Everything Or Nothing

Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
edited October 2012 in Skyfall - Bond 23 (2012)
I saw this on Epix here in the States along with The Secrets Of Skyfall on Global James Bond Day. I though it was pretty good. One thing that was interesting was that David Picker (United Artists) said it was stupid that Broccoli and Saltzman did not re-negotiate Connery's contract. Particularly in light of the fact that both Broccoli an Saltzman re-negotiated their contracts with United Artists.

The other thing that was interesting was that Connery called Broccoli when Broccoli was ill before his death. Broccoli said essentially to Connery that they made something great and that he loved Connery. Connery said that he loved Broccoli too. I thought that was just great. Glad that happened! Brought tears to Barbara's eyes who helped facilitate the call.

DG
So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Comments

• PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    thanks for the heads up on Epix
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Just letting you know that there is already a topic on Everything or Nothing which can be found at the link below.

Bond documentary Everything or Nothing in UK cinemas Oct 5
    http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/39089/bond-documentary-everything-or-nothing-in-uk-cinemas-oct-5/
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    Connery sometimes contradicts himself on the Bond thing. On the one hand he seemed glad to see the back of 007 because of the media attention & lengthy shooting schedules. On the other he once said if Broccoli & Saltzman had made him a partner they'd have had him in the role for many more years. It's difficult to ascertain the exact truth as the years go by.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    True, but take it from me, you can put up with added grief and stress if you're getting a lot more money from it. It smoothes things over, same with any job. If you sense underneath it all you're getting shafted, it makes a big difference. But yes, I see what you mean. If Connery were a partner, he'd be even less able to do his other 'indie' movies probably.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    If Connery had been made a Partner, I wonder how the '70s & '80s would have panned out with him still in the role? One of those interesting 'what if' scenarios. I think plot-wise the films may have remained the same but the jokey elements would have been toned down. Connery, quite simply, does not do slapstick. It just doesn't suit his demeanour no matter how silly DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER is considered in some quarters.
  • BodieBodie Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    I like to think that if Connery had been a partner we might have been spared the RM comedies of the 70's. However, I understand he had a lot of imput into DAF and look waht a dogs breakfast that turned out to be.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Moore Than wrote:
    Just letting you know that there is already a topic on Everything or Nothing which can be found at the link below.

Bond documentary Everything or Nothing in UK cinemas Oct 5
    http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/39089/bond-documentary-everything-or-nothing-in-uk-cinemas-oct-5/

Oh, I did not see that and did not intend to create a double thread. I placed it here because the documentary is in fact marketing for Skyfall.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    BIG TAM wrote:
    Connery sometimes contradicts himself on the Bond thing. On the one hand he seemed glad to see the back of 007 because of the media attention & lengthy shooting schedules. On the other he once said if Broccoli & Saltzman had made him a partner they'd have had him in the role for many more years. It's difficult to ascertain the exact truth as the years go by.

Well, I don't think they should have necessarily made Connery a partner, but they should have paid him more because Connery was a big part of the recipe for success. If it were not for Connery, I don't think we'd be talking about the franchise today.

I think that Broccoli was, in part, correct. That Bond is not dependent on one actor. However, Bond needed Connery first in order to give the franchise legs and he should have been paid more for his success in the role. Lest we forget, Thunderball still ranks as the top grossing Bond film of all time adjusted for inflation.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I enjoyed the documentary as well, and I, too, was touched by the story about the call between Connery and Cubby Broccoli. It's good to know there was a reconciliation of sorts before Cubby died.
    I saw this on Epix here in the States along with The Secrets Of Skyfall on Global James Bond Day. I though it was pretty good. One thing that was interesting was that David Picker (United Artists) said it was stupid that Broccoli and Saltzman did not re-negotiate Connery's contract. Particularly in light of the fact that both Broccoli an Saltzman re-negotiated their contracts with United Artists.

The other thing that was interesting was that Connery called Broccoli when Broccoli was ill before his death. Broccoli said essentially to Connery that they made something great and that he loved Connery. Connery said that he loved Broccoli too. I thought that was just great. Glad that happened! Brought tears to Barbara's eyes who helped facilitate the call.

DG
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    Does anyone know if this will be released internationally? Or at least, online? It has not yet aired here that I am aware of, nor is it to be released in the cinemas.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"