Adele sings "Skyfall" (Let the Sky Fall)

james362001james362001 Lancaster, California USAPosts: 338MI6 Agent
Heard a 1 min, 29 sec. sample today of Adele singing "Skyfall". It is very beautiful. I can't wait to hear all of it this Friday. Trust me. You will be listening to this one over and over again. :007)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Sounds GREAT.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,368Chief of Staff
    Very happy with this one!
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    I'm not going to listen. I would prefer to hear it for the first time during the film. It just adds something to the experience for me.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    edited October 2012
    I've listened to the whole track on Adele's site. As someone who prefers a respectable pastiche of John Barry's classics to more experimental tracks, I think this is the most Bondian Bond song since Arnold's 'Surrender' and 'The World Is Not Enough', though not as complex as either of those. (Having said that, 'You Know My Name' nailed it as CR's opener and I've recently grown to appreciate 'Another Way To Die' in a way I wouldn't have thought possible when I first heard it.)

In the tradition of Barryesque ballads, Adele is a perfect choice as co-writer/vocalist - though on the down side I think that in this piece there's perhaps an overdependence on an arrangement of The James Bond Theme bass line. I'm not too sold, either, on the choral echoes which come in later (they're a little too cheesey in a light entertainment, 'X Factor' sort of a way). The sign-off, a final brass note of mounting menace, is pure 'Scaramanga's Fun House', and that's enough to make me very happy!

Adele gives more than a nod to Shirley Bassey, of course - as at 0.40/0.41, where she races to and draws out the consonant "n" in the "count" of "and count to ten". But also, perhaps, her affectation of a catch in her voice at 1.13/1.14, as she enunciates the 'e' vowel sound of "them" in "So overdue I owe them", is a passing homage to Amy Winehouse's trademark vocal style. Adele's performance and the essential melancholy of the song made me think again, actually, how unlucky we are that Amy Winehouse never did do a Bond song, as at one point was the intention. But it's great that we have Adele.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,608Chief of Staff
  • james362001james362001 Lancaster, California USAPosts: 338MI6 Agent
    After hearing Chris Mann sing on the Kathie Lee and Hoda program and then the NBC Rockefeller Christmas (tree lighting) yesterday, I think he has the voice to sing a James Bond theme song.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    I come to like it very much after initially not caring for it.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Adele has been named Billboard's top artist of 2012, while her hit record 21 was named top album of the year in the music magazine's annual review. She is the first to receive both accolades two years in a row. Adele was also named top female artist.

Adele named Billboard top artist of 2012
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20747039
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)