I had a thought (MAJOR SPOILER)

On the way home from seeing Skyfall I had a thought. A thought so powerful it's also a major spoiler so don't read on if you're avoiding them.

Silva's aim in Skyfall was to get revenge on M for abandoning him during a mission. He wanted to humiliate her by stealing the drive containing the identity of all MI6 agents and going public with it. Which he did. M ended up in court and MI6 all over the news.

After this he wanted to be captured by MI6 so he could personally get at M to kill her. Well after a slight mishap on his part in the court he ended up doing just that, killing M.

So wait what?! Technically the bad guy won. Yes he died in the process, but he got what he wanted. This is a first, not only for Bond but for action/thriller films in general. So did Bond actually loose?

Comments

• thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Win or lose? Life's not that simple is it? There is no happily ever after. Yes M died, but she died bringing Silva down. Bond killed Silva - so technically Bond won and Silva lost, but acheived his objective. Like fighting a war - it's merely a lot of battles. When you tally the outcome of the battle, it may seem pointless. But when you tally the battles overall - you get the outcome of the war.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • Smiert-SpionamSmiert-Spionam Posts: 318MI6 Agent
    Not quite. As far as I remember it Silva wanted to kill M himself. He even directly orders his henchmen to not hurt her and bring her to him. However M dies from a gunshot wound inflicted by one of the henchmen (I think). So you could technically say Silva won but it's not the way he would have wanted it to end.
    Smiert Spionam
  • icsics Posts: 1,413MI6 Agent
    We LOVE it right - also remeber that for ones Silva is really a shadow of Bond... Bond could have been Silva if the circumstances were different (Both sacrificed by M at one point)... in many ways I love the plot as it is so realistic in many ways…
  • Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    I suppose technically he got what he wanted, but he didn't know M was going to die so he probably died thinking Bond had beaten him.
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
  • SeanConnery007SeanConnery007 The Bond Archive - London, EngPosts: 169MI6 Agent
    I think Silva ultimately had a psychotic and deluded Oedipus Mother-Son relationship with M, and so his plan all along was to catch-up with her and take pleasure in ending their lives together - a sacrifice of Mother and her son. So ultimately he failed, he didn't die with his 'Mother' - she died due to her wounds and Bond dispatched him. 007 wins everytime :007)
    Nobody Writes Threads Better.
  • BleuvilleBleuville Posts: 384MI6 Agent
    I suppose technically he got what he wanted, but he didn't know M was going to die so he probably died thinking Bond had beaten him.

"Last Rat standing" .

Bleuville.
  • FitzochrisFitzochris Posts: 242MI6 Agent
    007 wins everytime :007)

Unless George Lazenby is playing him.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,298MI6 Agent
    Jimatay wrote:
    On the way home from seeing Skyfall I had a thought. A thought so powerful it's also a major spoiler so don't read on if you're avoiding them.

Silva's aim in Skyfall was to get revenge on M for abandoning him during a mission. He wanted to humiliate her by stealing the drive containing the identity of all MI6 agents and going public with it. Which he did. M ended up in court and MI6 all over the news.

After this he wanted to be captured by MI6 so he could personally get at M to kill her. Well after a slight mishap on his part in the court he ended up doing just that, killing M.

So wait what?! Technically the bad guy won. Yes he died in the process, but he got what he wanted. This is a first, not only for Bond but for action/thriller films in general. So did Bond actually loose?

Craig's Bond is the Wayne Rooney of MI6. Everyone says how good he's gonna be and he balls it up more than if he stayed away. Think how the villains got away with a suitcase of cash at the end of CR, plus the girl dies. Maybe in the next film we'll find out he's been working for the other side all along.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    Oh come on Nap!
    We had a great night though didn't we?

Loved it in IMAX. Three viewings now and still loving it.
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    Fitzochris wrote:
    007 wins everytime :007)

Unless George Lazenby is playing him.

:))
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,298MI6 Agent
    Oh come on Nap!
    We had a great night though didn't we?

Loved it in IMAX. Three viewings now and still loving it.

Indeed we did. Shame we had to spoil it though by seeing Skyfall.... :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    Craig's Bond the Wayne Rooney of MI6. That's made me chuckle. :)) Napoleon, I don't agree with your viewpoint of the film, but it's a good line & made me laugh.

Perhaps Craig's Bond will show himself to really be Ernest Stavro Blofeld at the end of Bond 24. :D