The PPK

Did anyone else notice that Bond doesn't hit anything hes shooting at with the PPK, with the exception of a door lock and fire extinguisher that's right in front of him, not to mention he loses 3 PPK's throughout the film. But i don't think during the evaluation scenes that Bond's shooting was off, i think it was just the PPK :)) I know for dramatic purposes they cant have him hit everything he shoots at but i couldn't help but think this is fairly authentic to the accuracy and firepower the PPK has compared to all the Glock 17s in the film. perhaps one of the gun experts could chime in?

Comments

• JamesBondGuyJamesBondGuy DenmarkPosts: 144MI6 Agent
    I noticed that Bond uses his signature gun with gloves on in Shanghai. He doesn't fire it, but he will be dissapointed if he try :))
  • don pdon p Posts: 589MI6 Agent
    I noticed that Bond uses his signature gun with gloves on in Shanghai. He doesn't fire it, but he will be dissapointed if he try :))

hahaha,,
  • TecoloteTecolote Mississippi,USAPosts: 121MI6 Agent
    His best shooting is with the Glock 17 on Silva's island(100% hits, I believe, but then that's what the script called for),and he does do pretty well in the inquistion gunfight with the PPK. The PPK is a lot harder to shoot accurately under stress at the ranges shown in the movie,especially in the PTS. My last outing with my PPK was absolutely abysmal, and I haven't fallen off any bridges or been
    hit with depleted uranium bullt fragments recently :) .

Regards,

Tecolote
  • cdsdsscdsdss JakartaPosts: 144MI6 Agent

When was this? I rewatched the movie last night and didn't see any scene in which he used the gun while wearing gloves. He makes a point to take them off before he tries the gun out for the first time, and keeps them off throughout the fight with Patrice.
    Tecolote wrote:
    His best shooting is with the Glock 17 on Silva's island(100% hits, I believe, but then that's what the script called for),and he does do pretty well in the inquistion gunfight with the PPK. The PPK is a lot harder to shoot accurately under stress at the ranges shown in the movie,especially in the PTS. My last outing with my PPK was absolutely abysmal, and I haven't fallen off any bridges or been
    hit with depleted uranium bullt fragments recently :) .

Regards,

Tecolote

True enough. Another oddity is during the marksmanship test, where, according to the range markings, Bond is firing from 20 meters. Yet, if you look at the actual distance between Bond and the target, he can't be any more than 10 (he covers it pretty quickly when walking).
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    I think bringing back the PPK was so forced and obligatory to satisfy fan demand as perceived by EON. The PPK should be heralded with fanfare along with Bond's expert marksmanship, instead of seeing something similar to Clint Eastwood's rusty gunman character in the Unforgiven. Then, the "signature gun" gimmick only to work in the same way used in LTK, it seems that Bond lucked out by the way the gun was made idiot-proof, "just in case someone manages to take it away from you." Also, did Bond end up leaving the gun in the Komodo Dragon pit? If yes, so much build up about the PPK's return, which was rendered practically useless.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Mister GreeneMister Greene Posts: 224MI6 Agent
    The sights on the ppk are not the best I. The world and if you are
    gonna carry it for real a trigger job is a must (see a company called cylinder and slide) that being said the ppk is a great gun for 007 to carry though the walther pps may be a better choice in the future.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,743MI6 Agent
    The PPS would seem to be the logical gun for Bond to carry in 2012. However, most of the general movie going public don't really know the difference. Maybe Q Branch will re-arm 007 in 24 with the PPS.
  • PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    The PPS would seem to be the logical gun for Bond to carry in 2012. However, most of the general movie going public don't really know the difference. Maybe Q Branch will re-arm 007 in 24 with the PPS.

I love the PPK, but the PPS is a better choice and i agree
    Yes the PPS is a better weapon and more modern. But the PPS is ugly as ****, and not very elegant compared to the PPK. It's not about how it shoots, it's about how it looks on the screen.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    cdsdss wrote:

When was this? I rewatched the movie last night and didn't see any scene in which he used the gun while wearing gloves. He makes a point to take them off before he tries the gun out for the first time, and keeps them off throughout the fight with Patrice.

Yeh, this is one of the inconsistancies.... he's got bare hands in the fight with Patrice, but then for some reason he has them on when Patrice is hanging off the edge of the building.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'd say he slipped the gloves Back On, It must of been cold with the window broken. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited November 2012
    The sights on the ppk are not the best I. The world and if you are
    gonna carry it for real a trigger job is a must (see a company called cylinder and slide) that being said the ppk is a great gun for 007 to carry though the walther pps may be a better choice in the future.

I'm not so sure about the trigger job. Yeah, that DA trigger pull is heavy, but it's crisp with almost no slack. I might go with the Crimson Trace grips, just because the sights are so hard to acquire in stress-fire shooting.

+1 on the PPS. No, it's not as elegant as the PPK, but what is? It's certainly no uglier than a Glock. I think the problem with it from a cinematic point-of-view is that without a hammer or manual safety you can't have any sound-effects to accompany it on screen. This may sound silly, but any sound designer will tell you how important accompanying sound effects are. Think of how much less effective that scene in GoldenEye would have been without the hammer-cocking after "No more foreplay," line.

walthers11.jpg
  • Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond +++ Classified +++Posts: 569MI6 Agent

He definitely takes the gloves off in the car at the beginning of that scene in Shanghai before trying it out.

However in the first official Skyfall picture released by eon he is wearing a pair of gloves in that same scene.

http://www.007.com/bond-is-back/
    The name's Bond_James_Bond
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Mabey his gloves also have his palm print imbebed in them.
    Sort of thing a young Q would do. Kids these days. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Maybe Bond's next personal protection pistol won't be a Walther. I'm guessing there may be some other small but potent autos out there that may be more appealing looking than the PPS.
    I need to preface this by saying I know very little about guns. Here are some possible replacements for the PPK that I chose just based upon asthetics, compactness and the ability to fire a potent caliber bullet. If any folks who are well versed on firearms could chime in on them, it would be great.

Beretta PX4 Storm Compact 9mm
    Sig 220R Compact 45 cal
    Sig 224 Small 9mm

Sig 232 380 (This caught my eye, as it appears (at least cosmetically) to be Sig's modern version of the Walther PPK).
    HowardB wrote:
    I need to preface this by saying I know very little about guns. Here are some possible replacements for the PPK that I chose just based upon asthetics, compactness and the ability to fire a potent caliber bullet. If any folks who are well versed on firearms could chime in on them, it would be great.

Beretta PX4 Storm Compact 9mm
    Sig 220R Compact 45 cal
    Sig 224 Small 9mm

Sig 232 380 (This caught my eye, as it appears (at least cosmetically) to be Sig's modern version of the Walther PPK).

They're all good guns (I'm not a Beretta fan, but to each their own), but those are all much larger than the PPK*, and thus defeat the purpose of replacing it. Bond might as well just go back to the P99.

* With the exception of the Sig P232, but I don't think that gun is any better than the PPK. That European-style magazine release is a killer for combat-reloads (makes them damn near impossible), and is now obsolete.
  • draxhugodraxhugo Posts: 97MI6 Agent
    edited January 2013
    Deleted
  • TecoloteTecolote Mississippi,USAPosts: 121MI6 Agent
    The lack of an external hammer has never stopped a foley artist or sound effects person from adding it into the scene,usually
    with what sounds like a single action revolver being cocked... :)

Regards,

Tecolote
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    draxhugo wrote:
    If I was the kind of guy who would have to rely on a handgun with limited access to gunsmith..I'd go with a CZ75C.

Great reliability,
    Great ergonomics,
    Not really giving out any intel.

PPK and 380 are a thing of the past.

Speaking from experience, Czech made arms are very very well put together. A BRNO air pistol I have can easily hold its own up against walthers and styrs (typo?) of 3 times the price.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Just checked out the CZ website. The CZ 2075 RAMI looks to me like something James Bond would carry....much more classic looking than most of the polymer autos we see today. The website listed it as .40 cal. Forgive my gun ignorance, but how potent would that be compared to a PPK (firing 9mm short as in Skyfall)?
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    I'm no expert on the subject but, if the PPK was standard issue in 1962, surely it's a little obsolete by now. I see no reason why Bond can't have a more modern handgun such as the P99 and still keep the PPK holstered on his ankle or something.

Or, we could have M insist on taking Bond's PPK in return for a new gun like M taking his beretta in DN, and putting the gun in his desk drawer. Then later in the film Bond, in some sort of desperation can grab the gun from M's desk and save MI6, which will once again be under attack. Kind've like the DB5's appearance in SF.
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
    P99 is just too big to be concealed (would make more sense stashed in the glovebox of his car).

There has to be a compact auto out there that looks decent that would fit the bill.
    Walther P99QA Compact Pistol
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    H&K USP 9mm compact?
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • draxhugodraxhugo Posts: 97MI6 Agent
    edited January 2013
    Deleted