
    Halle Berry's a good enough actress but she is lumbered with an underwritten character. The cod-sassiness doesn't really work for her. Perhaps she's just intended as a counterpoint to Miranda Frost. I'd have preferred someone more exotic like Salma Hayek in the role of Jinx. Wasn't she on a shortlist?
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    I'll have you know that in person, Halle is very nice and polite, well spoken and absolutely gorgeous. :x
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    To be fair to Halle Berry, she seems to have a knowing sense of humour. Anybody who turns up to the Razzies to accept an award as worst actress deserves respect for not taking things too seriously.
    I don't know what kind of "little boys" you've been exposed to, but I've NEVER seen one with a body like that! I understand if you are not fond of short hair, but is that ALL you saw?!!!
    DTReinsma wrote:
    By the way I too hate the short hair. She had an opportunity to try and match the iconic scene coming out of the water but then looks like a little boy in a bikini.
    I don't know what kind of "little boys" you've been exposed to, but I've NEVER seen one with a body like that! I understand if you are not fond of short hair, but is that ALL you saw?!!!
    DTReinsma wrote:

Come on. Yes, she has a rocking body but then she tries to run her hands through her lack of hair.....it just looks ridiculous. Watch that scene again. That scene with a woman with long hair would have been great. I think her short hair is what keeps this scene from being as iconic as Honey Rider's.
    DTReinsma wrote:
    Come on. Yes, she has a rocking body but then she tries to run her hands through her lack of hair.....it just looks ridiculous.
    Nah, what looks REALLY ridiculous is the OTT swivel-hip thing she does walking out, it makes her look like she has tragically bad scoliosis or something. 8-)
  • GordoLeiterGordoLeiter Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    Speaking of Halle, it was kinda obvious they were trying to recreate the famous Dr.No scene when Honey comes out of the water. Shows how desprate they were with this one
    Speaking of Halle, it was kinda obvious they were trying to recreate the famous Dr.No scene when Honey comes out of the water. Shows how desprate they were with this one

I assume it was one of the (many) homages to the bond films