Live and Let Die best bond theme... apparently!

LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
The 007 movies have spawned a host of classic soundtracks - but Live And Let Die has been named as the greatest ever James Bond theme.

Sir Paul McCartney's track, which he recorded with his band Wings, topped a poll of BBC Radio 5 Live and Radio 2 listeners.

Taken from the 1973 Bond film of the same name, Live And Let Die pulled in more than a quarter of the votes in the poll to find fans' favourite 007 theme tune.

Read more
She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony

Comments

• Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Personally, I think Live And Let Die is a cracking theme tune so I am not surprised it got a lot of votes, though I would probably have expected Dame Shirley to top the poll with Goldfinger. The biggest surprise to me is Another Way to Die at number five. YIKES! I am definitely getting old.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    Personally, I think Live And Let Die is a cracking theme tune so I am not surprised it got a lot of votes, though I would probably have expected Dame Shirley to top the poll with Goldfinger. The biggest surprise to me is Another Way to Die at number five. YIKES! I am definitely getting old.

Yeh, I agree, Live and let die is a cracking tune.

And I'm delighted that Another Way to Die got #5... but sad that Madonna's Die Another Day didn't get a top 10 spot :v
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Live and let die is Brilliant. -{
    as for another way to die, WTF. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Except for "Another Way To Die" (what the hell?), this is a respectful list
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    LALD might very well be my favorite vocal Bond theme (my all-around fave is OHMSS's intrumental theme).

As a side note, I've never understood the hatred directed towards 'Another Way to Die.' I love that song, and I thought it fit perfectly with the feel of the film. It would definitely be on my personal Top 5 Bond Theme list.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • GordoLeiterGordoLeiter Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    Guns n Roses' version is way better. Paul McCartney is terrible.
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    'Nobody Does It Better' at #2? I always felt that it sounded like a rather generic love song.

I'd move 'You Know My Name' way up the list.
    As a side note, I've never understood the hatred directed towards 'Another Way to Die.' I love that song, and I thought it fit perfectly with the feel of the film. It would definitely be on my personal Top 5 Bond Theme list.

My two cents, I just think it's a terrible song with barely any melody, awful lyrics, and the whole thing just does not suit bond at all... the song seems like it is trying to be something it's not... that's just my opinion. I honestly do think it's the worst bond theme of them all :#
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,675Chief of Staff
    Jarvio wrote:

My two cents, I just think it's a terrible song with barely any melody, awful lyrics, and the whole thing just does not suit bond at all... the song seems like it is trying to be something it's not... that's just my opinion. I honestly do think it's the worst bond theme of them all :#

You know my feelings on that song too, Jarvio...it's easily one of the best in the series...great guitar riff...and just a power track to support Bond's mood throughout this film...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:

You know my feelings on that song too, Jarvio...it's easily one of the best in the series...great guitar riff...and just a power track to support Bond's mood throughout this film...

Indeed I do. Opinions are opinions, it's all good :007)

• Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    It would be interesting to know how many actual votes there were, as we were only given percentages. Especially as I tried to vote as soon as I heard the trail on Radio 2 and couldn't find how to.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    It sounds a bit like the Oscars...the closer you're released to voting time, the better chance you have of winning because everyone remembers you and forgets what came out 12 months earlier. I can't argue with 'Live and Let Die' and think there are only a couple that can compete with it, namely 'Goldfinger', 'Thunderball' and 'Diamonds are Forever'. There are a number of others that I really like, and most of the recent ones that I'm either ambivalent towards or dislike.