SPOILER - Has Bond stopped being Jason Bourne and become Bruce Wayne

CR and QOS were obviously heavily influenced by Jason Bourne but in SF Bond seems now to be closer to Bruce Wayne:

Dead parents
Unhappy childhood
Psychological issues with both
Kincade a sort of Alfred
The need for a challenging enemy and a crisis to re-energise him and get him back to his former self

Is this just me or does anyone else see it.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think you have a Point, Bodie. Mabey we'll get some Star wars Influences
    in the next couple with the next three Star Wars movies getting the gren light. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • don pdon p Posts: 589MI6 Agent
    fleming wrote the books, he wrote about the parents death........long before the caped crusader,,,
    Batman first appeared in 1939, so He was here before Bond. so He wins :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • don pdon p Posts: 589MI6 Agent
    Batman first appeared in 1939, so He was here before Bond. so He wins :))

god dang !!!! lol,,,
    Fleming seemed to give Bond a pleasant childhood. At the start of OHMSS Bond
    thinks back to his childhood and it's all sunshine, sand castles and lemonade.
    So I do think they are slightly trying to give Bond a Darker childhood and yet
    more personal angst. ( as if he didn't have enough, already ) :))
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    The Bruce Wayne/Dark Knight influence in Skyfall is no coincidence. Sam Mendes has said he was directly inspired by what those films achieved, he goes into some detail in the article below.

Exclusive: Sam Mendes Says He Was "Not At All" Interested In Bond At First, Took Direct Inspiration From Nolan's 'Dark Knight' Films
    http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/sam-mendes-says-he-was-not-at-all-interested-in-bond-at-first-took-direct-inspiration-from-christopher-nolans-dark-knight-films-20121018?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent

I also seem to remember "tea at other children's houses" which always struck me as a bit sad. Also it's not too far a stretch to imagine that loosing his parents while still a child cannot of been a hoot. As always Fleming is keen to give us enough to flesh out the cipher, but leave room for ambiguity and conjecture (in high falutin lit-crit this makes the Novels 'readerly texts' as not everything is dictated to us) My concern is that too much focus on back story undoes the trick and alters the mythos (if you will, and even if you won't ;) )
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Ive seen the film 5 times now with different people each viewing and some of my friends pointed out how much it reminded them of Nolan's Batman films, especially the plot device of having Silva escape his cell as if he wanted to be caught all along is ripped directly from the dark knight.
    As Elvira would put it " I ripped this off... I mean. I was Inspired by " :))
    First Posted by Blackleiter
    http://news.moviefone.com/scott-mendelson/skyfall-bond-girls_b_2170456.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&ir=Entertainment
    The World Is Not Enough dealt with Bond more-or-less falling in love with what should have been a random conquest, which of course makes her betrayal sting all the more. Chris Nolan obviously liked this idea, since he borrowed it for The Dark Knight Rises.

Nice to see the "Inspiration " Works both ways. :))
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    I didn't notice the similarities until someone pointed it out. It seemed that begining with the reboot, there already was an effort to go to Bond's roots but of course it needed to be sensationalized...Vesper didn't merely poison herself, she had to die by drowning, in a cage elevator, in a collapsing building, in Venice, Italy. Bond's dead parents, whose demise albeit exotic was a brief mention in the novels is something just too good to not exploit in the film series and I won't be surprised if sometime later they build up a sinister and complex backstory behind their death, just as John Pearson did in the Authorized Biography of 007.

In Skyfall, yes, very Batman and yet with the possible attempt at the Bond version of Wayne Manor, an estate in the Scottish Moors was pretty neat.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    Far from Batman, Bond seems to be a Bit Like " Bob the Builder"
    Given the amount of Construction equipment he knows how to drive.
    Did he spend a gap year working on a few Building Sites. :))
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    zaphod wrote:

I also seem to remember "tea at other children's houses" which always struck me as a bit sad. Also it's not too far a stretch to imagine that loosing his parents while still a child cannot of been a hoot. As always Fleming is keen to give us enough to flesh out the cipher, but leave room for ambiguity and conjecture (in high falutin lit-crit this makes the Novels 'readerly texts' as not everything is dictated to us) My concern is that too much focus on back story undoes the trick and alters the mythos (if you will, and even if you won't ;) )
    If I recall correctly, that whole passage is also supposed to show the contrast between how a child sees the world and how an adult sees the very same scene. Bond as an adult seems the dirtiness of the beach and the scrubby-ness of the children, something that would escape a child, even one who, perhaps, had a less-than-ideal childhood.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,816MI6 Agent
    I don't think the simulareties between Nolan's Batman and Skyfall aren't too strong. Batman doesn't have a monopoly on being an orphan in a manor and an elderly male mentor.
    I also don't think Skyfall went too far in changing and exploiting Bond's childhood story. It was Jeffrey Deaver who did that :#
  • jeffchjeffch Posts: 163MI6 Agent
    don p wrote:
    fleming wrote the books, he wrote about the parents death........long before the caped crusader,,,

Actually Batman was first :D
  • Blood_StoneBlood_Stone Posts: 183MI6 Agent
    James Bond got the reboot idea from the Batman franchise.

The Dark Knight nodded 007 by using The Skyhook and the knife shoe.

The nod was returned with The Bond having to confront The Silva.
  • perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    Bodie wrote:
    CR and QOS were obviously heavily influenced by Jason Bourne but in SF Bond seems now to be closer to Bruce Wayne:

Dead parents
    Unhappy childhood
    Kincade a sort of Alfred
    The need for a challenging enemy and a crisis to re-energise him and get him back to his former self

Waiting for the 'Bond' signal?

skyfall03.jpg
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
    Bodie wrote:

Dead parents
    Unhappy childhood
    Kincade a sort of Alfred

http://n007.thegoldeneye.com/film_commentary/skyfall_review.html#007_no_more
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent

I think he was thinking about outings with his parents during coastal holidays, which would have been a treat compared with living at Skyfall, though it's possible he disliked it mostly because it was so remote and he would have not had any friends his age to play with. It must have been a relief to him after they passed when his aunt took him in and the moved to Kent.
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 43MI6 Agent
    Bodie wrote:

Dead parents
    Unhappy childhood
    Kincade a sort of Alfred

You forgot to mention that he also has a cavernous secret tunnel under his family manor.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Cubby wrote:
    Bodie wrote:

Dead parents
    Unhappy childhood
    Kincade a sort of Alfred

You forgot to mention that he also has a cavernous secret tunnel under his family manor.

And a magnificent car packed full of gadgets...
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,697MI6 Agent
    I think the current Bond is influenced by Fleming's work - he came first, the character second.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    The scene in Shanghai where Bond is holding Patrice and Patrice eventually falls actually reminded me of the seen in Cloud City in "The Empire Strikes Back". I thought Bond was going to say "...Patrice - I am Your Faaather" :))
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,402Chief of Staff
    Surprising that the Caped Crusader's influence should have taken this long to appear in the Bond movies when their producer and sometime writer really is the "Son of Batman"..... :o http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/21717/the-7-actors-who-have-played-batman
    Far from Batman, Bond seems to be a Bit Like " Bob the Builder"
    Given the amount of Construction equipment he knows how to drive.
    Did he spend a gap year working on a few Building Sites. :))

I love it, very funny! :))