James Bond And Swearing

BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
edited October 2012 in Skyfall - Bond 23 (2012)
I've been reading a bit about SKYFALL & noted there's an utterance of the F-word within its 142 minute running time. I may be showing my age but if that is the case then it's a shame. Whether aimed more at adults in the '60s or kids in the '70s, Bond films have always essentially been family films.

I may have the charge of hypocrisy levelled at me for having no problems with a more hard-edged attitude to violence, but violence has always been part of the character's make-up. Hence the one-liners to alleviate the brutality. Hard swearing just seems so out of character & I'd always hoped cussing might be kept to a bare minimum. I'm no prude (heck, SCARFACE & GOODFELLAS are two of my favourite films) but it just doesn't suit Bond's world.

It won't ultimately turn me off an otherwise high quality film. It's just a shame they've had to resort to it, that's all.

PS I've just remembered J.W. Pepper almost utteringing the word in LIVE & LET DIE & Dalton coming close to mouthing it when fending off the swordfish in LICENCE TO KILL. I suppose if used for comic effect I might be spared my blushes.

Comments

• minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    To be honest, I don't mind bond (or any other character) uttering a naughty word in the heat of a moment. I think it adds realism to a scene when a character reacts naturally with a 'Jesus Christ!' etc instead of acting all super human and brushing the situation off in, what can sometimes be, an unrealistic manner.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    It's rated PG-13 in the States so there can't be too many f-bombs. The MPAA film rating system can really be bizarre in the States. You can still get a PG-13 if you only use the F word once and not as a sexual reference.
  • Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    It's 12A in Britain (even under 12s can attend if they are with an adult), I'm not sure if that's a higher or lower rating than PG13!

But anyway, I remember being surprised by the F-bomb, thinking it was a little out of tone for a Bond film but that it worked and was funny. But I can't for the life of me remember where it happened! Can anybody remind me ('neath cover of a spoiler alert of course!)?

JediM
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
    It's 12A in Britain (even under 12s can attend if they are with an adult), I'm not sure if that's a higher or lower rating than PG13!

But anyway, I remember being surprised by the F-bomb, thinking it was a little out of tone for a Bond film but that it worked and was funny. But I can't for the life of me remember where it happened! Can anybody remind me ('neath cover of a spoiler alert of course!)?

JediM
    the f bomb is said by M in skyfall lodge where she admits to Bond that she "really f@cked up haven't I?". Naughty M.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • HoagieHoagie Posts: 48MI6 Agent

JediM

I was surprised by it too, and baulked a little thinking maybe using the 'F' word was a bit much in a Bond film. Then I remembered it was the 21st century and not 1962, and am now quite comfortable with it's inclusion.
    Hoagie wrote:

JediM

I was surprised by it too, and baulked a little thinking maybe using the 'F' word was a bit much in a Bond film. Then I remembered it was the 21st century and not 1962, and am now quite comfortable with it's inclusion.

I think it was used for a variety of reasons, to add humour, to show the severity of the situation, to shock a little as we don't expect it and to show the character's vulnerability and fact that they aren't perfect.

I think I worked rather well, pleased that it isn't a regular occurrence and wouldn't mind if it was done again.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • schaduwoogschaduwoog Posts: 97MI6 Agent
    I didn't notice actually. 'Messed up' would be better. Someone decided to throw in some cool hollywood lines, like
    'I never liked this house anyway' or something like that. Also a poor line, we immediately got loved with this house, it's beautiful shown, good atmosphere and then we hear Bond that negative about it. I thought it was very bad and not that 'Bondian'. All to be funny, which it isn't. It's more a terminator or triple X line.
  • Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    schaduwoog wrote:
    I didn't notice actually. 'Messed up' would be better. Someone decided to throw in some cool hollywood lines, like
    'I never liked this house anyway' or something like that. Also a poor line, we immediately got loved with this house, it's beautiful shown, good atmosphere and then we hear Bond that negative about it. I thought it was very bad and not that 'Bondian'. All to be funny, which it isn't. It's more a terminator or triple X line.

What do you mean?! That kind of throw away line is exactly Bondian! He was clearly distraught about his childhood home being destroyed but he was brushing it off in a nonchalant manner to continue with the job in hand! I thought that was classic Bond, as was the destruction of the car and the look he gave the camera at that point (although I thought they slightly missed the comic tone in that case, but then maybe you preferred that one?).

I guess we've given up with spoilers? :P
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I loved the Line from M, Thought it very Funny and Very Human.
    It's what any of us would of said. ( well I would ) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    Saw the film on Saturday. Loved it, like so many. M's use of the F-word didn't cause me to have a seizure. Dench's diction was so poor it barely registered!

I broached this subject to a couple of fellow fans after the screening. They also said it's 2012 not 1962; times change. They then said they liked Brosnan's adventures more. I asked why. They said they were more escapist entertainment, like the '60s & '70s. Ah, so one isn't happy with the general content changing, just the language? They then swore at me & we continued to drink beer.
    I can't wait to see the fan video with M swearing all over the place. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    Agree with Big Tam, muffled diction lost the impact
    Could be to get the 12A, They were made to make it Muffled. :#
  • jon_1ukjon_1uk Posts: 672MI6 Agent
    Could be to get the 12A, They were made to make it Muffled. :#
    mmm i thought it was just said in a low voice as if she was thinking out loud..
    i think it added realism to the situation because if it was a true event i am sure that phrase and worse would of been used.
    IMHO bond films have been wrapped in cotton wool for to long and CR was a well needed reality check that made people remember that Bond is a licensed killer.
    "some men are coming to kill us, we're going to kill them first"